Chinese tourist, 26, drowns at Patong Beach an hour after landing

rooster59

Chinese tourist, 26, drowns at Patong Beach an hour after landing 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1514013691_1-org.jpg

Tourists look on as 26-year-old Chinese tourist An Huifeng from Shanghai was pulled from the water unconscious near the Police Box on Patong Beach after 8am. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 26-year-old Chinese tourist drowned at Patong Beach this morning (Dec 23) little more than one hour after landing on the island for his holiday.

The tourist, An Huifeng, from Shanghai, was pulled from the water unconscious after 8am.

Efforts to revive him on the beach, near the Police Box at the end of Bangla Rd, failed, and Mr An was pronounced dead on arrival at Patong hospital minutes later.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-26-drowns-at-patong-beach-an-hour-after-landing-65258.php#Vci3rmdlQLvjJQzZ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-23

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

People die, people of all ages, many for different reasons, I'm sure the Tourism Minister didn't guarantee tourists immortality!

Apologies the tourist safety guarantee is for 2018. And it includes protection against crime and accidents, immortality well that's another story.

7 hours ago, PremiumLane said:
8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Conditions benign at the moment. See picture.

Some people would drown in a bathtub.

ahh nothing like the TVF expert... and I use expert as a loose term

Which of my quoted sentences are you referencing with your sarcasm?

I called the conditions benign based on a lifetime of experience spent in, on and under various oceans as a surfer, boat owner and diver. Also,I holidayed extensively in Patong over many years before moving permanently and living in that town for an extended time. I have swum in the bay there scores of times and know the waters very well. The conditions on the day this man drowned WERE very calm!

I am an actual expert on the subject.

My reference to bathtub drownings, while very factual, was a juxtaposition to illustrate that, in this instance, the mans death couldn't be attributed to environment.

I note you are a lightweight poster mostly making sarcastic comments about other people's contributions with little actual original thought of your own.

8 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

ahh nothing like the TVF expert... and I use expert as a loose term

Well, he's not  wrong. One doesn't know why the Chinese male drowned. often there are causative events such as a heart condition, epileptic seizure, diabetic shock, or over excitement.

44 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Well, he's not  wrong. One doesn't know why the Chinese male drowned. often there are causative events such as a heart condition, epileptic seizure, diabetic shock, or over excitement.

Another one who talks for the sake of it.

What is he not wrong about in his little attack on me?  I just made a very good argument that I am an expert on sea conditions there and that they weren't the cause of this guy's demise. I didn't make any statements about why he drowned.

Do you start off with an attitude about certain people then try to adapt your narrative to support your dislike. You should try actually reading what is said before mouthing off.

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Ask the experts at the Police Station..... They'll tell you it was suicide!    case closed.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I note you are a lightweight poster mostly making sarcastic comments about other people's contributions with little actual original thought of your own.

Isn't that something that he, or anyone else, is allowed to do? 

"...sarcastic comments about other people's contributions with little actual original thought of your own".

Time for you to read your comment that started this!

Edited by Just Weird

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Which of my quoted sentences are you referencing with your sarcasm?

I called the conditions benign based on a lifetime of experience spent in, on and under various oceans as a surfer, boat owner and diver. Also,I holidayed extensively in Patong over many years before moving permanently and living in that town for an extended time. I have swum in the bay there scores of times and know the waters very well. The conditions on the day this man drowned WERE very calm!

I am an actual expert on the subject.

My reference to bathtub drownings, while very factual, was a juxtaposition to illustrate that, in this instance, the mans death couldn't be attributed to environment.

100% correct.

The sea is currently like a placid lake.

Either the Chinese gentleman could not swim , or had some sort of medical issue.

Likely too anxious to go into the ocean forgetting that he cannot swim.

Excitement can distract people a lot. RIP  Holiday way to short, caution should

be used when arriving anywhere tropical from a cold climate country. Shock can be

a factor as well.

Geezer

What was the guy doing? Swimming? Snorkeling? I was a flight attendant for many years and I could see being not entirely acclimatized after a long flight in a pressurized tube to hop into water and be swimming an hour later. It's terribly dangerous to do it the other way if you've been scuba diving.

Nonetheless, I've lived in Laos, Korea and China. It's shocking to see how many locals can't swim and/or are afraid of the water. I lived beside a beautiful beach in Korea and I never met a Korean who could swim. They'd sit on the beach 10 meters from the water with life-jackets on.

Sad.....what a freaking tragedy to start a Christmas holiday.