90% of medical emergency volunteers ‘not qualified’ under new NLA rules

webfact

90% of medical emergency volunteers ‘not qualified’ under new NLA rules

By The Nation

4a991cd27bbcf926fe5b2ff0676a553e.jpeg

FEWER THAN 10 per cent of medical emergency volunteers nationwide qualify under new standards that will take effect in the middle of next year.

National Legislative Assembly (NLA) vice president Surachai Liengboonlertchai revealed that statistic yesterday as he was speaking in his capacity as chair of the NLA committee on emergency response days ahead of the “seven dangerous days” associated with traffic hazards during New Year celebrations. 

Authorities have designated the seven days as dangerous for the festive season as millions of people hit the road resulting in a spike in road accidents and casualties. 

“We are preparing staff to respond to medical emergencies during the upcoming period,” Surachai said.

He added that necessary equipment was also being prepared, including automated external defibrillators at 10 major airports, various BTS and MRT stations, and bus stations. 

The standards mentioned by Surachai refer to an announcement issued by the National Institute of Emergency Medicine (NIEMS) on November 15, which was due to take effect 180 days later. 

Under the new rule, medical emergency responders must have completed at least 40 hours of training – not just 24 hours. Additional training is also necessary for medical rescuers who wish to renew their three-year licences. 

The new rule also specified new colours associated with medical emergency vehicles. 

NIEMS secretary-general Dr Atchariya Pangma said earlier this year that the new rule would raise standards for medical emergency responders.

Units providing help in events of medical emergencies can continue with their operations, but new units established after the announcement of the new rule will have to comply with the new stipulations. 

Atchariya added that although the new colour for medical emergency vehicles would be lemon yellow, vehicles already used in medical emergencies did not need to be repainted.

“But if they are interested, they can just plaster their vehicle with lemon-hued stickers,” he added. Atchariya dismissed concerns that the new rule might have hampered charitable foundations’ efforts to help people. 

“The new rule will not restrict efforts to save lives in any way, because even ordinary people can provide first aid to those in need,” he said. 

There are now more than 10,000 units responding to medical emergencies across the country, Atchariya said, including about 39,470 medical volunteers as well as state officials. 

Special Branch Police Division 3 commander Pol Maj-General Ekarak Limsangkas said yesterday that he had ordered that all motorists involved in accidents be subjected to blood alcohol tests. 

“They will face charges of drunk driving, if their blood alcohol level is above legal limits,” he said. “If they are drunk driving, insurance firms will not provide coverage for damage and casualties. They will have to take full responsibility.” 

He added that blood alcohol content could be checked at hospitals if motorists are hospitalised. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30334923

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-28

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

“They will face charges of drunk driving, if their blood alcohol level is above legal limits,” he said. “If they are drunk driving, insurance firms will not provide coverage for damage and casualties. They will have to take full responsibility.” 

If they can find him after he runs away.

so to work in a 7/11 you need a university qualification

but to work as a first responder (ambulance crew) you need 24hrs training lol

nothing shocks me anymore in this country, they have been earning trillions these last 20/30 year as from tourism alone and they still cannot afford a proper medically trained professional ambulance service...........why ? because at least 2/3 of that money has been filling the pockets of the corrupt

Number one evil in this country is corruption and until it is dealt with properly and effectively Thailand will remain 3rd world while pretending to be something else..........some hub of something, even China are now coming down heavy on corruption

It is no easy task especially when those in various governments over the years are the main culprits, how do you stop corruption when those that have been running the place are actually the most corrupt, I had hoped that the current administration might have made some effective inroads into dealing with corruption but they have fallen well short of my expectations 

ah well at least they are going to get 48hrs training now lol.......maybe all they need to know is how to use a shovel when you look at some of the horrific scenes on Thailand's roads

I think after several years of living in Thailand I came to the realistic conclusion that; there is no calling 911 and expecting to have trained paramedics on the way to save you.
The best you can hope for is that the guys, and they do volunteer, so thats good, ain't drunk, which they often are, and they can get you to a hospital before you 'depart this mortal coil'

So another one of those wonderful Thai announcements, which will result in absolutely nothing happening or changing. Add another law about it....adding to the millions already on the books about a myriad of topics and routinely ignored!

Happy Holidays

1 hour ago, smedly said:

nothing shocks me anymore in this country, they have been earning trillions these last 20/30 year as from tourism alone and they still cannot afford a proper medically trained professional ambulance service...........why ? because at least 2/3 of that money has been filling the pockets of the corrupt

Number one evil in this country is corruption and until it is dealt with properly and effectively Thailand will remain 3rd world while pretending to be something else..........some hub of something, even China are now coming down heavy on corruption

It is no easy task especially when those in various governments over the years are the main culprits, how do you stop corruption when those that have been running the place are actually the most corrupt, I had hoped that the current administration might have made some effective inroads into dealing with corruption but they have fallen well short of my expectations 

ah well at least they are going to get 48hrs training now lol.......maybe all they need to know is how to use a shovel when you look at some of the horrific scenes on Thailand's roads

Thank you Smedly.  I firmly believe corruption is the root of everything undesirable in Thailand. I also think Thais could not yet function w/o corruption; therefore they "need" corruption. Why do I feel this way? Think a/b how Thais would react to a genuine rule of law. LOL there would be a classic revolt. 

I think/know the quality of life for the Thai people could be dramatically improved if corruption was drastically reduced. It will not and could not ever be eliminated.  Corruption impacts EVERYTHING in Thailand.

"Under the new rule, medical emergency responders must have completed at least 40 hours of training – not just 24 hours. Additional training is also necessary for medical rescuers who wish to renew their three-year licences." 

However, I have witnessed that the first responders are usually locals, who each grabs and arm, leg and belt of the injured victim, and carry him to the side of the road. When the ambulance arrives, they do the same to get him on to the spinal board. Then they congratulate each other for their "efforts". All the training in the world won't prevent these idiots from interfering, wanting to show that they are helping, and in many instances causing permanent paralysis. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“They will face charges of drunk driving, if their blood alcohol level is above legal limits,”

Wasn't aware there were "legal limits". Much of drunk driving here around, and the cops don't care.

Can anyone put a figure on those "legal" values?

4 hours ago, smedly said:

"so to work in a 7/11 you need a university qualification "

Don't think so.

2 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Thank you Smedly.  I firmly believe corruption is the root of everything undesirable in Thailand. I also think Thais could not yet function w/o corruption; therefore they "need" corruption. Why do I feel this way? Think a/b how Thais would react to a genuine rule of law. LOL there would be a classic revolt. 

I think/know the quality of life for the Thai people could be dramatically improved if corruption was drastically reduced. It will not and could not ever be eliminated.  Corruption impacts EVERYTHING in Thailand.

Corruption is but one of the manifestations of what is a fundamental difference between East and West:

The Rule of Men rather than the Rule of Law.

A system in which individuals use their "discretion" and "wisdom" instead of a rule book.

It is inevitable that such intellectual qualities may be purchased or coerced.

"Laws" are just window dressing.

Blame Confucius and the Chinese Imperial model.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, Ralf61 said:

Wasn't aware there were "legal limits". Much of drunk driving here around, and the cops don't care.

Can anyone put a figure on those "legal" values?

Thailand: 0 for professional or commercial drivers, 0.05% for all other drivers

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country and regularly mentioned in forum news articles here.......

Even though these first responders are keen and think they are doing the right thing, as the charge out of a temple compound to beat the ambulance , generally using a ute/pickup with a canopy , the incidences of them doing more damage to a patient has been pointed out many a time, especially with spinal injuries, I've just done my senior first aid refresher , which you need to do every 3 years, I've done 10 refreshers, in the work place these days you wont get far without one , once again,  as in most things Thai the intention is there , but  the structure and management are out of whack...........................:coffee1:  

10 hours ago, webfact said:

even ordinary people can provide first aid to those in need,”

Only at high risk.

" Unless you hold a First Responder certificate and you intervene in a medical emergency and that person dies, you can be held liable, regardless of whether Thai or foreigner." - TV member Chiang Mai, Post #3 and #8:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/919765-if-you-see-an-accident-what-do-you-do/

I wonder what support they have for debriefing after a critical incident? Imagine putting someone back together? or the explanation to a child; was it sufficient. 24 or 40 hours, well yeah the 40 would be better. However its after being on the job a while the debrief is where you can learn more. Also helps to maintain cognitive health.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

National Legislative Assembly (NLA) vice president Surachai Liengboonlertchai revealed that statistic yesterday as he was speaking in his capacity as chair of the NLA committee on emergency response days ahead of the “seven dangerous days” associated with traffic hazards during New Year celebrations. 

Grandstanding, but not know what happens out in the field.

9 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Just try to get it clear in your thought processes who is in fact running the country and their thousands years old "squeeze" way of doing business.

Impossible to stop that!

Emergency vehicles have been traditionally red around the world. The reason is, it stands out and is recognised internationally as emergency vehicle. 

Let's face it, they added the extra hours but the real goal was to change to lemon yellow. 

Just shows how childish and sneaky some people are. 

3 hours ago, greenchair said:

Emergency vehicles have been traditionally red around the world. The reason is, it stands out and is recognised internationally as emergency vehicle. 

Let's face it, they added the extra hours but the real goal was to change to lemon yellow. 

Just shows how childish and sneaky some people are. 

Red? maybe in the US but certainly not in the UK and most of Europe....