Upset people

KhunMhee

5 minutes ago, Gruff said:

In direct response to the OP negativity and being bitter do not necessarily go hand in hand. The fact you have this view is in my opnion a negativity you have.

From my perspective i feel negative about Thailand because  it is a country i loved spending time in that i feel is in a state of decline.  My negativity is about disappointment not bitterness !

I am lucky and i am not tied to Thailand but  do feel for  those who are tied to the country and like me see a decline in their surroundings. I can understand their anguish which is probably exacerbated by the happy everything is perfect Posters regularly telling us how superior they are because they are positive.

I get what you're saying and I understand that Thailand used to be a utopia for most people here. I myself have only lived in Thailand for 10 years and sadly seem to have missed the glory years. Have things seemed off to me at times, why yes they have. But rather than rant about it I try to fix what ever I can. Maybe it's only to appease myself but I believe if you have a problem you need to act on it. Oddly enough I have not seen any of the happy style posters claim in anyway to be superior in this thread so I am guessing it's from another one.

My question to you is then how long can you be disappointed? The country you once loved has evolved to something new. You're not so fond of that and say than you are disappointed what would it take to stop the disappointment? Time? The country to go backwards to how it was? (we know it wont happen but just a question)

Way I see it is for better or for worse Thailand live every other country in the world will evolve. So you have to be adaptable as well. Human nature is one of constants so it's not in most of our DNA to accept change. I guess I just step back and see what I can do to make my little bubble more comfortable.

Either way the response was what I was trying to get a gauge on thanks for being forward and honest

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, KhunMhee said:

I get what you're saying and I understand that Thailand used to be a utopia for most people here. I myself have only lived in Thailand for 10 years and sadly seem to have missed the glory years. Have things seemed off to me at times, why yes they have. But rather than rant about it I try to fix what ever I can. Maybe it's only to appease myself but I believe if you have a problem you need to act on it. Oddly enough I have not seen any of the happy style posters claim in anyway to be superior in this thread so I am guessing it's from another one.

My question to you is then how long can you be disappointed? The country you once loved has evolved to something new. You're not so fond of that and say than you are disappointed what would it take to stop the disappointment? Time? The country to go backwards to how it was? (we know it wont happen but just a question)

Way I see it is for better or for worse Thailand live every other country in the world will evolve. So you have to be adaptable as well. Human nature is one of constants so it's not in most of our DNA to accept change. I guess I just step back and see what I can do to make my little bubble more comfortable.

Either way the response was what I was trying to get a gauge on thanks for being forward and honest

Yes, the mid 90s was a high point, and got even better after the baht fell a lot. 75 baht to the pound when cost of living was the same as when it was at 45. Now that really was "paradise".

Unfortunately, some things we can't fix, like scams, immigration policy and the ongoing destruction of the beaches.

Yes, LOS has "evolved", but not, IMO, in a good way. The population has got fat, greed is endemic in the business community, the environment is being destroyed, the smile has long gone, and all I can do is take my own bag to the supermarket.

Yes, I am disappointed, but I know it's not going to get better in what remains of my life. However, so far it is still better for many reasons than the alternative I can afford, so I stay and try to ignore the changes, enjoy the good bits when they occur, and hope that it doesn't get worse before I depart for the last time.

6 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

Thanks for the tone and detail of your reply and i agree no point in being continually disappointed. I think a more proactive forward looking  and positive Government a weakening of the baht and less hassle immigration policy could make  Thailand a more viable place to live again. 

40 minutes ago, sipi said:

I have a thorn in my sock.

Can you believe that?

The whole world sucks.

Only if you've already had to put up with so many negative aspects that 'the thorn' is the 'tipping point'....

This was brought home to me on a Turkish gulet holiday.  Long story - but after a number of annoyances, pretty much everyone eventually tipped into 'everything is wrong' mode.

The same applies here in Thailand.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, the mid 90s was a high point, and got even better after the baht fell a lot. 75 baht to the pound when cost of living was the same as when it was at 45. Now that really was "paradise".

Unfortunately, some things we can't fix, like scams, immigration policy and the ongoing destruction of the beaches.

Yes, LOS has "evolved", but not, IMO, in a good way. The population has got fat, greed is endemic in the business community, the environment is being destroyed, the smile has long gone, and all I can do is take my own bag to the supermarket.

Yes, I am disappointed, but I know it's not going to get better in what remains of my life. However, so far it is still better for many reasons than the alternative I can afford, so I stay and try to ignore the changes, enjoy the good bits when they occur, and hope that it doesn't get worse before I depart for the last time.

Could not agree more with the bolded. Most countries have evolved and in my opinion most for the worse. They are more like businesses and they seem to revolve more around money that the people. But that's what the entire world has become. I would bet it's hard to name 10 countries that put people above their own self absorbed government. And most here would disagree about what was said and not everyone shares the same political view.

I was burned out with Bangkok traffic a while back. Tired of being late for meeting with people (something that always bugs me). SO my solution was move, not saying we can move away from every problem but skipping over to Nonthaburi made both me and Mrs. Mhee feel better. It seems like the rants on TVF might help some people feel better ad if that's as simple as it is I'm happy to learn it. I guess in my own naive way I was trying to maybe understand and help people see life is not all doom and gloom. If TVF is just a rant to blow off excessive pressure then All the power to em. I would suggest a vent sub forum to those who need it as I think some posts are looking for genuine ideas/thoughts and don't need the mass negativity

5 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Thanks for the tone and detail of your reply and i agree no point in being continually disappointed. I think a more proactive forward looking  and positive Government a weakening of the baht and less hassle immigration policy could make  Thailand a more viable place to live again. 

I don't know many who would disagree with the bolded! That's the one thing I do sometimes get disgruntled over....

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Do you understand what we mean by negativity? Have you noticed it on the forum?

Maybe we should pick examples on threads as they happen so we all can understand the problem

Yes i believe i know what you mean but in truth i think most of us are negative about different areas. For example there are those who Post on here with great enthusiasm and positivity about their lifestyle in rural Thailand but in turn have an extremely negative viewpoint for example about the bar and tourist scene in Pattaya and indeed about the people who visit the place.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Dont know if it's the Xmas period of reflection or whatever but your posts recently seem a bit more downbeat. I know this often happens to me this time of year. Hope all is ok with you. Chin up :)

Just now, KhunMhee said:

Could not agree more with the bolded. Most countries have evolved and in my opinion most for the worse. They are more like businesses and they seem to revolve more around money that the people. But that's what the entire world has become. I would bet it's hard to name 10 countries that put people above their own self absorbed government. And most here would disagree about what was said and not everyone shares the same political view.

I was burned out with Bangkok traffic a while back. Tired of being late for meeting with people (something that always bugs me). SO my solution was move, not saying we can move away from every problem but skipping over to Nonthaburi made both me and Mrs. Mhee feel better. It seems like the rants on TVF might help some people feel better ad if that's as simple as it is I'm happy to learn it. I guess in my own naive way I was trying to maybe understand and help people see life is not all doom and gloom. If TVF is just a rant to blow off excessive pressure then All the power to em. I would suggest a vent sub forum to those who need it as I think some posts are looking for genuine ideas/thoughts and don't need the mass negativity

So you think posters should agree with all positive threads, whilst disagreeing with anything negative posted?

You knew Bangkok traffic problems were an 'issue', but would have either ignored the thread (to maintain 'happiness'... :shock1:), or posted to assure others that it wasn't an issue at all?

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

So you think posters should agree with all positive threads, whilst disagreeing with anything negative posted?

You knew Bangkok traffic problems were an 'issue', but would have either ignored the thread (to maintain 'happiness'... :shock1:), or posted to assure others that it wasn't an issue at all?

Some interesting way to read into my reply. Simple answer no not at all. If people want to post Negativity in Negative threads all the power to them. When someone is looking for advice for XXX reason and people bring gloom and doom for the sake of being negative then no not so much.

When I first moved to Bangkok I stayed on Phahonyothin road around soi 37. After the traffic worsened and even further with the new BST extension being built we made the choice to move. The issue was how fast it got worse. I do find your not so thinly veiled attempt to bait as rather odd and off. I made this thread to see what drives the upset people to post. From your baiting it seems this post upset you.

Five pages of inanity and hypocrisy!

What gives you turkeys the right to criticize others who may occasionally get grumpy and rant against their norm, and also castigate them as if you are some puritan god sitting in judgement in the heavens?   (Or a Mod) 

Did you all join Hare Krishna before posting and had all past discretions absolved from your happy minds?

Do you not see the hypocrisy in naming certain people and groups as grumpy, then making attempted humorous or threatening remarks about them?

One of the grumpy, who was driven there by childish idiots!

12 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

Some interesting way to read into my reply. Simple answer no not at all. If people want to post Negativity in Negative threads all the power to them. When someone is looking for advice for XXX reason and people bring gloom and doom for the sake of being negative then no not so much.

When I first moved to Bangkok I stayed on Phahonyothin road around soi 37. After the traffic worsened and even further with the new BST extension being built we made the choice to move. The issue was how fast it got worse. I do find your not so thinly veiled attempt to bait as rather odd and off. I made this thread to see what drives the upset people to post. From your baiting it seems this post upset you.

Really :shock1::laugh:....

Bearing in mind most of my posts are on World News (and I'm most interested in Plants, Pets and Vets), I find it hard to believe you've registered me as a Thai-negative poster......

I've already posted as to why (I think) some posters become negative re. Thailand, but I'm not one of them, so please stop pretending that I am!

Edited by dick dasterdly

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Five pages of inanity and hypocrisy!

What gives you turkeys the right to criticize others who may occasionally get grumpy and rant against their norm, and also castigate them as if you are some puritan god sitting in judgement in the heavens?   (Or a Mod) 

Did you all join Hare Krishna before posting and had all past discretions absolved from your happy minds?

Do you not see the hypocrisy in naming certain people and groups as grumpy, then making attempted humorous or threatening remarks about them?

One of the grumpy, who was driven there by childish idiots!

Oddly enough no I have not seen any of that. Where in a question was that all seen?

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Really :shock1::laugh:....

Bearing in mind most of my posts are on World News (and I'm most interested in Plants, Pets and Vets), I find it hard to believe you've registered me as a Thai-negative poster......

I've already posted as to why (I think) some posters become negative re. Thailand, but I'm not one of them, so please stop pretending that I am!

Was simply replying to the quote you posted. Answered your baited questions. Why else would you have said (to appease everyone). I skip most of the negative stuff. Though I did read your earlier post and yea was wondering where the questions came from. If I read to much into your question then I guess I was wrong.

Oddly enough no I have not seen any of that. Where in a question was that all seen?

Well as i have already pointed out in your OP you associate negativity with bitterness and your glass is always half full.  You might not see this in the exaggerated way as Old Croc describes but i also think that in some ways in your first paragraph you can be perceived to be putting yourself on a pedestal and at the same time deriding someone who makes a negative comment as  being bitter.

2 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Well as i have already pointed out in your OP you associate negativity with bitterness and your glass is always half full.  You might not see this in the exaggerated way as Old Croc describes but i also think that in some ways in your first paragraph you can be perceived to be putting yourself on a pedestal and at the same time deriding someone who makes a negative comment as  being bitter.

Ahh got ya. Strange didn't mean it to come out that way. Figured it was a direct question and adding my glass is half full is just to let people know my demeanour. Thanks for pointing it out though  

Ahh got ya. Strange didn't mean it to come out that way. Figured it was a direct question and adding my glass is half full is just to let people know my demeanour. Thanks for pointing it out though  

I would get out now. It’s only going one way. 

24 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Quite.  We're almost as tired of the 'rose tinted' comments as we are the 'old, bitter' comments...

I remember reading an interesting article some time back (maybe on here) about a sociologist who was researching the high number of foreign, mainly western, suicides that occur in this country, mainly in Pattaya and Phuket.  He/she ascertains that a lot of guys come here, often after having 1, 2, or more failed marriages back home.  They build a resentment towards western women for reasons of having to hand over 50 or more percent of their life's work, or having to put up with the wife's "headaches" etc for years etc and see Thailand, or more to the point, submissive Thai women, as an answer to all their prayers.  However, after being here a while and getting freedom, sex whenever they want, as much to drink as their heart desires whenever they want etc etc, they realise they really arent that happier than they were at home.  This in turn often leads to more broken relationships here.  So they end up 'pulling the pin' so to speak.

Maybe that explains why there are so many miserable bastards on here trying to raise themselves by putting others down via the "keyboard warrior" syndrome.

6 hours ago, KhunMhee said:

Are there people here who don't see good in anything? 

"............Because there's a conflict in every human heart between the rational and the irrational, between good and evil. The good does not always triumph. Sometimes the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature. Every man has got a breaking point. You and I have. Walter Kurtz has reached his. And very obviously, he has gone insane."

Corman (character), Apocalypse Now, 1979.

Edited by Enoon

10 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Are there people here who don't see good in anything? 

"............Because there's a conflict in every human heart between the rational and the irrational, between good and evil. The good does not always triumph. Sometimes the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature. Every man has got a breaking point. You and I have. Walter Kurtz has reached his. And very obviously, he has gone insane."

Corman (character), Apocalypse Now, 1979.

Cue - Mr Crab.....