Killer elephant being hunted in five provinces

snoop1130

Killer elephant being hunted in five provinces

By Thanapat Kitjakoson 
The Nation

2cabe0897b376693ab15fa87b85f841e.jpeg

Dozens of local officials in five provinces are hunting a wandering wild male elephant that has killed four people, in order to chase it back into the forest.

People in Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Sa Kaew provinces have warned about the elephant but said he should be easy to spot because he has no tusk.

The elephant is thought to have strayed from the Ang Rue Nai wildlife sanctuary and intruded on people’s farms, damaging and eating crops and bananas in many areas from Soidao district, Chanthaburi, to Wangsomboon district, Sa Kaew. 

People have therefore been warned to be cautious when they tap their rubber trees at night-time and even when they are in and around their homes.

Manote Rattanatrai, an elephant look-out team chief at Khao Soidao wildlife sanctuary, said officials were quite confident the elephant was responsible for the series of intrusions into people’s farms.

Therefore, a team of 50 officials from several wildlife sanctuaries had been assigned by the Sa Kaew governor to look for him and chase him back deep into the forests.

The officials come from several wildlife sanctuaries, including Khao Soidao, Ang Rue Nai and Wang Somboon. Soldiers in those areas are also helping in the search.

Pitak Burana, village headman at Ban Klong Kai Tuen in Klong Hat, said he had already warned his villagers to alert for the animal and that it may be entering the areas.

Lieutenant Sompote Charanya-orn, ranger commander said that it was reported that the elephant had been spotted at a temple in Klong Hat district and was heading to Ban Khaopapueng village.

Therefore the hunt for the animal would be focused on those areas, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335829

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-1-9

Manote Rattanatrai, an elephant look-out team chief at Khao Soidao wildlife sanctuary, said officials were quite confident the elephant was responsible for the series of intrusions into people’s farms.

It`s the exact opposite. The people are intruding on it`s territory.

4 hours ago, nisakiman said:

What's with the 'Killer Elephant' headline, then? As far as I can make out, he's stolen some bananas and damaged some property.

Not exactly 'Killer', is it?

Did you happen to read beyond the Title? Like maybe the very next line?? " Dozens of local officials in five provinces are hunting a wandering wild male elephant that has killed four people, in order to chase it back into the forest."

"... elephant look-out team chief ..."

Now when I move back to Thailand, that's what I want to be, with a staff of 50 junior looker-outers looking out ... for me.  My eyesight isn't as good as it was but, come on, how hard is it to spot an elephant?  People could call me "boss of dangerous elephants" or "boss of big bodies".  (Something like Khun Nai chang antarai or Khun Nai kong toua yai.)

16 hours ago, Sig said:

Did you happen to read beyond the Title? Like maybe the very next line?? " Dozens of local officials in five provinces are hunting a wandering wild male elephant that has killed four people, in order to chase it back into the forest."

Oops! :)

Dunno how I managed it, but I missed that first line. Ho hum. I must be getting old and senile...