Trump rejects author's accusations, calls self 'stable genius'

rooster59

Trump rejects author's accusations, calls self 'stable genius'

By Steve Holland

800x800.jpg

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., August 2, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday rejected an author's accusations that he is mentally unfit for office and said his business career and election victory showed he is "a very stable genius."

Michael Wolff, who was granted unusually wide access to the White House during much of Trump's first year, has said in promoting his book that Trump is unfit for the presidency. He told BBC Radio in an interview broadcast on Saturday that his book is creating "the perception and the understanding that will finally end ... this presidency."

Trump battled back in a series of extraordinary morning posts on Twitter, which appeared to catch some in his inner circle off guard.

Trump said Democratic critics and the U.S. news media were bringing up the "old Ronald Reagan playbook and screaming mental stability and intelligence" since they have not been able to bring him down in other ways.

Reagan, a Republican who was the U.S. president from 1981-1989, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 1994 and died in 2004.

"Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart," said Trump, a former reality TV star and developer.

"I went from VERY successful businessman, to top T.V. Star ... to President of the United States (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius ... and a very stable genius at that!"

Trump, 71, sent the tweets from the presidential retreat at Camp David, Maryland, where he discussed a legislative agenda for the year with Republican congressional leaders and many Cabinet secretaries.

Wolff's book, "Fire and Fury - Inside the Trump White House," portrays Trump as unfocused, unprepared and petty while presiding over a chaotic White House.

Trump, answering questions from reporters at Camp David after the meeting, called Wolff a "fraud" and said the book is "a complete work of fiction."

"I think it's a disgrace," he said.

ACCESS QUESTION

Trump said he never granted Wolff an interview for the book and blamed former adviser Steve Bannon, who he called "Sloppy Steve," for granting Wolff access at the White House. Wolff has said he spoke to Trump but that the president may not have known he was being interviewed.

The tweets were another sign of Trump's frustration at what he views as unfair treatment by the news media of his presidency amid a federal investigation into whether he or his campaign aides colluded with Russia during the 2016 presidential campaign, in which he defeated Democrat Hillary Clinton.

White House Chief of Staff John Kelly told reporters at Camp David that he had not been aware of Trump's morning tweets. Kelly said Trump did not seem angry and on Friday night had watched a new movie, "The Greatest Showman" about legendary circus promoter P.T. Barnum, with the lawmakers.

Trump, asked about a New York Times report that his aides had pressured Attorney General Jeff Sessions not to recuse himself from the Russia investigation, said: "Everything I've done has been 100 percent proper."

Trump, who has often criticized Sessions of his performance as attorney general, said he nonetheless supports him. Sessions had not been invited to the weekend retreat.

Wolff's book has proved to be another shock to the system for Trump and his top aides, coming just as he starts his second year in office.

Wolff told NBC News on Friday that White House staff treated Trump like a child.

“The one description that everyone gave, everyone has in common — they all say he is like a child," Wolff said. "And what they mean by that, he has a need for immediate gratification. It’s all about him.

"This man does not read, does not listen. He’s like a pinball, just shooting off the sides."

Trump is to undergo the first physical examination of his presidency on Jan. 12. The exam was announced on Dec. 7 after questions arose about Trump's health when he slurred part of a speech announcing that the United States recognised Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

White House officials and Trump's high-profile supporters have launched an effort to raise doubts about Wolff's credibility. White House spokesman Sarah Sanders said earlier in the week that the book includes "mistake after mistake after mistake."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-07

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"a very stable genius."

Huh? In the case of Mr. Trump, that must mean that he´s the smartest horse in the box. What an achievement to be proud of.

Just hope he can stay in that box now, and eat som daily fiber. Good boy, good boy!

23 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"I went from VERY successful businessman, to top T.V. Star ... to President of the United States (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius ... and a very stable genius at that!"

That would be a great sense of irony, if Trump had great sense of humour.

Does Trump have sense of humour at all?

Trump completed his education at the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce, where he graduated with a BSc in Economics on 20 May 1968.... He did not graduate with any academic honours, thus he deludes himself and tries to delude others in suggesting that he was a top student. In short, he wasn't.

http://www.thedp.com/article/2017/02/trump-academics-at-wharton

Far from being a genius and certainly less than stable....... more a rich kid who grew up to be a bullying narcissist, used to getting his way by taking down others, with a grandiose sense of his own worth (the source of which is "under audit", thus the true figure remains undisclosed) and importance.

20 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Of course Donald J. Trump is a very smart man.  The problem is his detractors can't stand that fact. :smile:

I hate to state the obvious, but any person who is reduced to calling himself a "genius" ... clearly isn't.

12 minutes ago, CaptainZero said:

Trump is 71 and lives on a diet of McDonalds and Diet Coke.

Don't worry, he's going to do an excellent impression of a "Norwegian Blue" before his term is finished.

Excellent observation, thank you good Sir!

>quote< ... remarkable bird the Norwegian Blue, beautiful plumage, innit ...? >end quote<  & :cheesy:  

22 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

The mere fact that he feels the need to call himself a stable genius says enough about this immature non-genius

The mere fact that a sitting president feels he needs to comment on his own sanity says more than enough.

An interesting and somewhat long article...

Donald Trump’s Year of Living Dangerously - It’s worse than you think.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/02/donald-trump-foreign-policy-analysis-dangerous-216202

Because a year into his presidency, this is where we are: Trump’s national security team and his allies are engaged in a silent conspiracy of sorts to guide and constrain him.

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Of course Donald J. Trump is a very smart man.  The problem is his detractors can't stand that fact. :smile:

How do you define 'very smart' ?

Is it saying he would criminalize any woman who seeks an abortion?  or saying the US should work with the Russians to stop Russian online interference?  or saying Obama personally hacked his Trump Tower phones?  or saying the  meeting with Russians at Trump Tower was only about adoptions? or tearing out his first wife's hair while raping her (according to her sworn testimony in court)  or bragging about grabbing pussy, and coming on to women "like a bitch"?

or sneaking into mid-teen girls' dressing rooms while they're nude, to stare at them?

Boon Mee, I think we have differing opinions of 'very smart.'

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

I bet if we went through michael wolffs phone and his cal history it would include just about every democrat and enemy of trumps. so hardly credible. Next.

So, can't refute any of the claims directly (even Bannon hasn't denied anything written about him in the book) .....so attack the messenger.   I expect no better from Trump shielders.

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

The mere fact that a sitting president feels he needs to comment on his own sanity says more than enough.

It's even the worse, the White House officially commented on his sanity last week.

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I bet if we went through michael wolffs phone and his cal history it would include just about every democrat and enemy of trumps. so hardly credible.

Next.

You think something so that makes him not credible?

Sorry, not credible.

Anyone who doesn't recognize this man's mental incompetency is living in la-la land. Trump has been incredibly lucky in both winning the presidency and that he hasn't had to confront any major domestic or international crisis. When the stock market crashes, or some geopolitical crisis has to be responded to, you will all see how utterly unqualified he is to hold office.

When I was a boy, me and my buddies looked up to US presidents of our times, and took some inspiration. Some of us may have aspired to adopt some of his character qualities.

What do boys have to emulate about Trump?  His threats of lawsuits?  Him not reading books?  Lying every day?  Quick to anger and recrimination?   Bragging about his billions and his being 'a stable genius' ?

Sad times for boys growing up in the States.

note: I would also mention girls, but they have no role models in the US presidents dept.   Perhaps girls are supposed to look up to Kelly Ann Conway or Sarah H-Sanders. 

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Anyone who doesn't recognize this man's mental incompetency is living in la-la land. Trump has been incredibly lucky in both winning the presidency and that he hasn't had to confront any major domestic or international crisis. When the stock market crashes, or some geopolitical crisis has to be responded to, you will all see how utterly unqualified he is to hold office.

We already saw Donny John's feeble response to Puerto Rico's hurricane. The number of US citizens that died (estimated over 1,000) and the number of US Citizens that had to go without proper water and electricity for months is staggering. This ef'ing genius has no clue how to handle this situation. Instead of offering help, he demands PR pays back debt. I doubt he even thinks of Puerto Rico has any connection to the mainland USA.

No, no genius here. Just a reality TV president trying to hold his hair together and smile for the cameras. What a total joke.

Trump treats Puerto Rico like a foreign country

https://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/article/Trump-treats-Puerto-Rico-like-a-foreign-country-12460229.php

Edited by Silurian

5 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I bet if we went through michael wolffs phone and his cal history it would include just about every democrat and enemy of trumps. so hardly credible.

Next.

wouldn't be hard to find a list of his enemies,it is said that he doesn't have any friends, or as Oscar Wilde would have said, "All his enemies hate him and even his friends dislike him"

Rule of thumb that's true the vast majority of times. trump speaks -- it's a lie. trump speaks -- the opposite is closer to the truth. What did the USA do to deserve the punishment of a nutcase president? Don't answer that. Plenty. But still ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/06/politics/trump-genius-tweet-analysis/index.html

Trump's 'very stable genius' tweet shows he isn't

Edited by Jingthing