Car service in Thailand

billbenbob

I just purchased a Honda HRV can somebody tell me why you must have it serviced every 10,000 K. If you purchased the same car in the UK service is required every 12,500 miles just over 20,000 K .It can,t be the heat surely as the engine runs hot what ever country you are in.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In the UK large fleets of main stream vehicles are purchased by Companies / Lease companies, any with service intervals of less than circa 20,000k would not make it onto the Fleet Managers can buy list. Having buying clout can alter things probably the same clout that may have changed the fact that the warranty is not affected when work is done by a VAT registered repairer using factory parts the Companies have their own workshops and the vehicles don't go near a Franchised Dealer.

How much would you be paying in the UK for a 20,000 KM service at a Honda Dealership?

Prices in Belgium and Holland are:

- 99 euro + tax for changing the oil and checking the fluids.

- 199 euro + tax for changing the oil and checking brakes, steering column, rubbers, test drive and Honda's HDS system check (doesn't include changing anything, just checking).

- 329 euro + tax for the above + changing engine air filter and AC filter.

Changing fluids are all charged separately. 

I think finally the total cost in Thailand will be a lot cheaper than over in Europe.

2 hours ago, billbenbob said:

I did not mention costs I simply ask why a Honda would need servicing at 10,000 in Thailand and 20,000 in the UK as per a Honda manual.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It's the same on bikes but I usually don't question it because oil and labour is very cheap and keeping the warranty intact is worth it for peace of mind + resale value

I bought a new yamaha Aerox and the first oil change was 1000km and the  dealer said next one is supposed to be at 4000km

I was thinking 3000km between oil changes sounds a bit ridiculous but it's so cheap I suppose it's not worth worrying about 

Someone has to subsidise the 15 teenage mechanics who spend the day playing games on Facebook :smile:

I was told to follow their schedule or lose warranty. After three or four services I realised that NOTHING else was being checked/examined. I now go to Bquick every 13000 Km or so and they do an excellent job even if they do try to sell me stuff I don't need.

12 hours ago, billbenbob said:

I did not mention costs I simply ask why a Honda would need servicing at 10,000 in Thailand and 20,000 in the UK as per a Honda manual.

There are companies in Thailand which do a servicing every 15,000 km (Ford, maybe Chevrolet)....

13 hours ago, billbenbob said:

What does the Honda Thailand manuals say?

What the Honda United Kingdom manual says is totally irrelevant in this discussion.

3 hours ago, cooked said:

I was told to follow their schedule or lose warranty. After three or four services I realised that NOTHING else was being checked/examined. I now go to Bquick every 13000 Km or so and they do an excellent job even if they do try to sell me stuff I don't need.

They don't have to check everything... It's basically the official stamp on the book you pay for.... 

At least then, if your engine blows up prematurely its covered by the warranty because you followed the recommended service intervals at the dealer

Many people in Thailand don’t bother with service/maintenance - look at thousands of TV Thai bashing comments for example.

Honda may be trying to encourage responsible people to look after their cars. Change the oil, check the brakes etc for Thb 1000 every 6 months - it’s not a big deal. In these temperatures and on these roads it’s life saving to keep your car in good condition.

Use dinosaur oil - change with filter at 5000 km

Using that overpriced, oversold, much hyped Synthetic - without driving an F1 car or similar - who knows.

I agree it is superior, but for intended application, which you will never experience on any car bought at any dealer. If Colin Chapman, or Kenny Roberts, gives you the recommendation - go for it.

But a Vios, or Vigo, or Honda ... 555 Spend away !!

23 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Use dinosaur oil - change with filter at 5000 km

Using that overpriced, oversold, much hyped Synthetic - without driving an F1 car or similar - who knows.

I agree it is superior, but for intended application, which you will never experience on any car bought at any dealer. If Colin Chapman, or Kenny Roberts, gives you the recommendation - go for it.

But a Vios, or Vigo, or Honda ... 555 Spend away !!

Every 5000km (3100miles) is probably overkill for modern engines thesedays.... 

I have seen mechanics collecting lightly used oil for their own bikes (to save money) when people insist on an oil change when they really don't need it

I had my Fortuner serviced every 10,000 kms or 6 months, usually 6 months to validate the warranty, it costs the square root of diddly squat, also driving in hot dusty climates does take it toll on engines, oil, filters etc, I learnt this in the army, so, wise to get it done for peace of mind, now that the warranty has expired they only see me once a year :smile:  

Edited by Golden Triangle

21 hours ago, billbenbob said:

It is interesting indeed. I just bought a new Pajero and same there, 10.000 km interval. 

However it is included 100.000km or 5 year with free service so stoped bothering:)

By than it's time to change again. 

But yes, it seems often. 

During my job in Europe I used to drive leasing BMW and Audi for more than 30 years...they only needed service every 30.000 KM...So...in Thailand it's only about "money, money, money"!  And if you don't follow the rules you lose guarantee.  Most of the buyers follow those rules until guarantee expires after  3 years or 100.000 KM and than go to local shops at a much cheaper price.

14 minutes ago, janpharma said:

During my job in Europe I used to drive leasing BMW and Audi for more than 30 years...they only needed service every 30.000 KM...So...in Thailand it's only about "money, money, money"!  And if you don't follow the rules you lose guarantee.  Most of the buyers follow those rules until guarantee expires after  3 years or 100.000 KM and than go to local shops at a much cheaper price.

I think different companies require different schedules ...

The 2007 BMW 5-Series we had was on how you drive and it started out at 30,000kms

Mrs J's RS Civic is every 6months or  9/10K Kms(can't remember which) and the oil change is whenever the computer says which appears to be about 7-9K Kms.

The Everest is every 9months or 15K kms and the Fiesta is the same ....................

Her 21years old Mazda Lantis, had it from new, is whenever ............ :smile:

Edited by JAS21

25 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I think different companies require different schedules ...

The 2007 BMW 5-Series we had was on how you drive and it started out at 30,000kms

Mrs J's RS Civic is every 6months or  9/10K Kms(can't remember which) and the oil change is whenever the computer says which appears to be about 7-9K Kms.

The Everest is every 9months or 15K kms and the Fiesta is the same ....................

Her 21years old Mazda Lantis, had it from new, is whenever ............ :smile:

The computer says what the (Thai) put into it...so...instead of servicing every 30.000 KM they want to charge every 10.000 KM  and at 40.000 KM they try to charge Extra for "cleaning injectors and climate control"...again more than 7000 Thb...Sorry, this is BS.

21 minutes ago, janpharma said:

The computer says what the (Thai) put into it...so...instead of servicing every 30.000 KM they want to charge every 10.000 KM  and at 40.000 KM they try to charge Extra for "cleaning injectors and climate control"...again more than 7000 Thb...Sorry, this is BS.

Something is BS ... that's for sure ...what number Leo you are at :passifier:

19 hours ago, speedtripler said:

They don't have to check everything... It's basically the official stamp on the book you pay for.... 

At least then, if your engine blows up prematurely its covered by the warranty because you followed the recommended service intervals at the dealer

And then when your engine blows just out of warranty you're up sh.. creek in a barbed wire canoe.  I'd be looking for a proper service.

22 hours ago, billbenbob said:

Sorry I spoke old son I thought Honda was an international company and in my book obviously not in your book the same rules would apply in there service manuals what ever country you were in a Honda HRV is built the same in any factory in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Assumption... that's the only thing I can see in 'your book'.

13 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

And then when your engine blows just out of warranty you're up sh.. creek in a barbed wire canoe.  I'd be looking for a proper service.

They don't do everything on the check list in my experience 

Some dealers don't let you into  the service area anymore either so you can't stand over them and watch to make sure things get done properly .... 

If you have a 5yr warranty you can just sell

I would be bored keeping any vehicle in excess of 5yrs anyway, regardless of service cost

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for Ford in Canada in the parts department as a shipper receiver and I saw many  people who never came to service there cars etc even though the warranty said so crying because the dealership and Ford would not give them warranty .So gentlemen if you buy new here in Thailand get it serviced at the dealership till the warranty runs out.Oh by the way Honda here uses 0 w50 synthetic oil from new,i was always taught to  use mineral oil for the first 10,000ks then use syn oil and then reason why is mineral lets the parts in the engine wear together evenly and when you change to syn oil it leaves a micro film of oil on the engine parts so less wear on start ups,also good if you own a turbo car or truck as if you don't let the car engine idle for 5 minutes after before you shut it off the oil boils on the turbo bearings and leaves microscopic pits which will mean less life for the turbo later,for Petrol or diesel engines.So it's cheap to maintain your car here in Thailand change oil every 5,000ks cheaper than a new engine right.Hey I had a car in Canada 420,000ks and a truck 340,000ks and my last car a Ford focus 2009 150,000ks before I moved to Thailand,good luck and drive safe.

Edited by don1959
spelling era

• 4 weeks later...

I see  there is a service station  at  the petrol station I use on Sukhamvit - it's all in Thai  -  priced for  10 ,000 20,000  kms etc.

Does anyone have any idea whether they are good - seems they service most popular cars  and have a stock of basic oil filters etc .

5 hours ago, Jack100 said:

I see  there is a service station  at  the petrol station I use on Sukhamvit - it's all in Thai  -  priced for  10 ,000 20,000  kms etc.

Does anyone have any idea whether they are good - seems they service most popular cars  and have a stock of basic oil filters etc .

Basic oil filters! ... the oil filter is pretty important, going for a 'cheepo' may not be the best decision you ever made ...

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, JAS21 said:

Basic oil filters! ... the oil filter is pretty important, going for a 'cheepo' may not be the best decision you ever made ...

Thanks I am fully aware of that and always  bring my original   in to Thailand   -  in a suitcase .