Issaan.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1.The space to let your kids run around freely on bicycles etc.

2. Wonderful change of seasons from luscious green in the rainy season to the cool winters with haystacks - summer is a bummer but it is everywhere in Thailand

3.the friendly people- not tourist jaded

4 Morlam and country music- great for dancing and relaxing too

5 Great food if you know what you are looking for, ie soup bak mee

1 hour ago, bannork said:

2. Wonderful change of seasons from luscious green in the rainy season to the cool winters with haystacks - summer is a bummer but it is everywhere in Thailand

Nice to read that at least 1 persons has found attractions by living in Issaan.

Merry Christmas !

Isaan in or near a larger city, or truly somewhere in the sticks?

After a stressful working-life, a Farang just wanting to "close the door behind him", aiming for nothing more than peace and quiet, the Isaan-sticks can be an ideal place. I know quite a few of them, they seem perfectly happy.

But without this inner conviction, the "sticks" may get to the Farang over time. The author of this post is one of them.
It can happen, that this initial "inner-conviction" is getting weaker and weaker. = "There must be more to life than this".

What are the sighns that the infamous Farang-Isaan-Blues has set in? Farang get's more frequent invitations to birthday parties of old dear friends in Pattaya or BKK. Or having to attend funerals of dear old friends in Pattaya or BKK. Attendence basically mandatory.

As Thai-Wife will come along (naturally), she will have to be sent on a 2 day shopping-spree in Patt or BKK. Otherwise the Farang will simply not be able to fully concentrate on the birthday party with dear old friends. Or attending a somber funeral of a dear old friend. As the case may be.

And the moral of the story? (translated from ancient chinese mandarin with the help of Mr. Google):

- "Stick can suck". Better rent before you get stuck in the stick. Can always stick for long time, when finish rent.
- When you not stick today, lady mad at you today.
- Better lady mad at you today, than you mad at lady later on.
                                                              Confucious.

Can't find any Emojis expressing mild sarcasm. Transam will rectify this shortly. For now, this will have to do:wink::clap2::goof:

Swissie started out with an explanation that fits me well. I was raised in a rural society, later working in the Metropolis, so Isaan is returning to my roots as it were. I have not quite closed the door on my western employment but looking forward to this shortly.

Yes our home, my exceptional wife, and lovely children are in Isaan.

I have farmed so know how to entertain my self around the farm, like any work one does not 'have' to do, the tasks are enjoyable. I happily work alongside and provide practical assistance to my wife.

The rest of the post by Swissie goes off the rails a bit in relation to me, my party days are over, I had some wonderful times but I've exhausted that option. Pattaya (or Phuket as was my party destination of choice) no longer appeal.

I need to be where I am happiest and that will be with my family. In Isaan.

Edited by 473geo

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I subscribed to this thread a couple of days ago to see if someone brings up some good reasons to live up-country.

Somehow I am not surprised that it seems few people find good reasons to live there - or they are not interested in TV or have no internet.

Ha ha ha.  I live 18k outside Udon and not in a developed area. TOT fiber internet, stable power, drinkable  well water, lightning bugs, butterflies, 20+ variety of birds, quiet and clean, 20 minutes to town or 7 to area Greek restaurant and large market.  True TV or better yet, netflix.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I subscribed to this thread a couple of days ago to see if someone brings up some good reasons to live up-country.

Somehow I am not surprised that it seems few people find good reasons to live there - or they are not interested in TV or have no internet.

They are busy enjoying life. 

Edited by Kadilo

1 hour ago, kokesaat said:

Ha ha ha.  I live 18k outside Udon and not in a developed area. TOT fiber internet, stable power, drinkable  well water, lightning bugs, butterflies, 20+ variety of birds, quiet and clean, 20 minutes to town or 7 to area Greek restaurant and large market.  True TV or better yet, netflix.

"20+ variety of birds" sounds interesting...

On 25/12/2017 at 10:44 PM, bannork said:

Too right good answer love it sissaket

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, the responses, or lack thereoff, must be telling i suppose. 

On 12/27/2017 at 11:51 PM, kokesaat said:

Same here!

Our place is s couple of Kilos outside the ring road of Khon Kaen. Nice quiet country living only 15 away from the heart of Khon Kaen and all that it has to offer.

Bangkok? been there , done that!

If I didn't have  to stop there for my connecting flight to Khon Kaen I would probably never see Bangkok again. 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Same here!

Our place is s couple of Kilos outside the ring road of Khon Kaen. Nice quiet country living only 15 away from the heart of Khon Kaen and all that it has to offer.

Bangkok? been there , done that!

If I didn't have  to stop there for my connecting flight to Khon Kaen I would probably never see Bangkok again. 

"Khon Kaen and all that it has to offer." Can you elaborate? For someone like me who lives since forever in Bangkok even a town up-country is still up-country. Do they have lots of restaurants, bars, movies, etc. in Khon Kaen?

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Khon Kaen and all that it has to offer." Can you elaborate? For someone like me who lives since forever in Bangkok even a town up-country is still up-country. Do they have lots of restaurants, bars, movies, etc. in Khon Kaen?

Come and Stay for a while , Scout around. Anything you can find in Bangkok you can find here.

I am not a big Bar person but I have seen plenty of farang bars by the Pullman hotel .

Restaurants? you could eat at a different place every night and not eat in the same place twise for a year. ( love Thai food but every so often I enjoya good burger) , we usually go to the sizzler at Central plaza Mall. Also great movie theater there.Also they are building a sky train (almost done) so you can park at the station and be at the center of town in 5 min.

image.jpeg.5422a16b4ccc2656aabc9cdcd797bf02.jpeg

World class Hospitals, Shop until you drop, Morning and numerous night markets, Zoo , water parks or a lazy day hanging  out by the dam eating som tom and a cold Leo watching the kids swim.

Not too long of a drive to Nong Khai for a visa run and a day trip to Laos. 

Thai air has very inexpensive flights from BBK  to KKC , jump on a flight, and  less than 1hr you are here. Plenty of inexpensive hotels to stay at.  anything from 5 star and below.

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Come and Stay for a while , Scout around. Anything you can find in Bangkok you can find here.

I am not a big Bar person but I have seen plenty of farang bars by the Pullman hotel .

Restaurants? you could eat at a different place every night and not eat in the same place twise for a year. ( love Thai food but every so often I enjoya good burger) , we usually go to the sizzler at Central plaza Mall. Also great movie theater there.Also they are building a sky train (almost done) so you can park at the station and be at the center of town in 5 min.

image.jpeg.5422a16b4ccc2656aabc9cdcd797bf02.jpeg

World class Hospitals, Shop until you drop, Morning and numerous night markets, Zoo , water parks or a lazy day hanging  out by the dam eating som tom and a cold Leo watching the kids swim.

Not too long of a drive to Nong Khai for a visa run and a day trip to Laos. 

Thai air has very inexpensive flights from BBK  to KKC , jump on a flight, and  less than 1hr you are here. Plenty of inexpensive hotels to stay at.  anything from 5 star and below.

sirineou- please stop. Issan is a terrible place with nothing to do but count the geckoes on the ceiling. The women are awful, just flat noses and loud voices, they only want your money and they even eat frogs. 

OP and fellow Bangkokians. Stay there, it's safe.  You're never alone with the constant crowds and you'll never die in a traffic accident because the congested roads make it hard to go faster than 40 kph. 

11 minutes ago, bannork said:

sirineou- please stop. Issan is a terrible place with nothing to do but count the geckoes on the ceiling. The women are awful, just flat noses and loud voices, they only want your money and they even eat frogs. 

OP and fellow Bangkokians. Stay there, it's safe.  You're never alone with the constant crowds and you'll never die in a traffic accident because the congested roads make it hard to go faster than 40 kph. 

Sorry, that's what happens what happens when I drink . I exaggerate.  The Truth of the matter is  that the Place is a Hell hole, I drink to forget, don't ask me  forget what, because I forgot.

As you drive in to the city there is a big welcome sign , it says 

" All who enter abandon all hope"  and I certainly have, but there is still hope for all of our sisters and brothers from Bangkok . Stay away !!!

Oh , and those cheap Thai air flights I mention earlier . Most of them crash in to the high Khonkaen mountains .

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Sorry, that's what happens what happens when I drink . I exaggerate.  The Truth of the matter is  that the Place is a Hell hole, I drink to forget, don't ask me  forget what, because I forgot.

As you drive in to the city there is a big welcome sign , it says 

" All who enter abandon all hope"  and I certainly have, but there is still hope for all of our sisters and brothers from Bangkok . Stay away !!!

Oh , and those cheap Thai air flights I mention earlier . Most of them crash in to the high Khonkaen mountains .

It's a sobering picture you present sirineou, even though neither you nor myself are sober at the moment.

But that is not unusual, fellow farangs in Bangkok, for it is indeed very hard to find a sober or sensible farang in Issan.

Most have been driven stir crazy by the tedium of fresh air, quiet roads and shopkeepers being friendly for no particular reason. 

Ah the Issaan Lao Kao takes no prisoners - Lager,Beer and women in Bangkok and Pattaya is the way to go, be safe guys. In Issaan there is Pla Ra just waiting to surprise you, it can happen anytime anywhere, an unforgettable experience!!. 

Lived in kalasin and now Khon kaen and the differentials are spectacular.

I believe even Prayut just last week on TV noted Kalasin as a city forgotten and left very far behind in pretty much every way. Having lived there just over 1.5 years I had been saying the same thing so it's great others noticed that.

KK is a great city and much nicer than bkk where I also lived before.

Some good points so far....

For me...1/2 acre garden, landscaped gardens (done myself), beautiful self build house I could never afford in any city, growing veggies and fruit in my garden and giving to the village, my wonderful extended family, a nice village, peace, tranquillity, big city 30 minutes drive for shopping once a week, not interacting with <deleted> tourists and/or similar expats... etc etc.

After 35 years graft as forces and expat I love my life in Isaan and would never swap it for the world.

FYI..I live in the Khon Kaen region.

24 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

having nothing to do so that you have more time to spend on TVF

...guys who have nothing to do have never developed an interest in anything outside TV... football  and drinking beer..  the people that I know here that are happy here all have interests that they follow... whether building a house and garden and DIY projects.. photography.. reading... writing.. an interest in the local culture & history.. the language etc..  without an interest or hobby.. life would be boring.. best they stay in Pattaya and sit in bars and hear sad stories.. and watch the football..  

17 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

...guys who have nothing to do have never developed an interest in anything outside TV... football  and drinking beer..  the people that I know here that are happy here all have interests that they follow... whether building a house and garden and DIY projects.. photography.. reading... writing.. an interest in the local culture & history.. the language etc..  without an interest or hobby.. life would be boring.. best they stay in Pattaya and sit in bars and hear sad stories.. and watch the football..  

Whilst keeping all the upbeat Isaan husbands entertained on TVisa, with their perpetual stream of warnings concerning the plethora of dangers they envisage will be present in a relationship with an Isaan lady :smile: