Noise Levels

superal

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I agree but that won't stop anything, most countries in the world are noisy if you leave out Europe which has strict rules, take all of south America or China for instance. When a wedding took place right next to my house I took one look at the towers of speakers and moved my family out to a resort 10km away for one day and night, we had a great time actually, it was something we wouldn't normally have done and it didn't cost the earth.

In any civilized country you would normally be forewarned of such an event or even invited but here in Thailand they just go ahead without any consideration and nobody will complain because of the losing face thingy 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, Lite Beer said:

We have a funeral just down the road.

Started on Thursday and due to finish 25th or 26th.

Ear splitting distorted music and waffle.

So that is my Christmas screwed.

Do these people not realise how selfish they are?

There is no way it has to be that loud.

If people want to attend they will.

No need to deafen the whole village.

Probably the reason why Thai's shout all the time.

They are all deaf.

Of course they are, which is why they can sleep through anything.

I walked in front of speakers on Sanam Luang once and my ears actually hurt, yet Thais were standing there unperturbed.

PS, some Thais, IMO, don't have the gene to realise they are being selfish. I was married to one and her sister was the same, so must be a family trait.

5 hours ago, superal said:

In any civilized country you would normally be forewarned of such an event or even invited but here in Thailand they just go ahead without any consideration and nobody will complain because of the losing face thingy 

If you live in a village there is no need for an official invite, everybody knows everybody else and hence knows when a party is due. You don't have weddings and funerals every day, if you think about it the noisy parties aren't that often, of course when they happen close to you it can be annoying even if it isn't that often but it is the way things are done here,get used to it, it used to aggravate me as well for quite a few years before I chilled and went with the flow. Different countries different ways of behaving, when living in Germany I could never quite get used to the fact that one couldn't just drop in to see friends, you had to telephone first to say you were coming, even my adult daughter would be annoyed if I didn't ring up first, just the way it is.

@soalbundy

Where we live (village of around 90-100 houses) we do get forewarned, but unfortunately NOT all the time. We already have our suitcases packed earlier today (and the Hotel forewarned (fortunately they are good friends so they don't mind if we don't show and even if the room we booked isn't available they have something for us)) in case the party starts earlier then expected :post-4641-1156693976: but we are very fortunate that we can leave !

Edited by MJCM

13 hours ago, soalbundy said:

living in Germany I could never quite get used to the fact that one couldn't just drop in to see friends, you had to telephone first to say you were coming

Comparing a custom of politeness in another country with noise in Thailand doesn't make sense. The noise we talk about is harmful to health, disrupts people's lives, and robs everyone of the serenity every generation before us all enjoyed. Calling ahead and saying you are coming is both considerate and polite. I don't see the connection.

5 minutes ago, canopy said:

Comparing a custom of politeness in another country with noise in Thailand doesn't make sense. The noise we talk about is harmful to health, disrupts people's lives, and robs everyone of the serenity every generation before us all enjoyed. Calling ahead and saying you are coming is both considerate and polite. I don't see the connection.

Both are 'customs of politeness'.

Imo way overdone this moaning about noise, it is simply part of life here. It reminds me of people complaining about the noise when I was living in the heart of a big city. Simply part of living there.

14 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Imo way overdone this moaning about noise

Really, so what do you say to the students who have homework to do and tests the next day? I really want to hear your view. We are not talking about the drone of city noise, but over 100 decibels of ear piercing non-stop loud music. Many Thai houses, especially the poor, cannot even be completely closed to the outside.

Edited by canopy

1 hour ago, canopy said:

different customs, that's all. It is true that noise is a great source of annoyance but it would only be harmful to health if it was constant, living near an airport or near a busy road or a major building site for instance, you can't equate that with the occasional wedding or wake. Thais are only inconsiderate from our point of view. That they don't complain lies in the fact that they see little to complain about, if they feel inconvenienced it wouldn't be loss of face that would stop them from complaining, it would be because they rely on good will among themselves to survive ( in villages and other small communities) 

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

it would only be harmful to health if it was constant

Are we supposed to just take your word for it as some sort of authority on this matter, case closed? I think you need to do more research before saying something like this. Consider people just released from the hospital who are very sick and bed ridden and the doctor recommends rest for recovery. Can you say with 100% certainty blasting these people with loud music, denying them of sleep and keeping their brain overworked in total conflict of what the doctor ordered is not harming their health?

10 minutes ago, canopy said:

Are we supposed to just take your word for it as some sort of authority on this matter, case closed? I think you need to do more research before saying something like this. Consider people just released from the hospital who are very sick and bed ridden and the doctor recommends rest for recovery. Can you say with 100% certainty blasting these people with loud music, denying them of sleep and keeping their brain overworked in total conflict of what the doctor ordered is not harming their health?

How often would this 'blasting occur'? Let us not get emotional about it, if a Thai was released from hospital an occasional 'blasting' wouldn't bother him or her. In my village they are preparing the cremation of a beloved monk, been lying in state in a glass coffin for a year without decomposing (this was last night) yes there was party noise from the temple,went on until 3 am, maybe I have become immune, I found it disturbing but not unduly so,everybody else in my house slept soundly,including the one year old infant from my step daughter.

9 hours ago, canopy said:

As I said, you're way overdoing it.

Just because some can sleep does not help the one's that can't nor does it resolve any of the other noise associated problems. I am standing up for the poor and the sick suffering all over Thailand that have been kicked down and conditioned not to have a voice in this. I want to see kids have the opportunity to be what they want to be, not taught school is less important than other people's noise. A parent once said to me it would be wrong to complain about outdoor thai tourist karaoke at a resort because they were important people. You know what I said? A kid in the village is more important than any tourist. And it had a good impact because it's true. I also believe all the poor living in bamboo huts deserve the right to peace and quiet rather than it being a function of when someone wants to pop off on loud speakers. And as you know it isn't just the so called special occasions of funerals/weddings/ordinations. It's also the village head yacking, the temples, the school speakers,  the trucks selling wares, the resorts, the village drunks speaker systems, and who knows what noise "culture" will arrive tomorrow.

The thing that amazes me is just how unnecessary all this noise is and things in Thailand were perfectly fine before it all started up. In fact I sort of feel robbed of the real Thai culture. Imagine a ceremony that had a traditional Thai band with traditional instruments instead of loud speakers? It would be just so Thai and so exquisite. And to think not long ago all would have been that way and so many artistic bands could flourish all over Thailand. They've been pushed out in favor of noise.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Just because some can sleep does not help the one's that can't nor does it resolve any of the other noise associated problems. I am standing up for the poor and the sick suffering all over Thailand that have been kicked down and conditioned not to have a voice in this. I want to see kids have the opportunity to be what they want to be, not taught school is less important than other people's noise. A parent once said to me it would be wrong to complain about outdoor thai tourist karaoke at a resort because they were important people. You know what I said? A kid in the village is more important than any tourist. And it had a good impact because it's true. I also believe all the poor living in bamboo huts deserve the right to peace and quiet rather than it being a function of when someone wants to pop off on loud speakers. And as you know it isn't just the so called special occasions of funerals/weddings/ordinations. It's also the village head yacking, the temples, the school speakers,  the trucks selling wares, the resorts, the village drunks speaker systems, and who knows what noise "culture" will arrive tomorrow.

The thing that amazes me is just how unnecessary all this noise is and things in Thailand were perfectly fine before it all started up. In fact I sort of feel robbed of the real Thai culture. Imagine a ceremony that had a traditional Thai band with traditional instruments instead of loud speakers? It would be just so Thai and so exquisite. And to think not long ago all would have been that way and so many artistic bands could flourish all over Thailand. They've been pushed out in favor of noise.

.Excellent post and mentions most of the annoying , inconsiderate and unnecessary  making noise events . There is clearly a health issue caused by the excessive levels of noise pollution as proven in the western world . Maybe the doubters are unaware of problems caused by excessive noise as are the Thai folk . However it is not going to change anytime soon and is accepted as normal here but it does not make it any more bearable to me especially when your house is vibrating to the sounds of heavily based music 2 or 3 hundred meters away  and you have to shout to have a conversation . I am not living inside a town but have a community around me and there is always an event going on weekly and weekends for sure .

On 12/27/2017 at 12:30 PM, superal said:

Not true in my experience.

I was warned both times the noise from nearby neighbors was likely to affect me, and invited to join the party.

On 12/27/2017 at 12:10 PM, superal said:

You can find a quiet place on new years eve ? good luck and I hope not the frying pan / fire scenario 

Yup, where I live it will be v quiet new year's eve - other than the loud, bang fireworks from a long distance that are still incredibly loud miles away :sad:.

I love fireworks, but hate how the noise has become more important than the beauty.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:22 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course they are, which is why they can sleep through anything.

I walked in front of speakers on Sanam Luang once and my ears actually hurt, yet Thais were standing there unperturbed.

PS, some Thais, IMO, don't have the gene to realise they are being selfish. I was married to one and her sister was the same, so must be a family trait.

It boils down to Thai's are incredibly tolerant, but also incredibly inconsiderate.

But then again, when it comes to noise - so are many farang tourists/expats when it comes to inconsiderate....

Edited by dick dasterdly

Really wasn't that bad last night. Kind of surprised me. True, two nearby neighbors had their sound systems cranked up, but the music was mellower without that driving repetitive bass beat which usually drives me out of my mind. The sound of kids excitedly running around back and forth between the two houses and the laughter of women folk gave the celebrations a family oriented Fourth of July celebration feeling. And the music stopped right after the new year was rung in. It actually felt like my neighbors were being considerate of one another for a change.Thank God for small mercies. Really restored my sense that people can live in harmony.

In my village kids were setting off loud fireworks as late as 2am that woke some. In many places in Thailand including mine music and events must shut down at midnight, everyone knows this, and the local police will enforce this. I am not sure if it applies to new years eve or if they relax it for that night. In any event I don't see how stopping the music at midnight on new years eve is considerate. A lot of old folks in their 80's would want to go sleep for the last 4 hours of it the same as any other night. Newborn babies could be negatively impacted at all times. Again there's the sick and bed-ridden. So considerate to who exactly? The reality is that whenever one blasts a village with noise they are being inconsiderate no matter what time it is. Personally it's of little significance to me but I sympathize with those not as fortunate that suffer and do not like to see them swept under the rug.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

In my village kids were setting off loud fireworks as late as 2am that woke some. In many places in Thailand including mine music and events must shut down at midnight, everyone knows this, and the local police will enforce this. I am not sure if it applies to new years eve or if they relax it for that night. In any event I don't see how stopping the music at midnight on new years eve is considerate. A lot of old folks in their 80's would want to go sleep for the last 4 hours of it the same as any other night. Newborn babies could be negatively impacted at all times. Again there's the sick and bed-ridden. So considerate to who exactly? The reality is that whenever one blasts a village with noise they are being inconsiderate no matter what time it is. Personally it's of little significance to me but I sympathize with those not as fortunate that suffer and do not like to see them swept under the rug.

It all boils down to how often this happens, new years eve is once a year, weddings and funerals with the accompanying noise isn't that often, the rest of the time in the villages it is very quiet. It annoys us westerners when it happens, the Thais not so much, where are we, in Thailand, what right do we have to complain how Thais behave in Thailand,this isn't a western colony.

13 hours ago, soalbundy said:

...what right do we have to complain how Thais behave in Thailand

It's interesting you wrote this in response to a post that laid out how some Thai people are negatively impacted by the noise. Maybe you should try reading what you quoted. There was no complaints from westerners in it.

28 minutes ago, canopy said:

It's interesting you wrote this in response to a post that laid out how some Thai people are negatively impacted by the noise. Maybe you should try reading what you quoted. There was no complaints from westerners in it.

No mention of Thai people in that post, just a mention of 'people'. I also dislike noise, especialy when it is excessive and unnecessary but if you live in a country where it is the norm on some occasions one has to put up with it. In my village it is quiet 85% of the time so I accept the fact when it gets noisy, it makes for less mental conflict. My village has 3 westerners including myself, the other two always grumble when there is a festival, never heard a Thai moan about it even when they live next door to the source of noise. I say again, we have no right to complain how they live their lives in their own country. 

23 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I say again, we have no right to complain how they live their lives in their own country. 

And for the record, I am not complaining.

From all appearances you don't speak Thai fluently enough to have an idea how the Thai villagers feel about the noise thus your comments appear limited to understanding how yourself and 3 other westerners in your village feel. On the other hand I converse fluently with Thai people in their native language and thus probably have a much more accurate and relevant viewpoint. For instance, the only reason I knew fireworks were going off until 2am in our village is because it woke up some Thai villagers who were discussing it in not glowing terms the next day. Noise can bother Thai people. It's not just your grumpy western friends. Personally, i slept right through it.

1 minute ago, canopy said:

And for the record, I am not complaining.

From all appearances you don't speak Thai fluently enough to have an idea how the Thai villagers feel about the noise thus your comments appear limited to understanding how yourself and 3 other westerners in your village feel. On the other hand I converse fluently with Thai people in their native language and thus probably have a much more accurate and relevant viewpoint. For instance, the only reason I knew fireworks were going off until 2am in our village is because it woke up some Thai villagers who were discussing it in not glowing terms the next day. Noise can bother Thai people. It's not just your grumpy western friends. Personally, i slept right through it.

I not only speak Thai fluently I can read and write it. Fireworks are banned in my village, even for new year and the head man enforces it, but we get the odd juvenile who lets off a few rockets, doesn't bother me.Yes it sometimes bothers Thais but they find ways round it, one family had a son who was studying for his exams in the university the next morning when an impromtu party took place next door to them, he went to the temple and slept there for the night, he needn't have bothered because even though I live 300 meters away I found it excessive (my windows rattled) I rang up the head man and he stopped it immediately,so when I find that it is O.T. I do complain, but I don't grumble about it, I complain to the authorities

17 hours ago, canopy said:

Ban New Year's Eve perhaps?

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

No mention of Thai people in that post, just a mention of 'people'. I also dislike noise, especialy when it is excessive and unnecessary but if you live in a country where it is the norm on some occasions one has to put up with it. In my village it is quiet 85% of the time so I accept the fact when it gets noisy, it makes for less mental conflict. My village has 3 westerners including myself, the other two always grumble when there is a festival, never heard a Thai moan about it even when they live next door to the source of noise. I say again, we have no right to complain how they live their lives in their own country. 

16 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It all boils down to how often this happens, new years eve is once a year, weddings and funerals with the accompanying noise isn't that often, the rest of the time in the villages it is very quiet. It annoys us westerners when it happens, the Thais not so much, where are we, in Thailand, what right do we have to complain how Thais behave in Thailand,this isn't a western colony.

You contradict yourself in your post 114 where you do complain .

This forum gives us falangs the opportunity to express our opinions and share our observations whilst living in Thailand . We are all aware of our rights , or the lack of , and to openly have a discussion is most welcome and enjoyed by many and is an important part of their daily ritual . If someone wants to complain lets hear it and I for one find the noise levels often excessive and without consideration for others . It is certainly not easy to go with the flow here when we are used to higher standards of health , safety & hygiene and probably impossible to impose your beliefs and knowledge on the Thai people and that can be taken as a broad statement on the habits and behavior of  most Thai people .    My original post was of an extreme case of noise pollution , however the regular noise levels created by music , unsilenced cars / motorbikes / trucks , plus loud speakers  is often excessive and will cause premature hearing problems , as proven in the western world . So the answer is to either put up with it                        (maybe earplugs )  or move  cos its not going to change any time soon .

25 minutes ago, superal said:

You contradict yourself in your post 114 where you do complain .

This forum gives us falangs the opportunity to express our opinions and share our observations whilst living in Thailand . We are all aware of our rights , or the lack of , and to openly have a discussion is most welcome and enjoyed by many and is an important part of their daily ritual . If someone wants to complain lets hear it and I for one find the noise levels often excessive and without consideration for others . It is certainly not easy to go with the flow here when we are used to higher standards of health , safety & hygiene and probably impossible to impose your beliefs and knowledge on the Thai people and that can be taken as a broad statement on the habits and behavior of  most Thai people .    My original post was of an extreme case of noise pollution , however the regular noise levels created by music , unsilenced cars / motorbikes / trucks , plus loud speakers  is often excessive and will cause premature hearing problems , as proven in the western world . So the answer is to either put up with it                        (maybe earplugs )  or move  cos its not going to change any time soon .

yes I complain to the authorities on rare occasions if one entity is blowing a gasket and causing unecessary noise levels but I ignore (as best I can) the noise if the community as a whole is banging the drum, it's not for me to interfere. No it wont change but that is part of the beauty of living here,it's different.

I know many Thai people that don't like the excessive noise.  Fine, as someone said, if it is a one off or a special festival thing... we just have to put up with it.

However, in my last village most of the Thai people hated the noise from the village temple (where the monk would get drunk and blast out ear splitting old Thai pop songs for hours on end starting as early at 4.30 in the morning)

They would try to ignore the problem.  Try no to talk about it or think about it, but they hated it for sure... but no one would complain against a monk.

They also did not like the powerful families big loud parties.  But these families are real thugs and bullies, so the villagers said nothing out of fear or repercussions.  Even when the dunk guys in the cars with base music were racing up and down the street at 2am and running over people dogs...  the people just hid in their houses and turned a blind eye.

It's always the same here.... Thai people are afraid to complain or say anything bad about anything.... the loss of face rubbish and the constant being put in the their lower place pecking order stuff. They would get no support from the corrupt police or other authorities, in fact the complainer might find themselves in more trouble than its worth.

And, yes, we do have a right to complain if something our neighbour is doing is wrong.  But that is not to say its a good idea to complain, and that the problem will sort itself out.  If, for example, I saw my neighbour abusing his children, or torturing animals, I would thing it right to complain about it!  What kind of weak farangs say to IGNORE everything going on around them as they are guests in this country and we have no right to complain or have an opinion?!!!