British man dies suddenly in Thailand one month after getting married

webfact

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have had it twice, Thailand and Indonesia,  and No, it is no picnic, last time I was 62 and took 2 weeks to recover but I had a good immune system..  I had a person working for me that almost died from Dengue - the cure was a complete blood transfusion in Singapore - they blamed her non-recovery to a poor immune system because she was a Vegetarian and skinny as a rail.

And still you question this guys untimely death?

You are just trolling now.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/30/2017 at 11:00 AM, Kerryd said:

He got sick around mid-December and went to the hospital in Udon Thani. He was diagnosed with Dengue Fever. A few days later (on 20 Dec) he slipped into a coma and died.

As he was in a hospital and diagnosed with a disease (that ended up killing him) it is unlikely that an autopsy would have been done. My dad was in a hospital in Pattaya when he passed on (from advanced lung cancer) and they didn't do an autopsy either because they already knew what killed him and could complete the Death Certificate.

Finally someone with a normal explanation . Dengue fever is deadly , we all know that .  Now maybe time to stop the TV conspiracies. 

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

My Thai FIL died last month of Dengue fever in BKK. He had been in hospital for about 6 weeks and was sent home to die, simply because at 80 they could not cure him.

Up until he caught Dengue he was pretty fit and healthy. My wife showed me a photo of him when they took him home and he had lost so much weight and looked a bit like a skeleton.

He died 3 days later.

It is definitely NOT the way I want to go.

I'm afraid life's not asking you when and how you've got to go. It just happens. 

Bugger, there goes 10 mins of typing an argument for an unsuspicious death.  Well done anyway.

Never mind, I can still use this:

The cause of death was/is known to the various agencies involved and to his next of kin......his Thai wife.

That being the case it was perfectly reasonable for the cremation to take place.

Apparently it was not thought necessary to get an OK from TVF contributors first.

(It wouldn't have hurt for anyone to have read the newspaper article and discovered that his 19 years of Thailand experience is unlikely to have made of him a "lamb to the slaughter")

We are not so easily convinced ! Yes we are “Experienced “ with what goes down

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, markaoffy said:

The daughter doesn’t seem concerned that he was cremated so soon! “Thai culture ?” She perhaps doesn’t know how it works in Thailand! No way cremated so soon when you are not satisfied with cause of death !

Everyone concerned (hospital, ex-wife, police, etc) seems to be satisfied that an old man died of a disease that is known to kill people.   

Why can't you just accept that?  Why do half the old men on here think that every Thai is out to do them in?    

Sometimes the level of stupidity and paranoia displayed in these forums makes me wonder as to the mental capacity of the members.  

18 hours ago, Joebuzz said:

It is best to prepay your autopsy prior to setting foot in Thailand.

..it is a service provided by the Health Dept..if the family disputes the cause of death they can request the attorney-general to order a post mortem, if they provide sufficient evidence to warrant it. In addition, the next of kin can request a second post mortem if they too can provide sufficient evidence; quite often the next of kin must pay for this procedure by an independent pathologist.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

In that case, the family would have been notified as to the cause of death - what do you think generates all our 'speculative remarks'  The family reported they have not been told what he died of - it is suspicious he was cremated before the Embassy was notified of a citizen death with a death certificate indicting the cause........just saying........this is TVF after all. 

Myself, it is in my will that I not be cremated, my brother, should he survive me has to come and collect my body and take me home.  Thats what insurance is for.

59 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I get your point but, even in Australia were I am from, the death certificate takes a week or so and is arranged by the funeral directors. You get a call from the funeral directors, go and pick up the ashes and death cert.

I had to return to Australia for a funeral and needed a death cert to fast track Thai wives visa, it was not available, I had to rely on a document from funeral directors.

In the OP (and news article) the daughter said the cause of death wasn't known and then in the next line (in the news article) it says they are still waiting for confirmation on the cause of death which tells me they know what it was but were waiting for it to be confirmed (i.e. perhaps by a copy of the death certificate). 

In my case, dad was in a (government) hospital when he died. He'd gone in a couple days earlier as his health was failing (and it was just a matter of "when", not "if"). 
He died on a Saturday and we had the Death Certificate on Monday morning. First off we had to go to City Hall (to register the Death Certificate). Then we had to go to the Embassy in Bangkok (to have his passport cancelled, get certified true copies of the translations of the Death Certificate and the Authorization to Dispose of his body).
I think we got those back on Wednesday and then went to the Temple to arrange the cremation. The earliest we could do the ceremony was on the Friday, which was 6 days after he passed (which was also why they refused to do a "3 Day" ceremony as well). 

So it seems that getting the paperwork done and making the arrangements can take 3-4 days (easily), if there are no complications. Mr Diamond died on 20 Dec (after being hospitalized for a few days) and was cremated on the 24th (or 25th ? I wasn't sure if the pics were taken on the 25th or posted on the 25th). The timing doesn't seem too far off to me considering he was in a hospital (on a weekday) when he died.
They probably had the Death Certificate within hours (the 20th was a Wednesday) though that would have only given them 2 days to get to the Embassy in Bangkok and back. (They may not have bothered with formalities like getting the Death Certificate translated and notarized. I did because I knew I'd need those for when I went to settle his affairs back home. They may have even made the arrangements with the Temple concurrently or prior to making the trip to the Embassy. Hard to say.)

I note as well that there hasn't been any follow-up to the "Evening Telegraph" article (or any comments on it) and no "hue or a cry" from the relatives (or the Embassy/government/etc) after the initial article.

Also I see that this topic has been posted on his wife's Facebook page. 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

And still you question this guys untimely death?

You are just trolling now.

I have never trolled - the family said they had not been told the cause of death, he was cremated before a death certificate was issued, his death wasn't reported to the Brit Embassy for a number of days 'after he was cremated'  it is all suspisious.

RIP to the Man, and I wish his new bride the best of luck.

They obviously informed his wife, or is she not family?

They informed the embassy who let his family in UK know, I would imagine fairly quickly, on the lines of 'your father has passed away in hospital after an illness and we will let you know the official cause of death when we receive that from the Thai authorties.

Edited by overherebc

11 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have never trolled - the family said they had not been told the cause of death, he was cremated before a death certificate was issued, his death wasn't reported to the Brit Embassy for a number of days 'after he was cremated'  it is all suspisious.

Impossible. The hospital wouldn't release the body without issuing a death certificate.

If a foreigner dies in LOS, there's usually the Tourist Police involved. 

Edited by jenny2017

10 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Impossible. The hospital wouldn't release the body without issuing a death certificate.

If a foreigner dies in LOS, there's usually the Tourist Police involved. 

I rest my case, very suspicious things surrounding this whole episode......

The wife in Thailand had a signed death certificate  ,  ( hemorrhagic bleeding bought on by Dengue fever ) the British embassy was informed , she received an e-mail from the embassy saying they had informed his daughter in Scotland and everything was okay.

The daughter in Scotland wasn't sure of the cause of death as there was some language / translation problems. The death certificate had been issued by the hospital that treated him , the Thai wife went to her amphur police station just to make sure everything was okay with them and he was cremated.

Edited by NE1

On 12/29/2017 at 2:10 PM, Face Rip said:

Well that's the thing.

It's not the fact that he died but how he died and whether we will really know the true cause.. how long does an autopsy take to conduct anyways? 

Oh wait there was a cremation 

You just never know when your number is up.

I came back from Africa and arrived on a Friday Night.  Already wasn't feeling my best but after a long flight this was expected. I still had a couple of beers on the way home.

On Saturday I started to feel something was wrong. No Beers that day or desire for any. Only rest. 

Come Sunday I didn't feel well at all. Decided to go see the Doctor on Monday.

Come Monday I couldn't walk at all. I could not stand up. I needed help to get to my car to get to the hospital. Was greeted with a stretcher and rushed into ICU. X-ray revealed Double Pneumonia, even when I had no cough or any signs of Flu then. 

Two days to start recovery under Biotic Oxygen Mask and unlimited IV. 

Then 3 weeks of coughing my lungs out to recover. But lucky as 1 in 20 still die from this.

You just never know!   . 

6 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

In that case, the family would have been notified as to the cause of death - what do you think generates all our 'speculative remarks'  The family reported they have not been told what he died of - it is suspicious he was cremated before the Embassy was notified of a citizen death with a death certificate indicting the cause........just saying........this is TVF after all. 

Myself, it is in my will that I not be cremated, my brother, should he survive me has to come and collect my body and take me home.  Thats what insurance is for.

But his next of kin, that is his Thai wife was informed of the the reason for his death. The hospital did what they are supposed to do. He was then cremated which is what happens in Thailand in most cases. That his family in the UK, once he was married were shuffled down the chain a bit.

If his wife didn't tell his UK family may be because she cannot speak English well enough to explain, perhaps he was estranged from his family by marrying his Thai wife. The UK Embassy was told and perhaps they did not pass the message on.

It is the responsibility of the Thai Police to inform the embassy and not the hospital.

Once he had died and his body was released to his wife is when the countdown to the cremation begins and it is usually 3 days so his wife did the correct thing.

I have made a book of my death explaining to my wife what should happen, who to notify etc, pension providers, family (or what I have left of one). I will be cremated here in Thailand and my remains will be put in the spirit house in the front garden.

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm afraid life's not asking you when and how you've got to go. It just happens. 

I would prefer a nicer way to go though ( preferably not while I am driving my car or motorbike) and the timing doesn't bother me.

5 hours ago, markaoffy said:

The daughter doesn’t seem concerned that he was cremated so soon! “Thai culture ?” She perhaps doesn’t know how it works in Thailand! No way cremated so soon when you are not satisfied with cause of death !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

His wife who is his legal next of kin seemed to be happy enough and she has the responsibility for his cremation.

On 30/12/2017 at 8:18 AM, chrissables said:

You are wrong.

A friend of mine died a few weeks ago at his home. His body stayed in the house until he was cremated a few days later.

No, I'm not wrong. I just state what the rules are. What happens in real life is a completely different matter. We are after all in Thailand.

On 12/31/2017 at 7:45 PM, billd766 said:

But his next of kin, that is his Thai wife was informed of the the reason for his death. The hospital did what they are supposed to do. He was then cremated which is what happens in Thailand in most cases. That his family in the UK, once he was married were shuffled down the chain a bit.

If his wife didn't tell his UK family may be because she cannot speak English well enough to explain, perhaps he was estranged from his family by marrying his Thai wife. The UK Embassy was told and perhaps they did not pass the message on.

It is the responsibility of the Thai Police to inform the embassy and not the hospital.

Once he had died and his body was released to his wife is when the countdown to the cremation begins and it is usually 3 days so his wife did the correct thing.

I have made a book of my death explaining to my wife what should happen, who to notify etc, pension providers, family (or what I have left of one). I will be cremated here in Thailand and my remains will be put in the spirit house in the front garden.

Me too, my adult Thai son is my NOK, and he's written it all down in detail, in my case a local nominated hospital where I have registered has to be contacted quickly, they will come and take my body to remove my body parts that can be transplanted then on agreement of a date with my son they will conduct the cremation, free.  Son will get the ashes and he wants to put them in a small urn in the back of a cabinet in his bedroom.

My Thai son also signed up for the same process. 

On 12/31/2017 at 2:28 PM, markaoffy said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

He died of known causes in a Thai hospital. The death notice issued by the hospital was presented to the British Embassy who allowed the release of the remains to next of kin and before the cremation.

PLEASE RE-READ THE LAST POST HEREIN.

On 12/31/2017 at 3:38 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

He  was NOT cremated before the death certificate was issued. You are TOTALLY fabricating your own chronology. Why?

PLEASE RE-READ THE LAST POST HEREIN.

On 12/31/2017 at 6:45 PM, NE1 said:

The wife in Thailand had a signed death certificate  ,  ( hemorrhagic bleeding bought on by Dengue fever ) the British embassy was informed , she received an e-mail from the embassy saying they had informed his daughter in Scotland and everything was okay.

The daughter in Scotland wasn't sure of the cause of death as there was some language / translation problems. The death certificate had been issued by the hospital that treated him , the Thai wife went to her amphur police station just to make sure everything was okay with them and he was cremated.

Mr. Diamond had complications from Dengue fever, not unknown in older people with compromised immune systems or pre-existing conditions.

On 12/29/2017 at 2:10 PM, Face Rip said:

Well that's the thing.

It's not the fact that he died but how he died and whether we will really know the true cause.. how long does an autopsy take to conduct anyways? 

Oh wait there was a cremation 

a couple of my friends have died over the last 3 years.....autopsy result for both of them WAS DIED FROM NATURAL CAUSES !!! tells one that autopsy result can be anything in this country....

6 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

a couple of my friends have died over the last 3 years.....autopsy result for both of them WAS DIED FROM NATURAL CAUSES !!! tells one that autopsy result can be anything in this country....

And what is so questionable about those results?

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

Unless you have some disagreement with cremation per se, what would that achieve? Do you think if they paid for a cremation ( does insurance pay for that ) and found something suspicious it would change anything back in LOS?