Second Chiang Mai airport endorsed

webfact

3 hours ago, bubba said:

Where would this second runway be located? ICAO guidelines require about 1000 m separation between the centre line of each runway for simultaneous takeoffs and landings. 

I don't think the runway is the bottleneck... It's the design of the departure area - Where you leave the gate to enter a long communal hallway that goes to all the tarmaks... This only allows for only one plane to board at a time - they need a building where each gate has its own tarmak... There is gobs of land just to the south of the present terminal for such a building

Edited by sfokevin

4 hours ago, Tracyb said:

When, do you suppose, we might hear about the actual, proposed locations; e.g. where in San Kampaeng, etc.?

Mr T. made sure that it will be built on the land he purchased prior to the announcement, way back in 2002 when the plan started to take shape.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

CM airport can handle 24 flight per hour, rather than 24 flights per week 

I worked at an airport where we regularly handled 24 flights per hour. In spite of a curfew between midnight and 6am when we were reduced to 12 per hour, we regularly exceeded 300 per day

On 12/28/2017 at 9:41 AM, canuckamuck said:

They don't need a second airport, what they need is a  bigger parking lot.

A taxi to and from the airport from most of Chiang Mai city is 200 baht. I don't understand the compulsion to park there.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A taxi to and from the airport from most of Chiang Mai city is 200 baht. I don't understand the compulsion to park there.

Most people don't live in the city.  The car park is tiny.  They've built the ground floor, but forgotten the extra 5...

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:41 AM, canuckamuck said:

They don't need a second airport, what they need is a  bigger parking lot.

And what do you think access and exit to the airport will be like in 10,15,20 years time as that is how long it will take to choose the sensible option to get it out of the city.Swampy took 30 years from date of approval and has already grown out of its facilities

Hang Dong Rd and around Airport Plaza are already at times gridlocked.Took us 20 mins recently just to get out of the parking area after picking up a passenger, totally clogged up with buses ,songteaws, taxis trying to p/u or drop off passengers.

It can be linked up with a mono rail or whatever they decide and a new road.

Seems no one can think past next week in the planning of CM which is bursting at the seams with traffic that gives one no option but to join the endless  queues

• 5 weeks later...
On 03/01/2018 at 4:58 PM, nauseus said:

A bit tight with hills, river, roads and existing development, especially for twin runways. Somewhere in Lamphun easier.

what river and existing development besides rice farms of course... are between doi lo police station and ganesh museum ,which is on the south side on mae khan. 15 kilometers of flat land along  the western side of highway 108 on my map .

On 12/28/2017 at 9:57 AM, Tracyb said:

When, do you suppose, we might hear about the actual, proposed locations; e.g. where in San Kampaeng, etc.?

Back when Tacky was funnelling money to connections in the CM area they talked of a san kampeang airport. 

From info I saw and was told back then it was ear marked for north of the 1006 and a bit under halfway to the 118.. So almost the doi saket / san kampeng border areas.. While a good location to site it, the road connections back to the city are less than ideal and navigating san kampeang / bo sang would need a lot of new freeway / flyovers / etc. 

The other location being mooted is the area out towards the small lake(s) (Mae Thi) at the very northern bit of lamphun province. While this is possibly slightly a greater distance I would have to think that given the 11 highway and the dual carriageway 1317 make for much easier connections. 

• 4 months later...