Issaan.

Don't know what to make of the replies, except hate it or love it. 

Been coming and going for the last five years and still happy to be here. Each year extending the stay so maybe be here full time in another five. About 5 minutes drive out of Ban Phai. 

I spent over a decade in Australia living in a tin shed out the back of nowhere. So being in an Issan village seems like a reasonable size town to me. Being the first farang the village has had does make for interesting dynamics but a few things I would agree with from other posters is the joy in lack of tourists and friendly locals, who seem to be that way for no other reason than to be friendly. I also have a condo up in Chiang Mai if I need to escape but Khon Kaen  is only 50 kilometers away and that seems to do the trick. 

In conclusion I think it is the solitude that attracts me. 

Opjnions are neither right or wrong and that's mine. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/28/2017 at 11:51 AM, kokesaat said:

Ha ha ha.  I live 18k outside Udon and not in a developed area. TOT fiber internet, stable power, drinkable  well water, lightning bugs, butterflies, 20+ variety of birds, quiet and clean, 20 minutes to town or 7 to area Greek restaurant and large market.  True TV or better yet, netflix.

Shhhhhh! People will want to move upcountry if you give away our secrets.

Interesting comments

It seems lots of guys live up-county with their wife - which is obviously not surprising.

Do you think it's important to live together with a Thai partner? Would you stay there even without your wife/gf?

Do you prefer to be near a town (how near) or live even inside a town like Khon Kaen?

Do you think your Isaan area is somehow special? Or would you like to live anywhere in Isaan?

These are not a suggestive questions. I am really interested in the answers.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:51 PM, kokesaat said:

Ha ha ha.  I live 18k outside Udon and not in a developed area. TOT fiber internet, stable power, drinkable  well water, lightning bugs, butterflies, 20+ variety of birds, quiet and clean, 20 minutes to town or 7 to area Greek restaurant and large market.  True TV or better yet, netflix.

Mosquitoes, 20 variety of snakes, brush fires, clogged septic tanks. Just kidding. I love a month or two in countryside each visit. Just not ready to cash it in completely.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting comments

It seems lots of guys live up-county with their wife - which is obviously not surprising.

Do you think it's important to live together with a Thai partner? Would you stay there even without your wife/gf?

Do you prefer to be near a town (how near) or live even inside a town like Khon Kaen?

Do you think your Isaan area is somehow special? Or would you like to live anywhere in Isaan?

I think living with a Thai partner is very beneficial, it is possible to be incorporated into the larger family, and, given the family may stretch back many years in the village and spread to surrounding villages, by being a relative to many, it is possible to become a participant of a much larger social circle. 

I have lived in cities when they fed my needs, thoroughly enjoyed that period of my life, now I am for a more reserved lifestyle, and, while enjoying a day out in the nearby city, would have no wish to live there, I prefer the peaceful rural life.

I would live anywhere my family chose to live, but I do enjoy the community where we have our home, when you get known always a ready smile to greet you around the village. 

If you're on a modest budget, want a bit of a hobby farm, and room to expand, then Isan is good.

The people are genuinely friendly, given the lack of tourists, which means you often get the rock star treatment. Sometimes it seems like every second woman you meet wants a farang husband, boyfriend or gik....

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Khon Kaen and all that it has to offer." Can you elaborate? For someone like me who lives since forever in Bangkok even a town up-country is still up-country. Do they have lots of restaurants, bars, movies, etc. in Khon Kaen?

The pleasures of living in the countryside cannot be compared head on to the pleasures of city living... I love movies, but get them on my computer and as many can transfer it to a large screen tv in a comfortable home environment... not the theatre experience but quite easily indulged... but I would not ask if they have lots of nice waterfalls to swim under and cool off in on a hot summer day in Bkk - - or if there is a neat bamboo forest to wander and relax in... the clean air, ripe w/vegetation, the lack of traffic jams, the very friendly, engaging people with plenty of time to chat and say hello... the coffee shops in Bkk are not going to have the lush greenery ambiance of sitting on my back patio in the morning enjoying my coffee.. next to papaya, mango, banana trees... 

I did live in Bkk for a few years and did enjoy it, but there is precious little green space and that has become very important to me... but each place has its plusses and minuses... your life centers on different activities, I imagine you don't often sit in your long driveway and enjoy a bar bq meal with twenty family members, just as a matter of course. 

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting comments

I am also with my wife in her small village, though not in Isaan, we are northern/central... I would not stay in her village but could live in our local city, though I would probably move to an area outside of CM... I would say that the Thai wife for me would not be the greater part of the equation... two things that you have not mentioned are important for me... a good internet connection is a must and surely I have one here in the village - - speaking Thai is also an open door to having many friends and amusing encounters every day... Thai country people are wonderful. 

I've lived in village & small town Isaan for 6 years or so, the people are great, youre not instantly hustled in the way that you are down south you are, if you live with wife & family, probably part of a large Thai extended family that spreads over an area of villages & will probably have an enclave somewhere in Bangkok... Of course, it helps if you're lucky with your family...  The only thing that I miss up here is the sea...  I do have to go & spend a week or 2 on an island every few months....

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting comments

Having lived in kalasin and now Khon kaen I think if you are in my boat and not retired and with a young family; kalasin is an absolutely senseless place to raise a family and is miles behind khon kaen in respect of the primary needs of children; health and education. The cost of land/houses there is also a joke compared to khon kaen where the pricing is a lot more realistic and better value when considering matters like health and education. Driving is also much more logical in KK and I'm yet to see drivers turning into the nearest lane (wrong lane) on turns. Stuff like that happens all day long in kalasin and I do mean all day long.  As a retirement destination I can understand its appeal.

5 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Driving is also much more logical in KK

Blood hell... traffic in KK is insane!  ...and getting worse by the day..  There are definitely a lot of bad drivers on the road here in Kalasin.. but the traffic is slow.. and if you avoid the morning and evening rush it is pretty easy to get around..  maybe not ideal for someone with a young family but as a retired person suits me just fine.. KK is only an hour and a bit away... I visit for KK RAM when I need to see a DR.. but there is a new hospital opening sometime in the near future in Kalasin.. not much I need that isn't available here now.. I bought my place quite a few years ago so not too familiar with current prices.. but for 2 or 2.5 million you can get quite a nice bungalow.. I don't know how that compares with KK.. 

Just now, Laza 45 said:

Blood hell... traffic in KK is insane!  ...and getting worse by the day..  There are definitely a lot of bad drivers on the road here in Kalasin.. but the traffic is slow.. and if you avoid the morning and evening rush it is pretty easy to get around..  maybe not ideal for someone with a young family but as a retired person suits me just fine.. KK is only an hour and a bit away... I visit for KK RAM when I need to see a DR.. but there is a new hospital opening sometime in the near future in Kalasin.. not much I need that isn't available here now.. I bought my place quite a few years ago so not too familiar with current prices.. but for 2 or 2.5 million you can get quite a nice bungalow.. I don't know how that compares with KK.. 

I am aware there is a new hospital being built but the same people will be inside that hospital when it is complete and I doubt there capabity to keep it as a hospital should be; clean. Next time you go in take a look at the signage. The one which prohibits cameras and use of phone as a video recorder provides the evidence of what they fear the most. 

2M can get a decent bungalow in a security monitored place here. I can only think of 2 such places in 46000 that even had security controlled residences I'm sure there are more I stopped looking after 8 months of daily fact finding. We have a real interesting journal of houses for sale from anot 11 months ago. I bet all are still unsold.

Traffic here is bad as it's a decent sized city but road users are much more vigilant and aware than kalasin. 

As I said, for retirement purposes and without having to worry about best value and the future of others, understandible kalasin may suit. It was also noted by Prayut last Friday in a fairly damming example of a city/provence left behind.

Horses for courses, I live also in Isaan on the outskirts of Udon, live quiet country life on edge of small town. Teach English at local temple to monks good for me and hopefully them..have great lady who shares teaching at temple which has given us great acceptance in the village.  We live simply and enjoy the three different seasons, she is much better with hot season than me.  Very affordable to live here !  I can understand other farangs that still miss " the good life " restaurants, movies ect...but we happy in the north...

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

I think living with a Thai partner is very beneficial, it is possible to be incorporated into the larger family, and, given the family may stretch back many years in the village and spread to surrounding villages, by being a relative to many, it is possible to become a participant of a much larger social circle. 

I have lived in cities when they fed my needs, thoroughly enjoyed that period of my life, now I am for a more reserved lifestyle, and, while enjoying a day out in the nearby city, would have no wish to live there, I prefer the peaceful rural life.

I would live anywhere my family chose to live, but I do enjoy the community where we have our home, when you get known always a ready smile to greet you around the village. 

Having a Thai wife is certainly a plus .It afford me the opportunity to experience the place as a local would. There are places I would never even know existed with out my wife, When I arrive some place with my wife , people know her as a person to be trusted and by extension  they consider me a trustworthy person also. I am not sure I would have the same if I was by myself.

25 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Traffic is getting more of a problem as KK grows,especially during the holidays when it seems half of Bangkok is visiting.  Hopefully the sky train will alleviate some of that.

If we stay out late at night, There is a nice litle hotel (BB Hotel) across Khon Kaen Lake , it is clean, quiet and reasonable.  If we are out late or want a weekend in Town we stay there. We enjoy a walk in the lake park in the Morning.

Khon Kaen

https://www.thailandee.com/en/visit-thailand/khon-kaen-s-lake-bueng-khan-nakhon-lake-khon-kaen-258#map

I am also a happy and content KK farang. We live in a small village where everyone is friendly and easy going. I have travelled and lived all over the world, including 8 years in Bangkok. I would say if you have seen and done alot of things and feel you have done all the adventurous things then settling into Issan country life could be very satisfying. You can always take a holiday if you feel you need a break or some excitement. tbh with decent internet in the villages now i never feel cut off from the world. i mean i can pretty much google anything i need to know, watch netflix or youtube, etc. Can even order stuff online and it comes in a couple of days (lazada or bank transfer). The benefits of country life with modern features?

The feeling I had was that for many expats in Issan (most?), the ultimate reason they live there is that is Issan is where their wife comes from (and they probably met her when she was working somewhere else).  One can provide as many reasons as they like about the reasons they living in Issan, but I'd say that in many cases, the initial reason they chose to live in Issan is that it is where their wife comes from and she wants to be close to family.  Many foreigners in Issan then grow to like the place as this thread shows......but I'd guess that for many, the reasons they like Issan may not be why they moved to Issan in the first place.

Edited by mstevens

The feeling I had was that for many expats in Issan (most?), the ultimate reason they live there is that is Issan is where their wife comes from (and they probably met her when she was working somewhere else).  One can provide as many reasons as they like about the reasons they living in Issan, but I'd say that in many cases, the initial reason they chose to live in Issan is that it is where their wife comes from and she wants to be close to family.  Many foreigners in Issan then grow to like the place as this thread shows......but I'd guess that for many, the reasons they like Issan may not be why they moved to Issan in the first place.

How many expats living in Issan do you actually know. You say the "feeling" you had. Based on what?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

Yh we chose to live in the Mrs families provInce but after 18 months we realised it was an awful place so we moved. 

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

That is my story... my wife has sisters here that she wanted to be close to.  I can't say I would have chosen this place to live if I had just been passing through.  But.. it has grown on me and I have a good life here now.

Never get the feeling of being an ATM we have a joint bank account and my wife handles transactions :smile: I've said it before, she is better with money than I am :smile: We always discuss any potential major outgoings, just the other day we were offered some soil to raise some land for a project, my wife consulted with me, and had informed the seller that if I agreed, she would let him know, so we talk all the time. Mostly about plans for the future, immediate, and further ahead, you know as married couples do? 

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Never get the feeling of being an ATM we have a joint bank account and my wife handles transactions :smile: I've said it before, she is better with money than I am :smile: We always discuss any potential major outgoings, just the other day we were offered some soil to raise some land for a project, my wife consulted with me, and had informed the seller that if I agreed, she would let him know, so we talk all the time. Mostly about plans for the future, immediate, and further ahead, you know as married couples do? 

Dont spoil the myth. They are all out to get you and rob you blind. Especially the "family" with their sick buffalos and relatives. 

Dont forget all the locals who despise and ignore you and will drive you out. 

Just now, Kadilo said:

Dont spoil the myth. They are all out to get you and rob you blind. Especially the "family" with their sick buffalos and relatives. 

Dont forget all the locals who despise and ignore you and will drive you out. 

Although I think if we'd took the offer to move in the village and build a house etc that is exactly what would have happened. The burning of stuff day amd night would have drove me out. 

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Although I think if we'd took the offer to move in the village and build a house etc that is exactly what would have happened. The burning of stuff day amd night would have drove me out. 

Burning stuff? How do you mean? 

Just now, Kadilo said:

Burning stuff? How do you mean? 

Mate the village my Mrs is from has gotta be among the crappiest places I have ever been to.

Litrually 10 metres from there house an old hag starts burning stuff in a field.

Their farm is 450 metres from the house the opposing farms either side are enemies of her family and steal/kill chickens etc the brothers a lazy sod their cousin who lives next door with Mrs aunt is the same but stupider after 2 nights on yaba 10 years ago he's been crazy ever since. Her auntil knows one word in English; lottery ( hard working woman though) and of the population of her village (1500) 10% are her relatives and yet they all seem to dislike each other. Can't even trust her mom to buy food have to ship it to her, have to video call her too and make her show us the weight scales so we can be sure she is eating the food. The mom has to lock the upstairs whilst she's in the house! All that is the tip of the iceberg just off my head. Good job my Mrs is worth it but distance has certainly played a part there is no doubt about that where the family and village people are concerned.

I'm ten km from Sisaket and an hour from my door I can be through security at Ubon Airport.  Sisaket has good grocery shopping, a premier league professional soccer team and two hospitals.  The cost of living is extremely low, there are good resteraunts and a nice variety of foods from sushi to German. 

As I said I can be in BKK in two hours and for $35. Isaan has a surprising number of new hotels and 500 to 1000 baht is usually suffice.  Morlum is great and Twanadang nightclub (through out  Isaan) is not to be missed.The epicentre of the rocket festivals is within 10 km and only 1% of tourists to Thailand ever venture into Isaan.  

The people are friendly, there is no dual price except at National Parks and the food is amazing.   If my wife wasn t from Sisaket  there wouldn t be a hope in hell of me going there, let alone live there.  I wouldn t change it for a penthouse on Pratumnak or Sukhumvit  thank you very much