Teen Monk gored by buffalo

geovalin

A 16-year-old Buddhist monk was gored to death by an angry buffalo yesterday while walking alone near his pagoda in Prey Veng province’s Mesang district. District police officer Chuon Chetra identified the victim as Venerable Seng Theoun, a monk from Wat Prey Khla in Prey Khla commune.

He said the victim was walking along a path in a rice field where a herd of buffaloes was eating grass at about 12.30pm yesterday. A male buffalo ran toward the victim and stabbed him in the chest with his horn many times, causing him to die at the scene, Mr Chetra added.

“According to witnesses, the victim tried to escape while the angry buffalo was attacking him but the buffalo ran after him and hit him, causing very serious injuries,” he said. “After the attack, villagers ran to rescue him but he had already died from his injuries.”

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5099871/monk-gored-buffalo/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 04/01

Poor boy. He was only doing good in this world and he has paid the price. At 16 he had his whole life ahead of him but now it's been taken for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

May he always be remembered and loved as he would have wished.

RIP young man .... you did good.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Totally misleading title and content.  The boy was not a monk.  One needs to be 20 years old (and male) to become a monk in Khmer Buddhist tradition.  He was a novice - not a monk.

Great Mr. Scherlock! Exactly what relevance does that have to the thing that happened to him. it doesn´t matter if he was a farmer or a son of a preacher man, right?

Sadly to hear sombody have to die that young, when all his life in front of him.

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:
1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Totally misleading title and content.  The boy was not a monk.  One needs to be 20 years old (and male) to become a monk in Khmer Buddhist tradition.  He was a novice - not a monk.

Great Mr. Scherlock! Exactly what relevance does that have to the thing that happened to him. it doesn´t matter if he was a farmer or a son of a preacher man, right?

Sadly to hear sombody have to die that young, when all his life in front of him.

You may think that accuracy in journalism is an unnecessary frippery.  Some of us don't.

Sad to lose a life. From a Buddhist viewpoint it is obvious that the Buffalo and he had past karma together which caused the incident. I hope the novice died without feeling anger or hatred towards the buffalo and thus not continuing the feud. 'Tat waen tat kam' as the thais would say... meaning to cut the karmic link and not have to prolong the cycle. May he have a good rebirth.

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

You may think that accuracy in journalism is an unnecessary frippery.  Some of us don't.

Oh dear! No, I don´t, but in this case it was absolutely not relevant. I guess you understand the tradgedy that happened to a 16 year old and his family and friends anyway.
BTW, maybe you don´t, regarding that you totally refrain from a comment on that.

Edited by Get Real

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:
14 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Oh dear! No, I don´t, but in this case it was absolutely not relevant. I guess you understand the tradgedy that happened to a 16 year old and his family and friends anyway.
BTW, maybe you don´t, regarding that you totally refrain from a comment on that.

Yes, it's very sad.

However, if the media can report wildly inaccurately then how can rational people form opinions about what is happening in the world?

The rise of fake news reports from the like of Fox News, Breitbart, PJ Media, &c., &c. lead to the election as President of the US of A of an orange, racist, sexist, moronic, self-obsessed buffoon.  Now that is a tra(d)gedy.  So of course accuracy in the media is important.

Most unusual behaviour, where I live I walk along side of them or among them quite often, they are normaly very docile and will even get up and move away if they are lying down on a foot path and you walk towards them, the mothers are protective of their young of course but they will allow you to stroke the young if you are quiet and calm, never heard of a buffalo attacking anyone. It could be that this particular buffalo had had a bad experience in the near past with this lad, most strange.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:53 PM, Oxx said:

Could have been a student monk?

Edit

Yes, a novice monk.

Edited by ravip