PM orders check of high food and drink prices at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports

webfact

1 minute ago, quandow said:

I don't see swampy being any more expensive than other international airports. They're ALL price gouging thieves with captive audiences.

I agree,  but what I have not seen is a post to inform of a rental charged for a shop outlet at BKK airport--OR--to compare with a high street city center shop rental.  We all are aware of the rip off BUT why can a high street shop sell at normal prices.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

And looking good in what is supposed to be election year cannot be a bad thing for the General (oops, sorry, chief politician), particularly when he currently has no opposition.  His regular TV broadcasts and campaign trails around the country, often involving "gift" project announcements,  also ensure that he has at least several months electioneering under his belt than any of his potential rivals.

Buddy, I despise the junta as you well know, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. The prices were a rip off long before the junta and will remain a rip off long after. Who do you imagine is behind the junta...?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

My mate flew out to Sydney on Monday night, while I was talking to him on the mobile, he being at Phuket International, said, mate, 2 pieces of pizza 440 baht, an instant noodles, you know the one in the pack you open and throw in hot water, 150 baht, he said it was even more expensive that Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport.

So when my daughter fly's back next month, will make sure she has enough food to last her till she gets on the plane and home.

I do not eat at airports if I think the food is too expensive, taking into consideration they do have high rents, but not to the point of extortion, i.e. bottled water 40 baht, <deleted>, I can buy 12 bottles of Nestle for 49 baht, like someone said, water should be free or 10 baht the most as they don't allow you to take it through with you, worried someone will make a bomb out of it, had it ever occurred to the genius who came up with this, that there is plenty of water on the plane, der ! 

I suspect the concern  is that what may appear to be water is actually something else.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I used to always eat a Thai meal before I flew back to England, etc. My last bit of Thai food for a few weeks. Last time I paid 260 baht for a kra pow. It wasn't even good. Add to that a few pints in the bar before and you're looking at well over 1000 baht. Now I just pay to enter the lounge. it's about 1000 baht for 2 hours of unlimited food and booze with comfortable chairs and free wifi. The rest of the airport is simply not worth it. 

Can you say which lounge please ?

• Thanks 1

OK, now my question is has anyone got information how much a small shop outlet is charged at BKK airport   ??

Now compare this with the city center small outlet rental.  I mentioned this earlier ---any poster that can come up with rentals to compare----re-cap     city center small shop--and BKK airport small shop.

If we get info about this we can all then say----MEGA rip off

2 minutes ago, ginjag said:

OK, now my question is has anyone got information how much a small shop outlet is charged at BKK airport   ??

Now compare this with the city center small outlet rental.  I mentioned this earlier ---any poster that can come up with rentals to compare----re-cap     city center small shop--and BKK airport small shop.

We can all say that anyway, because it is.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ffats said:

usual shameful ripping off of foreigners..  

A little info for you.....

1. I am sure that I have spotted a few Thais at the airports too, from time to time.

2. All airports that I have been to, and that's a few, charge pretty sharp prices.

3.If you don't like it, don't buy it. A little pre planning will work a treat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ginjag said:

I think comparing rent costs is only one part of the equation, the airport has a captive audience, so that is probably more of a factor.

• Like 2

I admit to being conditioned to high airport prices.      In the USA,  i don't  even recall not paying a premium price for a trolley.

Once past security I know prices increase at the Thai airports but I think they still   fortunately remain   below the extortionate threshold.

I have more issues with the poor selection of food vendors and the quality than the prices. I travel a lot and every airport vendor has inflated prices, it's just something to deal with.

I truly hate DMK for international for so many reasons, but if I'm there an need to grab something to eat, the selection is horrible. Swampy is only slightly better. 

Why does't the braintrust that runs the AOT fly down to Singapore and spend some time in Changi Airport - the best in the world!! They could learn a thing or hundred from a competently run airport.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

another excellent initiative by the good general.....their prices are criminal.

The Burger King there advertises 'Combos' but no prices - they price each item individually   Hamburger, Coke, Fries, so a 250 but combo can cost over 400baht!!!  -  I wrote the corporate office and sent a screen shot of their menu and copy of my receipt  -  still waiting to hear back from them  -  They are a franchise, they are obligated to adhere from the Corporation pricing.

59 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Udon airport, question-why isn't there a 7-11  shop  ??     because whoever owns the small food outlets must have objected.   These small outlets  sell small Lay  at double price also small coke at 30 baht.

Ask them all why----answer  because this is the airport.....     

Even the 7-11 at BKK charge 10% more on most items,  because this is the airport.

No excuse about rents being high,  city center 7-11  pay more rent---FACT

I liked the little bakery in the departure lounge in Udon Aprt, reasonable priced -  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shady86 said:

Consumers can decide which shop to patronize but water should be give free or sold at reasonable price because it cannot be brought in.

Carry an empty bottle through security and then refill it at one of the drinking water fountains outside of most toilets.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I guess the PM must have solved every other problem in Thailand, if he now has time to get personally involved in controlling the price of pad thai and green tea at the airport.

Thanks. Your post is both funny and spot on.

This guy has more than a few things in common with Mad Donald, and one of them is their mind-boggling (given their positions) inability to grasp the meaning of the word 'priorities'. Another is a massive ego. The connection between the two problems is obvious.

47 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

A little info for you.....

1. I am sure that I have spotted a few Thais at the airports too, from time to time.

2. All airports that I have been to, and that's a few, charge pretty sharp prices.

3.If you don't like it, don't buy it. A little pre planning will work a treat.

Also, 7/11 have big stores at both airports and their prices seem to be the same as all their outlets for most items.

9 hours ago, Dave67 said:

All airport food is expensive it's not like you can go anywhere else to eat

But unlike most international airports Suvarnabhumi has a huge food hall at one end of the 1st Floor where all the normal Thai fare is on offer at only slightly more than outside prices. Also, at the other end, if you go outside and walk, at the end is a staff restaurant, where u can eat cheaply inside or outside in a pleasant quiet open garden area. If u want beer u can bring it from Family Mart upstairs or 7/11 downstairs.

Similarly, at Don Muang there is also a good cheap Thai food hall, albeit much smaller, hidden behind 7/11.

20 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It's the Thai airways lounge. They have a few. Sorry, it's 1800 baht. I got a reduced price cos of my credit card. 

I stopped using Thai lounges because it is now available only for around 2.5 hours before the flight. 

My status is back to silver and I use 5500 points to get entry. 

Was great when I was able to crash there for a fair amount of time. 

Plus get fed and wined. 

And stretch out. 

And then it was half decent food. 

Times change. 

1 hour ago, jmacken306 said:

They took the banana away from me,

Geeze, pass me the tissues. Forget the cardboard cut-out . . . this one's top banana, this week.

Edited by Ossy
clarity
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

The Burger King there advertises 'Combos' but no prices - they price each item individually   Hamburger, Coke, Fries, so a 250 but combo can cost over 400baht!!!  -  I wrote the corporate office and sent a screen shot of their menu and copy of my receipt  -  still waiting to hear back from them  -  They are a franchise, they are obligated to adhere from the Corporation pricing.

Not at airports they are not. Same all over the world. Mind you, in my country the cheapest airport food is McD.

4 hours ago, Andyfez said:

While they are there, check out the ripoff prices at King Power.

Far as I care, they can charge double the price, as no one is forced to shop at King Power.

Food is different as on airside the food is overpriced, and if someone is hungry they don't have a choice of expensive vs cheaper.

3 hours ago, 1337markus said:

We all know the high prices and we all know about the monopoly. So no idea why he needs to investigate the known issues. Save time go and fix the problem!!. Swampy lacks free cold water dispensers, last trip out I bought a bottle from King Power ( yes should be 10 baht they charge 30 baht), I expected the rip off, but then they must have the boarding pass to record the sale. Brought back to mind John McEnroe's famous saying " are you <deleted> serious" boarding pass for a bottle of water!

Swampy does have free water dispensers. I use them every time I fly.