Thailand should recognise tourists’ driver’s licences, says poll

webfact

Thailand should recognise tourists’ driver’s licences, says poll

The Phuket News

1514946025_1-org.jpg

The poll overwhelmingly called for Thai police to recognise foreign driver’s licences.

PHUKET: A whopping 78% of respondents to an online poll have called for police and other officials who assist in enforcing traffic laws to recognise tourists’ driver’s licenses issued in their home countries.

The issue came to a head last month as Phuket entered its tourism peak season, when more tourists started landing on the island ahead of the region’s busiest time of the year.

The current situation of why police in Thailand do not recognise tourists driver’s licences is a long and winding road, and flies in the face of Thailand signing international agreements arranged through the United Nations.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/thailand-should-recognise-tourists-driver-licences-says-poll-65383.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-01-03

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years back, I was stopped twice in a week at one of the "road block checkpoints".  Both times I showed them my Arizona driver's license, which they looked at, handed back, and waved me on.  The funny part was, the license had been expired for almost a year! lol.  

But then I figured it might be good to have Thai license, so now I have both car and bike, along with the pink Thai ID card, so I'm good. lol

I thought you could officially drive half a year or 90 days on your own driving-license but after that you needed to get a Thai one (the law is similar in other countries). But now it seems that is not true in Phuket, It is crazy to ask tourists to get a Thai drivers license. For expats longer here then 90 days its perfectly normal and good according to international law. Its just that many expats are lazy to do so. I got both a Thai m/c license and car license and of course one from my home country. 

I live in the Jomtien area and if i go into Pattaya these days then there is a good chance of being pulled over in one of the ever increasing and seemingly farang targeted checkpoints, in fact despite being totally legal with everything, i now try to choose my route to avoid being scammed for a newly made up offense. Most tourists i assume will be had on this license issue and the Thai Police love it.

Thailand does recognize foreign driving licenses. But you are required to have an IDP to go with them. That's the law in the majority of countries today. 

If you are in the country for longer than a specified period of time (it varies from country to country,) you are then required to have a Thai driver's license. (Failure to do so in Japan will result in deportation!) Even in the US, if you reside in a state different from your license's originating state for a specified period of time (between 90-120 days depending upon the state,) you must get a local state license or face a traffic ticket.

Chiang Mai must lead the Kingdom in numbers of roadside license/helmet checks. There are 2-3 around the Moat almost every day. The MAJORITY of people being stopped are THAI, not farang... except on weekend mornings when there are more foreign tourists on rental bikes riding around the Moat. As a local farang, I generally get waved through without needing to stop.

Edited by FolkGuitar

53 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Thailand does recognise foreign driving licences....the problem for many tourists is that they don't carry the International driving permit alongside them.

....along with ignorance/inconsistency from the police and dereliction by unscrupulous hire companies.

Edited by evadgib

Regardless of whether Thailand accepts an international drivers or not, it is a MUST for any tourist or long stay Xpats to have an IDP as mentioned in one of the posts above, the International Driving Permit along with your country of residence drivers licence/motorcycle riders licence is required, especially to validate your travel insurance policy, i.e. if your policy covers you for scooter hire or motorcycle hire usually under 125cc and of course a helmet, hence the reason that too many tourists in accidents here and Bali to mention two, don't read the disclosure part of their travel insurance and end up with a hefty hospital bill, usually left to others through internet charities to pay.

Overseas tourists that come without an IDP leave themselves open, what's that old saying, "if its not on, its not on" and everyone needs cover.

Even though I have had my Thai licences for a car and motorbike for two years, I still renew my "back home" drivers and motorcycle licence because it is required when I return home, especially for travel insurance to cover the motor vehicle side of insurance back home, i.e. the waiver/excess payable. 

Edited by 4MyEgo

According to the AA you do need an IDP. However, I have been stopped driving on my UK licence several times and no questions asked, ever.

I was led to believe that an IDP is merely a translation into English, of your UK license. It costs about 30 quid at a Post Office, AA or RAC.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list

Edited by wgdanson

40 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Regardless of whether Thailand accepts an international drivers or not, it is a MUST for any tourist or long stay Xpats to have an IDP as mentioned in one of the posts above, the International Driving Permit along with your country of residence drivers licence/motorcycle riders licence is required, especially to validate your travel insurance policy,

No it's not. its only essential for any short term tourist here under 90 days to have an IDP.

It's essential to obtain a Thai Drivers License if you're here longer than 90 days. The IDP is meant to be a temporary measure only and most countries will only respect it out to 90 days. If you're driving on one after 2 years you're breaking the law. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I thought you could officially drive half a year or 90 days on your own driving-license but after that you needed to get a Thai one (the law is similar in other countries). But now it seems that is not true in Phuket, It is crazy to ask tourists to get a Thai drivers license. For expats longer here then 90 days its perfectly normal and good according to international law. Its just that many expats are lazy to do so. I got both a Thai m/c license and car license and of course one from my home country. 

It's not that most expats are too lazy to get it but it's very hard to go there cause they can't spea inlit. Same goes for the immigration.

10 minutes ago, Thian said:

It's not that most expats are too lazy to get it but it's very hard to go there cause they can't spea inlit. Same goes for the immigration.

Your in Thailand.. take a translator with you or be able to speak sufficient Thai to go through it. I remember the uproar in our country when they started providing goverment brochures in Turkish, Arabic ect. People were also saying should speak the language of the country your in. I have done the driving license myself and with translator (GF) both are not that hard to do. Just make sure you got the right documents. Because I have 2 licenses I have been through the process here around 6 times now in my 10 years here.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Regardless of whether Thailand accepts an international drivers or not, it is a MUST for any tourist or long stay Xpats to have an IDP as mentioned in one of the posts above, the International Driving Permit along with your country of residence drivers licence/motorcycle riders licence is required, especially to validate your travel insurance policy, i.e. if your policy covers you for scooter hire or motorcycle hire usually under 125cc and of course a helmet, hence the reason that too many tourists in accidents here and Bali to mention two, don't read the disclosure part of their travel insurance and end up with a hefty hospital bill, usually left to others through internet charities to pay.

Overseas tourists that come without an IDP leave themselves open, what's that old saying, "if its not on, its not on" and everyone needs cover.

Even though I have had my Thai licences for a car and motorbike for two years, I still renew my "back home" drivers and motorcycle licence because it is required when I return home, especially for travel insurance to cover the motor vehicle side of insurance back home, i.e. the waiver/excess payable. 

Don't agree, I rather thing lordblackader has it right

"

No it's not. its only essential for any short term tourist here under 90 days to have an IDP.

It's essential to obtain a Thai Drivers License if you're here longer than 90 days. The IDP is meant to be a temporary measure only and most countries will only respect it out to 90 days. If you're driving on one after 2 years you're breaking the law."

although I am not sure about the 2 year thing. As for renewing your home licence, no idea in the country where you come from but in the UK I have no problems with using a Thai licence and it would be illegal for me to continue with my UK licence as I live overseas. 

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Thailand does recognise foreign driving licences....the problem for many tourists is that they don't carry the International driving permit alongside them.

It's much cheaper to get a few tickets than to get an international DL.

18 minutes ago, wabothai said:

You're probably right. Not to mention the hassle factor of getting an international DL, particularly if, like me, you hold a UK licence and live in southern Europe. I've never bothered with the international DL myself, and always drive on my UK permit when in Thailand.

Not sure about other countries but the International Driving Permit from the UK is a joke.  A paper booklet with a handwritten expiry date.  No photo, just printed pages about vehicles etc.  What is the point of that??
Whenever I had shown it to the Thai police they pretend to take a flick through then waive me on.
A better system (permit with a photo for a start) would help the police out.

I've been driving in Thailand for 15 years. I've had a Thai licence for one year, a UK licence (which I renewed half way through) for the remainder of that time. I've used the UK licence to show Thai police and insurance claims, and never once had a problem.

i drove in thailand for 8 years on my australia lic always had my pass port on me never got a fine but now i stay here for 6 weeks at a time i now have a thai lic very easy to get i paid a thai lady in pattaya  200 baht did my eye test and paper work all done should have done it 10 years ago

Back before buying my 1st car here I hired from Budget in BKK on a regular bases to drive up here to Udon Thani. My Australian license was good enough for them and never a problem when stopped at a check point.

So where is the problem for tourists who are normally here on a 30 day "stamped in on arrival" basis?

AND as someone said "International Drivers License" is a joke!

Edited by bdenner

1 hour ago, wabothai said:

The root of the problem is that in Thailand a shop will rent you a bike without checking if you have a DL/IDP. Unlike most other countries I have experience of. And probably many people decide to rent only after they are here already, seeing how cheap and easy it is.

The real poll should have been "Should shops rent without checking?"

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here.  The USA accepts nearly all foreign drivers license's for 90 days I believe it is. There are a few countries that don't qualify however Thailand is not one of them.  Although I have a Florida drivers license I like to use my Thai license when I rent cars there, just for the fun of it.  Never have had a problem.  All the rental agencies have a big book with Photos and info on hundreds of license's from around the world. As a side note when I started coming to Thailand in 2009 the police always accepted my , at the time, California Drivers License.  I believe that the rules were changed a few years ago.

Neil

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

According to the AA you do need an IDP. However, I have been stopped driving on my UK licence several times and no questions asked, ever.

I was led to believe that an IDP is merely a translation into English, of your UK license. It costs about 30 quid at a Post Office, AA or RAC.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list

Costs £5.80 in post office

So as I understand it from this article, Thailand has signed on with agreements

organized by the UN to recognize many foreign countries drivers licences  but Thai

police decline to recognize these drivers licences so they can continue to collect

tea money from tourists.