Waiter's bad habits

yengec

In pattaya also in other cities of Thailand I have been in several restaurants. Doesnt matter its a luxury, average,cheap, hotel restaurant etc.. in every type of them this has happened. Usually I go with my friend or Gf whoelse, they oftenly brings only 1 piece of menu. Even we sit in opposite directions, how can I check the menu with my friend? In addition to this she come to wait 30seconds later to get the order(she thinks I know their menu and 2 people can decide what to eat over 1 menu lol) Also I see there are more menus in stock and the restaurant is not full of customers. If this happened in western countries, its a very good reason to leave the restaurant and complain about that staff. Usually I dont care and I dont waste my life to change the wrong things in third world countries but I still cant get used to it. What I do is, usually I go and take the second menu by myself(tried to ask waiter but english level and communicaton problem brings more hassle). Im curious is this only annoys me or there are many others :)

it's a conspiracy, they're doing it to annoy you... 'look here comes that farang, the one we only give one menu to' ;)

can honestly say this has ever happened to me, but then i've never been to pattaya.

if this is annoying you so much sounds like you've been here too long.

The wife and I have never had this happen in Bangkok - always get two or more menus.  Perhaps Pattaya is different these days; but in past we each got menu there also.  The only time I can remember not getting were upcountry roadside shops and menu only in Thai without photos and thinking was wife would order for me.  For anyplace with bilingual or photo menus have each been provided.

I am really not sure if they do it on purpose bcz Im a farang or not. I cant blame them bcz we know they might not care these things and its easy going for them. Even it is done purposely or not, I never ask for second menu. Before, I tried and waited another few minutes for the menu, she understood Im ready to give order instead of menus and some funny misunderstandings.  Instead of deal with them for the second menu, I decided its much better for me to get the second menu by myself. 

3 minutes ago, yengec said:

Instead of deal with them for the second menu, I decided its much better for me to get the second menu by myself. 

I do hope that you stamped your feet, and made sure that the manager saw you taking the second menu, just to show them your annoyance 

A new comer ?,over time ,if you stay,you will find many other

things to irk you,small things,which if you have the wrong attitude

will upset you,just go with the flow,mind i have never this happen

to me,and if it did i would not care,just let the wife make her  choice

then look at the menu myself.

regards worgeordie

I have not experienced this problem but I suspect that it arises from poor staff training. 

I regularly encounter the problem of staff expecting an immediate order, without giving you the chance to look at the menu, but generally they can be made to shove off through the use of gestures or your facial expression.

I get annoyed by the use of those bloody tissues that crumple into nothing the moment you touch them and that a careful note is taken of how we would like our steaks  but when they arrive they are all cooked exactly the same.

There is no point in complaining unless it; likely to bring about change. I went in one bar where they had a cat sleeping alongside the food inside the display cabinet. What would have the point of complaining here. If it makes you angry then remember that you are in Thailand not Switzerland.

11 hours ago, yengec said:

Usually I dont care and I dont waste my life to change the wrong things in third world countries

Maybe the problem is with your attitude ? We eat in all kinds of restaurants regularly and always get 2 menus. Waiter standing at the table to get the order is sometimes bothersome, but i courteously request them to allow us some time, instead of taking on an attitude of first world and third world.

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

Surely it isnt beyond you capabilities to ask for two menus in Thai lingo ?

Isnt the word "menu" the same in Thai and English ?

*Song menu karb* should do the trick

Be careful with that dodgy pronunciation, you may end up with a plate of carp!

3 hours ago, Forkinhades said:

The answer to the OP, is probably that they waiter/ess cannot speak English, so by giving 1 menu, they only have to deal with the person that speaks Thai.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

that makes sense. if thats the reason for one menu, now it sounds reasonable:)

this is of course not a huge problem or adopt issue to pattaya but its weird for me. i see this happened others too..

6 hours ago, saakura said:

Maybe the problem is with your attitude ? We eat in all kinds of restaurants regularly and always get 2 menus. Waiter standing at the table to get the order is sometimes bothersome, but i courteously request them to allow us some time, instead of taking on an attitude of first world and third world.

yeahh it must be my fault. when i enter the restaurant i yell to everyone and disturb the others. thats why they punish me by one menu lol

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP you go to a restaurant and they only bring 1 menu.... Ohh poor you.

At least you can go out for a meal.

So wipe away your tears and learn song menu krap.

Menu, song lem, krap.

This happens to me and. It is rude, and annoying, especially if the Thai gets it, or my kids!

9 hours ago, Cyclone88 said:

Happens to me often too. Then they stand there with pen and pad in hand. I just smile at them as they ask what I want.

They soon get the idea to bring a 2nd menu.

Much easier to ask them for a second one and not play guessing games.

It is rude and ignorant.

What you allow, you condone.

I used to never really care when walking into a restaurant and not getting handed a menu, not being waied, when my wife and kids did, and the change being handed to my wife after I paid. I understand people wanting to talk to my wife instead of a foreigner, as they wrongly assume I'm illiterate.

These days, maybe cause I'm older and grumpier and tell them straight that they are being disrespectful and rude.

At McDonald's, my youngest kid was talked to, as if I wasn't there. I ordered, the idiot staff asked the 10 year old if I wanted upsize. I replied I did. Then she again asked my daughter if we were eating there. I asked the manager why she was ignoring me and said it was extremely rude. She said, "she doesn't speak farang". I said I wasn't speaking farang.

It happens all the time, and sometimes I joke about it. Once they realize I speak Thai fluently, usually things are ok.

I have countless stories, like a car park attendant telling my kid to tell me I needed a new car. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Menu, song lem, krap.

This happens to me and. It is rude, and annoying, especially if the Thai gets it, or my kids!

You totally missed my point, ohh well never mind.

So its rude, many things farangs do Thais find rude.

12 hours ago, balo said:

Even at the cheap Kiss restaurant they will give a menu to everyone around the table. Unless I eat street food I have never experienced this.

i came here to bitch about kiss: the waitresses look in any other direction than mine,

its not possible to get the bill