Where to get foreign food groceries you can't find in CM?

stargazer9999

6 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Want to mention the very fine Thailand produced FETA CHEESE now found in Rimping, at HomePro.  NO import tax, great feta taste, local cows etc.  Cost: 200 net gms at baht 155.

Is this feta as good as goat milk feta imported from Greece in a glass jar?  I suspect not but local feta is 1/2 the price and nearly as good. Up to you.

Is the Home Pro at SANSAI only one I could think of ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

learn to eat Thai food. Only other foods I eat are: PB&J,  and Chex cereals. Thai food is very healthy and delicious. Chillies are good for you, read up on health benefits of chillies, just have dairy products available.

On 12/22/2017 at 11:01 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Something to keep in mind; the Rimping markets don't all carry the same things. What Rimping by the river has might not be found in Rimping Nim City, etc.  Same holds true for the Tops stores as well. It's best not to write one chain off simply because what was wanted wasn't found in one of the stores.  Pain in the ass but in the long run it's worth it to check out ALL the different branches.

And Tesco too,

Tesco Superhighway (Chang Puak) has Tesco onion gravy granules (UK), never seen it in the other Tesco stores.

4 hours ago, themerg said:

learn to eat Thai food. Only other foods I eat are: PB&J,  and Chex cereals. Thai food is very healthy and delicious. Chillies are good for you, read up on health benefits of chillies, just have dairy products available.

Why should one learn to eat Thai food only?

I accept that food is basically to keep us alive but why not enjoy it in the process.

When I lived in Australia I ate food originating from many countries including Thai and it was nutritious and healthy.

Not all Thai food is healthy and particularly the way some of it is cooked.

The reason perhaps why there is such a high level of diabetes in Thailand.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I accept that food is basically to keep us alive but why not enjoy it in the process.

When I lived in Australia I ate food originating from many countries including Thai and it was nutritious and healthy.

Exactly. I never understand the ‘You’re in Thailand so eat Thai food’ mentality. In the UK I enjoyed British, French, Italian, Caribbean, Indian, Chinese, Spanish, Moroccan, Turkish and Greek food to name just a few. Why should I restrict myself to a single cuisine when I move to Thailand?

Edited by Mark1066

Chillies are NOT Thai food.  Learn the facts from Wikipedia:

"Chilies were grown and cultivated from 3500 BC. Mexicans used it to spice up their food. Chili was brought to the rest of the world by Christopher Columbus who discovered America in 1493. Christopher had set from Spain to reach India to bring spices such as pepper back to his country. " 

Same for corn (maize), tomatoes, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, cabbage, etc.  All white flour products (bread, pizza, biscuits, cakes) are certainly non-Thai, as are all dairy products. 

So we are left with white rice, chicken, pig meat, water buffalos and river fish. If told to avoid imported, processed food i might agree but damn, i do like those corn chips and pint of beer after walking the golf course.

17 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

And Tesco too,

Tesco Superhighway (Chang Puak) has Tesco onion gravy granules (UK), never seen it in the other Tesco stores.

That stuffs really crap,bought some and threw it away,was like brown

plastic granules,no taste,cheap at 40 THB,but better pay lot more for

Bisto granules.

regards wrgeordie

3 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Chillies are NOT Thai food.  Learn the facts from Wikipedia:

"Chilies were grown and cultivated from 3500 BC. Mexicans used it to spice up their food. Chili was brought to the rest of the world by Christopher Columbus who discovered America in 1493. Christopher had set from Spain to reach India to bring spices such as pepper back to his country. " 

Same for corn (maize), tomatoes, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, cabbage, etc.  All white flour products (bread, pizza, biscuits, cakes) are certainly non-Thai, as are all dairy products. 

So we are left with white rice, chicken, pig meat, water buffalos and river fish. If told to avoid imported, processed food i might agree but damn, i do like those corn chips and pint of beer after walking the golf course.

Chillies are an important ingredient of Thai cuisine and have been for hundreds of years - what does it matter where they were first cultivated?  Do you think that potatoes aren't a mainstay of British or North American cuisine, simply because they were first cultivated in South America?

Edited by Mark1066

On 1/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, themerg said:

Thai food is not healthy at all unless prepared like we do at home with olive oil, no MSG, veggies soaked in Bicarbonate of soda, brown rice ( or Riceberry) and so forth.

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What do Thai villagers and small town dwellers do.  Do they use MSG from plastic packets in their food or do they just prepare the food they produce locally, with local spices, ingredients etc?

They purchase additives like MSG, salt, sugar, oil and fish sauce in bulk from places like Macro.  Haven't you noticed how these items are sold in bulk and available at little stores in every village?  MSG is phong chu rot, which literally translates as "powder to improve flavor".  

On 1/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, themerg said:

Thai food is full of MSG, sugar, salt, pesticides and often liver flukes.

Thai food is not healthy and many Thais die early from eating the poisons they are fed.

25 minutes ago, NancyL said:

They purchase additives like MSG, salt, sugar, oil and fish sauce in bulk from places like Macro.  Haven't you noticed how these items are sold in bulk and available at little stores in every village?  MSG is phong chu rot, which literally translates as "powder to improve flavor".  

Lots of Macro stores in the hills are there.

Yes they will buy/use oil, sugar salt etc from the local Mom&Pop but I don't see any packets of MSG in the family larder when we visit the extended family out in the sticks.

Edited by scottiejohn

On 1/11/2018 at 6:36 PM, StevieAus said:

I did it for about 3 years then I bought a pizza oven and Italian flour and imported mozzarella and large sticks of pepperoni and have never looked back.  For me a diet is Margherita pizza (no meat). Ham sandwich is pizza with ham.  Salad is pizza with salad on top.  There's Detroit Pizza, Neapolitan Pizza, Chicago style Pizza, New York Pizza.  A different one for every day of the week and bacon and egg pizza for breakfast.  

Edited by amvet

41 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Lots of Macro stores in the hills are there.

Yes they will buy/use oil, sugar salt etc from the local Mom&Pop but I don't see any packets of MSG in the family larder when we visit the extended family out in the sticks.

The local Mom & Pop stores buy their inventory from Macro and then resell.  MSG isn't bought in little packets, but rather in larger packets like this.  It's used in cooking in much the same way salt, sugar and fish sauce are used -- as a seasoning.  I'd expect that your Thai family is throwing a little MSG into the wok when they prepare food.  It's a white powder and you probably thought it was sugar or salt.

MSG.jpg

13 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

A lot of times it is in sauces like Maggi (glutamate) . I always think it is funny that some restaurants advertise no MSG, but everyone is loading on the Maggi without realizing it is the pretty much the same thing. Personally, I agree with the findings that it is not harmful.

16 hours ago, elektrified said:

Thai food is not healthy at all unless prepared like we do at home with olive oil, no MSG, veggies soaked in Bicarbonate of soda, brown rice ( or Riceberry) and so forth.

While baking soda solution is good for removing pesticide residues on the surface of fruits and vegetables. it doesn't affect systemic pesticides.

On 1/14/2018 at 6:12 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Thai food is full of MSG, sugar, salt, pesticides and often liver flukes.

Thai food is not healthy and many Thais die early from eating the poisons they are fed.

Sad but true.

There is an excellent documentary (I don't know how to search for it in Thai), where two doctors - one from Bangkok and one from Chiang Rai who are the experts in the country on rice and have a research center at Mae Fah Luang University have to tell their patients who are dying of cancer, diabetes, liver cancer from flukes, etc. that "the food they are growing is killing them." Many of these people have no training whatsoever on how to use pesticides, how dangerous they are, etc. and many of them only eat white rice which is very unhealthy and has extremely high glycemic index causing diabetes.

On 1/14/2018 at 6:49 PM, amvet said:

I did it for about 3 years then I bought a pizza oven and Italian flour and imported mozzarella and large sticks of pepperoni and have never looked back.  For me a diet is Margherita pizza (no meat). Ham sandwich is pizza with ham.  Salad is pizza with salad on top.  There's Detroit Pizza, Neapolitan Pizza, Chicago style Pizza, New York Pizza.  A different one for every day of the week and bacon and egg pizza for breakfast.  

Sounds interesting but how is your Cholesterol level ?

7 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Glycemic index?  Glucose (a simple sugar) is the highest at 100 (an arbitrary index).  All other foods are evaluated against this.  White bread comes in at about 70, white rice a bit less, 64 .

Baked potato 85, and peanuts 14.

I’m told that the sticky rice that many seem to eat is full of sugar ?