Insect Control

akirasan

My wife and I live in a small village 1 hour out of Surin.  We live in a school house which we can use for as long as we want, rent free.  It's a typical raised old Thai style wooden house, wooden shutters etc.

While I don't mind living here, some nights the flying insects are almost too much to bear.  Because the walls have gaps in them (and one wall isn't closed in completely), they easily find their way into the house so there's no escaping them.

Because of this, and noise problems, I've been looking at buying some land and building a house in a quieter part of the village nearby.  What I'd like to know, for those who have built a house in Issan, do you still have problems with insects inside the house?  Or what do you do to control them?  

We live in a modern style wood house. Insects not a problem this winter but we do leave a large zapper, I've seen this type in restaurents, on over night when it is warmer. All the windows have mesh and the doors are usually closed at night. At the moment the doors are left wide open durng the day. Its only at night that I find insects a problem and that tends to around outside lighting. I've seen some farmers put large UV strip lights near wher their livestock stay overnight.

We leave windows (with fly screens) open all day so the house remains relatively cool. If at home leave the doors open too, sometimes leave doors open even if not home. Then when it starts to get dark we just close the doors. Might find one or two insects around, but the tennis racquet zapper things take care of them, or the lizards/spiders. 

Used to leave the outside light on, but now don't even do that as the insects and then lizards, frogs and snakes come running. Just leave the motion sensor spot light on instead. 

If I have to be outside at night I will just use a bit of mosquito repellent cream. Thinking of putting in some plants around the place that act as natural pesticides and see how they go. 

I reckon you should be able to renovate an old wooden house to make it noise and insect proof. Thinking about interior  Conwood or plaster board paneling. 

No, we don't have much problems with insects in Isaan, but we use mozzie nets and fans. 

I reckon you should be able to renovate an old wooden house to make it noise and insect proof. Thinking about interior  Conwood or plaster board paneling. 
No, we don't have much problems with insects in Isaan, but we use mozzie nets and fans. 

Noise proof!
Yeah, right. Good luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?

From personal experience of living in an Isaan village, the noise levels can be excessive, therefor very hard (impossible?) to block out, other than physically moving away from the source.
Obviously every circumstance/location is different but I would suggest my example is not that rare in Isaan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, cooked said:

Why?

To me, noise "proof" means no noise. 

Noise in the real world is generally defined as "unwanted sound".

No noise would, therefore, be unwanted sound above a person's hearing threshold .. and depends on the individual.

The solution to "no noise" is virtually impossible to achieve in residential buildings.

1 minute ago, klikster said:

To me, noise "proof" means no noise. 

Noise in the real world is generally defined as "unwanted sound".

No noise would, therefore, be unwanted sound above a person's hearing threshold .. and depends on the individual.

The solution to "no noise" is virtually impossible to achieve in residential buildings.

This is getting silly. 100% waterproof isn't the same as waterproof and noise proofed means investing in acoustic insulation in roofs, windows and walls.  

2 minutes ago, cooked said:

This is getting silly. 100% waterproof isn't the same as waterproof and noise proofed means investing in acoustic insulation in roofs, windows and walls.  

Before telling me how "silly" my post is"

1 - Perhaps you should talk about sound rather than water.

2 -  re: "noise proofed means investing in acoustic insulation in roofs, windows and walls", is a vague comment that in no way actually addresses a solution to reducing noise in a residence.

3 - But you are partly right. Your answer was indeed silly, especially the "acoustic insulation in windows".

13 minutes ago, klikster said:

Before telling me how "silly" my post is"

1 - Perhaps you should talk about sound rather than water.

2 -  re: "noise proofed means investing in acoustic insulation in roofs, windows and walls", is a vague comment that in no way actually addresses a solution to reducing noise in a residence.

3 - But you are partly right. Your answer was indeed silly, especially the "acoustic insulation in windows".

so windows can't be acoustically improved. I didn't know that.

Acoustically insulating a house reduces the noise inside it, how can you possibly disagree with that?

2 minutes ago, cooked said:

so windows can't be acoustically improved. I didn't know that.

Acoustically insulating a house reduces the noise inside it, how can you possibly disagree with that?

Acoustical improvement and "insulation in windows" can be miles apart, so I will not take your bait. Ditto on your following statement.

Archived