Education policy given a failing grade

webfact

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

they will push hard to ensure they don't have to adapt to new ideas in any way. 

- 'Open discussion about the purpose of Education'.

One farang businessman (son studying at the same uni) stood up and said he believed the purpose of education is to give students the knowledge and deep understanding of what civil society means and how to build and maintain a worthwhile civil society where everybody contributes.

New ideas?

Are you suggesting that ideas, even old ones, are part of the actual system?

This farang was obviously some kind of Marxist!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The plan is working then! The mushroom system, keep them in the dark and feed them BS!

a lot of words were used by the academic to say the top administrators are dump as a box of of rocks . it is a trickle down effect , down to the teachers and then students . if your leaders are dim how would anyone expect the students to be educated ? dimness breeds dimness . 

Edited by mikiea

1 hour ago, Essaybloke said:

After coming to power more than three years ago, the military-installed government has already named three education ministers.

Wow, that's an exemplary use of euphemism so no need for improvements there.

But seriously folks....writing from my own family experience at a Thai high school, maybe demanding teachers STOP physically assaulting students may be a nice place to start.

You must be as encouraged as I facetiously claim to be that the junta has so many suitably-experienced and appropriately qualified staff amongst its ranks to have been able to keep the role energised by this 3-man rotation system, with each incoming post-holder trying to out-do/under-do his predecessor. It's like stock rotation but with a human element . . . well done, Thailand.

Re the gloomier matter of the recent reports of staff violence, as much as that can never be accepted or condoned, my suspicion of REAL guilt lies with parents, who, in common with their western counterparts, are losing their parental disciplinary grip of their kids, as the nightly addiction to TV soaps and reality games threatens to slowly engulf the entire community. The result, of course, is an ever-increasing proportion of unmanageable kids to whom the stick, cat-o-nine-tails or the gun must be the tempting solution. Just bloody horrible, rude and non-disciplined kids. What can you do apart from exclude them, which has its own bag of problems?

If I take an early evening stroll through my village, I see families sat in front of the giant screen, eating and shouting, but I NEVER see a family enjoying a walk together before eating and relaxing and, maybe, tackling the homework. I see very little evidence of kids doing that, these days.

16 minutes ago, Ossy said:

If I take an early evening stroll through my village, I see families sat in front of the giant screen, eating and shouting, but I NEVER see a family enjoying a walk together before eating and relaxing and, maybe, tackling the homework. I see very little evidence of kids doing that, these days.

Is your village in the US?

The truth is those in power, red yellow or khaki do not want to change the system. Its not the children of the great unwashed who will be earmarked for any serious jobs. Thousands of students graduating university then finding no graduate jobs and  the certificate they worked so hard for has no standing amongst most of its neighbours or the western world. The government should be meeting the aspirations of the people they govern not telling them to live within their means.

The culture that they proudly cling to, is not the problem but it is the thing used to beat them into submission. For culture read....this is the way we have always done it and the way we will always do it. Their cultural upholds an heirarchical system which forbids people perceived as a lower social status to question the actions of those above. Corruption of directors is allowed by governments as long as they ensure that the school spews its mantra on a regular basis to such a degree that people become submissive. Rather than question they just comply...rinse and repeat for the next decade. 

Because protecting and maintaining the hierarchy is the only priority, especially under a military government, students are expected to become spitting images of their corrupt, inept, unworldly teachers who do little thinking but have the 'right' attitudes about authority and conformity.  The students can never be seen or encouraged to exceed their instructors by any measure, because it inverts the inviolate hierarchy. Thus, no progress is possible from one generation to the next. That's all there is to it.

Edited by debate101

I really wonder what they do learn at the schools or universities or from parents.

Everything is below standard, and compared to Singapore or Japan it's all far far behind. The problem is they get away with everything in Thailand, nobody dares to complaint.

My neighbour just bought a new kitchen, 1.250.000 baht and nothing works properly or not at all. Everything that i buy "made in Thailand" has issues or is broken in a week. 

Everyday i almost get killed while driving my motobike in BKK, they seriously can't drive at all but for sure they can avoid soidogs sleeping on the road.

It's time for a big makeover in the educationsystem, just ask the Japanese for help. They do everything perfect.

11 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Singapore has to thank the British and Lee Kuan Yew’s visionary ideas and singular drive. None evident in Thailand. 

It's not only that Singaporeans are much better educated, they also have much better manners. If a Singaporean stands in your way they even apologize while a Thai can't be bothered at all, i bet they even don't understand that they are blocking the walkway which is annoying bypassers.

Also i have never ever seen a Singaporean digging his nose in public.

I'm always happy to go to Singapore and see the smart educated part of Asia.

18 hours ago, Ossy said:

You must be as encouraged as I facetiously claim to be that the junta has so many suitably-experienced and appropriately qualified staff amongst its ranks to have been able to keep the role energised by this 3-man rotation system, with each incoming post-holder trying to out-do/under-do his predecessor. It's like stock rotation but with a human element . . . well done, Thailand.

Re the gloomier matter of the recent reports of staff violence, as much as that can never be accepted or condoned, my suspicion of REAL guilt lies with parents, who, in common with their western counterparts, are losing their parental disciplinary grip of their kids, as the nightly addiction to TV soaps and reality games threatens to slowly engulf the entire community. The result, of course, is an ever-increasing proportion of unmanageable kids to whom the stick, cat-o-nine-tails or the gun must be the tempting solution. Just bloody horrible, rude and non-disciplined kids. What can you do apart from exclude them, which has its own bag of problems?

My daughter committed the unforgivable sin of failing to bring her homework book to class. She left it in her bag in another building on the campus. I guess you're right, she may just another one of the ever-increasing proportion of unmanageable kids to whom the stick, cat-o-nine-tails or the gun must be the tempting solution. Just bloody horrible, rude and non-disciplined kids.

Perhaps I should get stuck into her with the cricket bat, huh?

On 25/12/2017 at 5:57 AM, PatOngo said:

The plan is working then! The mushroom system, keep them in the dark and feed them BS!

No change from any elected government then.

On 25/12/2017 at 8:39 AM, grumbleweed said:

So we've had an admiral and a general in charge of education.  Just a thought but what about appointing people who have some experience in the field of education?

Just like the previous elected governments did?

Not an education expert, but i have yet to meet a Thai who knew practically any world geography. Outside of USA and Thailand's immediate neighbours, very few could name 10 countries, and they were usually the home countries of relatives or friends farang partners, and as for WHERE in the world these countries were, not a hope. Ask where any country IS, and a perplexed look of incomprehension would take over.

Science not much better. 

On 12/25/2017 at 4:58 PM, mikiea said:

a lot of words were used by the academic to say the top administrators are dump as a box of of rocks . it is a trickle down effect , down to the teachers and then students . if your leaders are dim how would anyone expect the students to be educated ? dimness breeds dimness . 

...are they not just Acting Directors.....