Best music is from last century?

thaibeachlovers

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, transam said:

To be honest I can't think of any singer or band where l can say l like all their stuff, perhaps Roy Orbison may be the exception..He has loads of stuff that folk have probably never heard, though l have heard the lot..:stoner:

Yeah, the Big O, the Man. Amazing voice.

I always thought he was blind because he wore those dark glasses and never moved, but he could sing.

When I first saw A Black and White Night, I wondered who the upstart guy was that kept playing with him. It was only later I realised he was Bruce Springsteen :smile:.

Even Orbison played some stuff I didn't like though.

I come from the opposite direction, I can't think of any band that I don't like at least one song. Alice Cooper had "Only women bleed", Guns n Roses had "November Rain", Led Zeppelin had "Stairway to Heaven", and even the Spice Girls had one that I liked.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, glasswort said:

Dire Straits the best band ever to walk on stage or into a recording studio.

Best equal with several bands, IMO.

Fleetwood Mac for starters.

However, the Alchemy concert can't be beat, and Romeo and Juliette has to be one of my all time favourite songs, but tied with Rhiannon played live in 1976.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, oldhippy said:

Judging by the reactions, Europe / US have the monopoly of "good music ever"????

Given that I grew up only knowing European/ US music and not Tibetan gong music, yes, the thread is about European/ US music.

Feel free to start a thread about Vietnamese flute music or such if you prefer.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:16 PM, alanrchase said:

I am getting old so I will go for this one.

The first album I ever bought in High School, right after it came out. Still have it.  Actually like some aspects of Wish You Were Here a bit more.  Saw them in LA for the Wall concert in '80 at the Sports Arena.  Took my brother in his beat up MG that stalled on the way out and some really good herb.  We still reminisce about that night when I see him.

2 hours ago, NonthaburiBear said:

i haven't see any post about this band..  M for Morrisey , Marr and Manchester

Given the traffic I've read here, I'm afraid the Smiths are too "recent" for most people posting. Morrissey and Marr were indeed one of the greatest songwriting/performing partnerships in rock. I actually didn't get around to appreciating them until I was in my fifties, some twenty years after their heyday.

Given the traffic I've read here, I'm afraid the Smiths are too "recent" for most people posting. Morrissey and Marr were indeed one of the greatest songwriting/performing partnerships in rock. I actually didn't get around to appreciating them until I was in my fifties, some twenty years after their heyday.

Morrissey is still putting out some good stuff !

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Music being a very personal thing, to the individual one musician is a music hero while another is even despised.

I always loved Dylan ( along with untold millions ) and still play him, while I hated listening to Hendrix. I think it is because Dylan speaks to me on a personal level with his songs.

Unfortunately, Hendrix was so popular that it was hard not to hear him being played on the radio at that time. 

I didn't like either one of them in the 60s, because I hated the way that they sang. However, Hendrix grew on me over time. His voice works with his music, but it took a while to realize it. Other than one or two songs, I only like covers of Dylan by better singers.

Edited by Ulysses G.

12 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

Given the traffic I've read here, I'm afraid the Smiths are too "recent" for most people posting. Morrissey and Marr were indeed one of the greatest songwriting/performing partnerships in rock.

I really liked them in the beginning, but, to me, the songwriting went down hill after Marr left. I didn't like them much after that.

The topic title is Best Music from the last century not music you liked from the last century with pickings from all over the place. I would go with these 5 as Best (and most influential) POP music from the last century in no order:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Beach Boys

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan 

14 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

The topic title is Best Music from the last century not music you liked from the last century with pickings from all over the place. I would go with these 5 as Best (and most influential) POP music from the last century in no order:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Beach Boys

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan 

I agree with the first two and Dylan (even though I am not a fan) is probably number 3, but after that, IMHO, there are a lot of other possibilities. I would probably put Led Zeppelin next on the list.

Hendrix expanded the vocabulary of the electric guitar in such quantum leaps to the point that there wouldn't have been a Jimmy Page if it were not for Jimi.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys wrote complex melodies, chords changes, and harmonies that greatly influenced both The Beatles and The Stones.

Dylan was the great POP lyricist who recently won the Nobel Literature prize for his lyrics as poetry.

Edited by JLCrab

49 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Beach Boys

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan 

i'm agree with #1 & #2  but for me the top 5 are :

The Beatles

Rolling Stones ( with Brian Jones ) ...if without BJ  number 2 / The Who

Led Zeppelin

The Clash

The Small Faces

Edited by NonthaburiBear

6 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I really liked them in the beginning, but, to me, the songwriting went down hill after Marr left. I didn't like them much after that.

From what I understand, it was Johnny Marr who left the band on his own volition -- he'd gotten bored with the Smiths. Morrissey wanted him to stay. Although I'm sure the situation was a lot more complicated than that.

5 hours ago, JLCrab said:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Beach Boys

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan 

If you mean most influential from the 1960s, there's no way to leave off the Velvet Underground, who have been the basis for decades of great music that came later.

7 hours ago, JLCrab said:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Beach Boys

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan 

Never heard of Van Morrison?

8 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I agree with the first two and Dylan (even though I am not a fan) is probably number 3, but after that, IMHO, there are a lot of other possibilities. I would probably put Led Zeppelin next on the list.

To qualify, a musician/ group would have had to be not only extremely popular, but actually change music that the masses listen to, not just a load of druggies for a few years. Elvis did that, Dylan did that, the Beatles did that ( remember how guitar bands were finished? LOL ), probably the Beach Boys did that. Rolling Stones, Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac were huge and still popular. For the purposes of THIS thread, Led Zeppelin doesn't even register.

It would be easy to consider every group that we individually liked as "the best", but the proof is in longevity, not just past popularity.

Even my mum liked the Beatles.

I only started the thread to point out that musicians that started this century are mainly just commercial products and will change nothing, and be forgotten in 50 years.

8 hours ago, NonthaburiBear said:

i'm agree with #1 & #2  but for me the top 5 are :

The Beatles

Rolling Stones ( with Brian Jones ) ...if without BJ  number 2 / The Who

Led Zeppelin

The Clash

The Small Faces

IMO you are confusing popular with world changing awesomness.

The Clash? Really? I don't know a single thing they made.

The small Faces- only notable as the group Rod Stewart was in.

He was my favourite artist and You Wear it Well was probably my most played track in the 80s till I discovered, Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons and Pink Floyd in 1998, but I'd never consider him to be world changing. However, it was a sad day for me when he sold out with the "Do ya think I'm sexy" and "Hot Legs" garbage.

9 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

My guess would be because you are not a musician.

LOL. I used to play the trumpet in the army cadets band, so I'm a musician.

It's just that when I grew up I just never thought Velvet Underground worth my time.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Velvet Underground / Lou Reed certainly influenced other musicians so maybe you are not a musician.

Ah, you modified it while I was posting to your original.

I heard Lou Reed once, so maybe I do know one song they made ( walk on the wild side ) I just wasn't interested enough to know the band playing with him, and it made me depressed, so I never bothered again. I quite like to use the title as a quote on TVF though, so not entirely wasted.