First day of the “7 dangerous day” road safety campaign claims 41 deaths

webfact

First day of the “7 dangerous day” road safety campaign claims 41 deaths 

By Thai PBS

traffic2.jpg

Road accidents claimed 41  deaths on the first day of the seven-day road safety campaign from Dec 28-Jan 3.

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said on Friday (Dec 29) that on Dec 28, the first day of the campaign, a total of 477 cases of traffic accidents were reported with 41 people killed and over 500 injured.

He said drink driving accounted for 42.77% of total cases, followed by speeding 26%. Motorcycle is the vehicle that involved in most fatal cases, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/first-day-7-dangerous-day-road-safety-campaign-claims-41-deaths/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-29

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Darcula said:

Quite an achievement. This figure is even less than the 358 dangerous days.

It always is - the 7 dangerous days usually turn out to be the 7 safest. I put this down to most highways slowing to a crawl which sees many fender benders happening but not the usual highspeed collisions. 

Road deaths down on day one of holidays as enforcement steps up

By The Nation

be218c46a67bd3e27b1df1f59af9d4c4.jpeg

As Thai holidaymakers journeyed to their hometowns for the annual New Year Festival with accompanying high traffic volumes on highways and crowded transport hubs, the Road Safety Operation Centre on Friday reported a slight decrease in accidents, deaths and injuries on the first of the seven-day road safety promotion period ending January 3.

Thursday saw 41 deaths and 500 injuries in 477 road accidents – down in comparison to the same day last year when 524 road accidents claimed 42 lives and wounded 526 people, said Minister of Transport Arkhom Termpittayapaisith.

a178ab3f5c3907fc2c3917de9c3d30b8.jpeg

Chiang Mai reported the most accidents at 23 cases and the most casualties at 25 injuries while Si Sa Ket suffered the most fatalities with six deaths.

The top two main causes of accidents were drunk driving (42.77 per cent) and speeding (26 per cent), while most crashes (73.62 per cent) involved motorcycles, Arkhom said. About 44 per cent of accidents took place on highways, while about one-third occurred on village roads, he said, with around 30 per cent of the crashes happening between 4pm and 8pm. Slightly over half (52.49 per cent) of the crash victims were of working age. 

The 2,008 checkpoints staffed by 64,275 officers arrested 89,277 law-breaking motorists, mostly for failing to show a driver’s licence (25,628) and motorcyclists failing to wear a helmet (25,329).

Arkhom said many people now set out for their hometowns or to visit attractions upcountry for the New Year holidays.

With highways so busy, the centre had instructed each province to set up checkpoints to arrest law-breaking motorists, especially those driving drunk, speeding, dozing off behind wheel, using a phone while driving or failing to use safety gears. 

He said officers were also told to stop buses and vans for safety checks, as well as punishing those driving pickup trucks carrying passengers in a dangerous manner. With transport hubs crowded with travellers, the authorities were asked to check on bus drivers for sobriety and vehicle condition while police and soldiers joined in directing traffic flows, the minister said.

Those experiencing or witnessing road crashes are urged to use the hotline 1784 or 1669 to get help. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335046

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-29

I assume the 41 deaths are likely only those who died at the scene of the accident.

The World Health Organisation's estimate for Thailand of 24,237 (2013) uses the criteria of death within 30 days of the accident caused primarily by injuries received in the accident, an average of 66.4 per day.

I suggest it would be reasonable to conclude that ultimately deaths every day of the “7 Dangerous Days” are significantly above 66.4 per day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Buses are easy to check. breath test before they leave the terminal, that a no brainer, both drivers, private company buses and minibuses full stop and test at every checkpoint, even if it means testing them 10 times. Now what have we forgot? Oh! that's right, the cars...anyone driving a fortuner, or Toyota, Ford pick up next on the list for regular stops, as they seem to be the ones who's power output doesn't match the drivers abilities, plus every import car, and SUV. Next MINI drivers. and any vehicle which has been modified, or shows previous damage, or big repairs. Black smokers, fat tires. Hard shoulder riders. plus every single motorbiker, with glorious student sitting side saddle, (just for a change of scenery). All two strokers with flip flops. and any student wearing Tech college jacket!  In town local boobies to pull over all local fat boys riding undersized motorbikes, boys with swept back hair (because the crash helmet spends more time off than on) Old ladies and men coming from the market as its what the also done! and I never had to look when driving across back in the 60's. ( That the one which is the only time ever I had to put down a 60 yard skid mark and thank goodness I could also continue to steer! (My days with a Fortuner)) and what a beautiful straight road I could see for miles, pity I didn't have a baseball bat then! Now where are these policemen???

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

It always is - the 7 dangerous days usually turn out to be the 7 safest. I put this down to most highways slowing to a crawl which sees many fender benders happening but not the usual highspeed collisions. 

A reasonable comment,except the majority of deaths is still motor cycles which probably haven't slowed down - just getting hit by cars traveling a little slower. 

Yesterday, at Bangkok Ekammai, the bus to Pattaya was stopped just before leaving the terminal. The driver presented a log book to officials at the exit. Then one of the officials came on the bus and ordered everyone to fasten their seat belts and he actually checked each and every passenger to ensure the belt was fastened.

Edited by Banana7

Posted on a thread in the Samui page re New Years Resolutions:

For the immediate future mine is to not crash at the badly-sited police stop at the bottom of the hill from Maenam to Naton which;

a) Prevents Naton-bound traffic achieving the correct speed to tackle the climb &

b  ) Doesn't allow traffic in the other direction to slow down safely after exiting the downward section.

Unless they move it 100m it will cause more accidents than it prevents.

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

What about the darkness hours its 21hrs and the total is 41 still plenty of drunken hours killing left to be done .

If only Thai police weren't afraid of the dark.  If only they would look up from their phones during the daylight hours.

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

What to say on such tragic news ? Perhaps some may claim it is a progress as it was "only" 41 dead, thanks to the campaign and not 60 or 70 victims ?

RIP to the victims and their families.

if the number 41 is correct ......RIP to the victims , but not to the families ...they are still alive .

16 hours ago, phetpeter said:

Buses are easy to check. breath test before they leave the terminal, that a no brainer, both drivers, private company buses and minibuses full stop and test at every checkpoint, even if it means testing them 10 times. Now what have we forgot? Oh! that's right, the cars...anyone driving a fortuner, or Toyota, Ford pick up next on the list for regular stops, as they seem to be the ones who's power output doesn't match the drivers abilities, plus every import car, and SUV. Next MINI drivers. and any vehicle which has been modified, or shows previous damage, or big repairs. Black smokers, fat tires. Hard shoulder riders. plus every single motorbiker, with glorious student sitting side saddle, (just for a change of scenery). All two strokers with flip flops. and any student wearing Tech college jacket!  In town local boobies to pull over all local fat boys riding undersized motorbikes, boys with swept back hair (because the crash helmet spends more time off than on) Old ladies and men coming from the market as its what the also done! and I never had to look when driving across back in the 60's. ( That the one which is the only time ever I had to put down a 60 yard skid mark and thank goodness I could also continue to steer! (My days with a Fortuner)) and what a beautiful straight road I could see for miles, pity I didn't have a baseball bat then! Now where are these policemen???

Easy on that bottle now!