Lesson number One - this is the brake...

webfact

10 hours ago, jaywalker said:

I had my wife take driving lessons for 6 flippin' WEEKS in a manual shift car.

17 years later she still can't work a clutch.

My wife learned to drive in a stick shift Toyota pickup truck that didn't even have power steering.  Got her a stick-shift Honda Civic and years later a Nissan Axxex minivan with a stick.  She drove my Accura Legend and my 4WD pickup, both with stick.  She finally manage to screw up the transmission on the Axxess, and I think the Accura, by improper shifting.   So after maybe 15 years of driving, she still didn't have it right.  In fact, she parked the Accura one day and didn't set the brake right or put it in gear, or both.  Rolled down the driveway a bit and hit her Nissan broadside, totalling it. Her next car was automatic.  (When I called my insurance agent about the "accident" in the driveway, she was concerned.  We still chuckle about a 2-car collision between our vehicles in our own driveway with no one driving.)

When I was 16, we persuaded our Mom to buy a stick-shift 1969 Chevy Camaro (V8) so we could learn how to drive a stick.  For the next 20 years her cars were stick.  She said she had "more control", 555.  Go, granny, go.

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

You should never, ever use the left foot to brake in an automatic...........unless you are being sarcastic, in which case I apologise....:whistling:

I can't count how many time I have seen drivers, Taxi, Limo, Bus use the "Asian Two Step"  one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas, literally hundreds.  Not only Thailand, all over Asia.

19 hours ago, Thian said:

I guess that in Thailand nobody ever failed the driving exam, if they even have any at all.

My grandma failed 7 times in row for the exam in Holland, after that she stopped trying to get it. It costed her a small fortune though.

Driverlicense or not, the Thai all seem to know the unwritten rule that a motocy driver is less than a rat, they all will avoid soidogs but motobike drivers they even don't see it seems.

This week my wife has to go to work by taxi cause another driver hit the back of her car which is in repair now. She has to pay the taxi herself, his insurance won't cover a replacement car/transport.

Thailand is soo far behind the developed world. And my wife doesn't even dare to ask for a replacementcar or refund for the taxi. Well i just hope they fix it well, it's a nice new car and she's very carefull with it.

"Thailand is soo far behind the developed world."

Now, there is an understatement if I have ever heard one!!  :thumbsup:

On 10/01/2018 at 4:29 PM, Dmaxdan said:

I was being sarcastic.......and I have personally never owned an automatic car in my life, I just don't like them. But I have been told that some people in Thailand are taught to use both feet when driving an auto car. Two pedals, two feet, it just makes sense to them.

And what is wrong with left foot braking? 

I personally don't (although I can) but after 40 + years of manual transmission, right foot braking is a habit difficult to break. 

My Wife learned to drive at 15 - driving herself to school with her Mum sat in the car... 

She's never take a test but has held a licence for over 20 years. 

There is something very wrong with this picture. 

She (my Wife) is not actually a bad driver, most people in Thailand are not bad drivers - they have just not been taught to drive well, to predict the movement of others or to drive with consideration of others. 

The subject of this thread is simply catastrophic stupidity - We see it all the time with Foreigners coming to Thailand renting motorbikes. 

On 10/01/2018 at 11:30 AM, 01322521959 said:

Nothing will change. Never taught the basics. Bit of dosh chucked around sort out a license here. Pathetic, and will only get worse as more and more take to the roads. Mai pen lai, not a problem till someone dies.

25,000 people a year are dying and in the minds of Thai's it is still not a problem !

20 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

a stick-shift 1969 Chevy Camaro (V8)

Buy me a '69 Camaro and I'll drive it stick, automatic, or Flintstones style!

11 minutes ago, Artisi said:

And what is wrong with left foot braking? 

I personally don't (although I can) but after 40 + years of manual transmission, right foot braking is a habit difficult to break. 

I think the argument is that a person might accidentally hit gas and brake at the same time?  Whereas if you use the same foot for both, it's impossible (unless you're doing some kind of fancy heel-toe thing on a manual).

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

they have just not been taught to drive well, to predict the movement of others or to drive with consideration of others.

I don't understand this.  I learned to predict the movement of others and traffic by driving.  No one taught it to me (and I doubt it's something that can be learned by books, only experience).  So how do people not pick this up?  I mean, I know from my experience driving in the U.S. that it's common not to be able to do this-- to judge what other people will do, read traffic flow, or even watch what's going on more than 10 feet in front of their car (see: the people in heavy traffic who, when traffic ahead of them is slowing down for half a mile, don't see all the brake lights and instead zoom up behind the car in front of them and slam on the brakes, or the guy who once laid on the horn behind me because I slowed down... because traffic ahead of me was slowing to a crawl but apparently how dare I not rear-end them or something...), but still.  How can you drive every day and not start to get a feel for how other people (at least in your area) drive??  Hell, there were times I could look at someone in the lane next to me who hadn't made a move and I'd think, "They're going to change lanes in front of me, better leave space" and a second later, suddenly here they come...

On 1/10/2018 at 3:18 PM, toofarnorth said:

What about this then.  Just a couple of days ago a chap  up here told me he was looking to buy a second hand Sus. Swift . There was no spare wheel  , he asked why and was told it was an automatic.  SO !   " Will your wife drive it ? "    Yes he replied.

" Then she won't be strong enough to change a wheel "

Is there a hint of Thai logic in there somewhere ?

The top model doesn't have a spare tire - it comes with a pump and repair kit. I went and bought a space saver spare.

19 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

(It was an automatic); this is what happens when 1,000 baht gets you a driving licence.

Even if they pass the normal test it means nothing as it doesn't involve driving on real roads. I reckon there would be a 90% fail rate if western driving standard where applied. Would love to see them doing a reverse park back up a hill like I have to. B.astard tester...

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Even if they pass the normal test it means nothing as it doesn't involve driving on real roads. I reckon there would be a 90% fail rate if western driving standard where applied. Would love to see them doing a reverse park back up a hill like I have to. B.astard tester...

In UK you do not have to/ cannot  drive on motorways, but 5 minutes after passing you can drive alone at 70 mph.

Archived