What is the best way to get a Motorcycle into Thailand?

doggie1955

I am looking at shipping a bike from Korea, or just buying it in Cambodia/Losa and driving it back to Thailand.

Anyone knows the in's and out's on shipping it here or buying it in Cambodia/Losa and bring it across?

What would be the best way? Here is one of the bikes I am looking at, Hyosung GV250 or ST7-D.

25552292_1526038160764661_7749859344241179829_n.jpg

Don't be stupid--the price of everything is more expensive in Cambodia than in Thailand, and they will charge an unbelievable tax if you try to bring it into Thailand.  Buy and Honda, Yamaha, Kwasaki, built in Thailand--the only way to fly!

Web search revealed Hyosung in Rayong. Click the link and nothing. Does not seem to be any dealers here.

Further search for Asia revealed they are sold in Vietnam.

Which begs the question - why would you even import a bike here, with no dealers, no source of parts in country ?

Look at bikes available here, make your choice.

Or proceed far far down the road to Disaster

Once I saw one of those for sale here. Forget where. See the chrome pipe off the rear cylinder? That is a cover. Underneath is a steel pipe worthy of a lawn mower exhaust.  PM sent.

Doggie this is your second attempt at this. First https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/964952-korean-bike-manufacturer-hyosung/ 

Edited by VocalNeal

Be aware (very aware) that Thailand has very high Import Tariffs and Customs taxes. This is an excerpt from the Thai Customs website:

Type of Vehicles Cylinder Capacity Duty (%) Total (%)
Motor Vehicle (Tariff Heading 87.03)       Not exceeding 2000 cc. 80 188
2001 cc. but not exceeding 2500 cc. 80 213
2501 cc. or but not exceeding 3000 cc. 80 244
More than 3001 cc. 80 328

Motorcycle
(Tariff Heading 87.11)
  60 77.04

That tax is on the "CIF" (CIF = Cost/Insurance/Freight), so if the bike cost 90,000 baht plus 2,000 for insurance and 8,000 for shipping (for example) the CIF would be 100,000 baht and you'd end up paying 77,040 baht to bring it into Thailand.

http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=individuals_151007_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_01

(There are discounts for used vehicles though. A friend brought his Harley over and only paid to get it here, no duties or tariffs, because he could prove he had personally owned it for 14 years.)

I have a friend in Pattaya who is selling this motorbike, if I remember around 45,000 baht new.

She has a few models to choose from.

I know its not the same but its not going to loose you the large amount of cash buying the other bike.

20171005_201223.jpg

42 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

why the <deleted> would you want to buy a pile of crap like that?

I hear what you’re saying, but really don’t you think it is a bit harsh.

I personally have had 3 big bikes hear in Pattaya, a Buell and 2 Ducati’s both with excess of 160HP.

The bike I displayed is of similar appearance.

I am not bothered what the guy rides; he is a biker, that’s cool for me.

BTW, what do you ride?

Buddy, I am not a bikie but my honest opinion would be to forget it and buy something locally here in Thailand.

I have a 1989 Ford LTD Stretch Limo in Australia and that is where it is staying because of the amount of mucking around and the import duties and taxes here in Thailand it is not worth getting the car over here. First you must apply for permission to import the vehicle then when it arrives you are hit with with the import duties and taxes and the value is not what you say it is, it is what the customs officer states and if you argue with him then forget it, it will never enter the country, Go down to the docks in Bangkok and have a look at the vehicles parked there that cannot come into the country because of the high import duties and taxes.

35 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Buddy, I am not a bikie but my honest opinion would be to forget it and buy something locally here in Thailand.

I have a 1989 Ford LTD Stretch Limo in Australia and that is where it is staying because of the amount of mucking around and the import duties and taxes here in Thailand it is not worth getting the car over here. First you must apply for permission to import the vehicle then when it arrives you are hit with with the import duties and taxes and the value is not what you say it is, it is what the customs officer states and if you argue with him then forget it, it will never enter the country, Go down to the docks in Bangkok and have a look at the vehicles parked there that cannot come into the country because of the high import duties and taxes.

Isnt there now a free trade agreement between Thailand and Australia that removes the import duties etc ?

On 30/12/2017 at 11:33 AM, rickjza said:

I have a friend in Pattaya who is selling this motorbike, if I remember around 45,000 baht new.

She has a few models to choose from.

I know its not the same but its not going to loose you the large amount of cash buying the other bike.

20171005_201223.jpg

I’ve had a couple of PM’s about the bike I spoke of earlier.

To those of you that would like more information (not NICKMONDO_ A.K.A. Mr. Negative who has no idea how to reply to comments) I have attached a brochure and contact number.

IMG_20171231_095410.jpg

IMG_20171231_095402.jpg

Thailand does not allow the importation of secondhand bikes or cars according to an order 3 or 4 years ago. I don't believe that order has been rescinded. I did have an email from a shipping company confirming this but it has long been deleted.

The nearest you can get to 'importing' is the system where you can have the vehicle with you for the duration of your visa and then you must export it again....forget what is is called - I'm sure someone will know.

If any one has verifiable info that second hand bikes can again be imported please post the updated details.