Airport Food Too Pricey? Don’t Eat There: Tourism Minister

webfact

19 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Yes, it is too expensive, and no I don't eat there. I smuggle sandwiches through to departure hidden in my underpants.

I bet that adds aroma & character, to your home-made sarnies, you must save a fortune on herbs or nam-pla ! :biggrin:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Trite and completely oblivious to the issue.

These tourism ministers are all alike.

The real problem is the silly rent prices charged by the airports.

Or by shopping mall or centre owners.

20 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Yes, it is too expensive, and no I don't eat there. I smuggle sandwiches through to departure hidden in my underpants.

at 7 11 i buy a foot long hot dog and do the same, smuggle in my underwear

I thought the bottled water issue was resolved last year? 

7-11 and family mart prices in there seem to be normal. Never tried the food court but it is pretty easy to find and there are other places to eat cheaply as well.

Not sure about the comments on getting a meal on arrival- most people are headed to their hotels. 

His comments do come across as very arrogant but that may be down to translation (although I doubt it!)

Edited by Psimbo

20 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what a stupid a hole;

try arriving after sleeping on a 10 hour flight and then wading thru immigration here, that a guy with his attitude will surely mess up and then be confronted with these gouging prices on an empty stomach;

this guy represents the best in leadership that thailand can come up with ?

On a 10 hour flight you would have amble time to eat.

normally 2 meals plus snacks, if you can’t be bothered to wake up you only have yourself to blame.

we all know airports around the world are expensive.

if you have waited 10 hours for food, I’m sure another hour wont kill you.

44 minutes ago, Tea123 said:

On a 10 hour flight you would have amble time to eat.

normally 2 meals plus snacks, if you can’t be bothered to wake up you only have yourself to blame.

we all know airports around the world are expensive.

if you have waited 10 hours for food, I’m sure another hour wont kill you.

Not sure about the lifestyle of the members, talking for myself, I feel the airlines are kidding with me, they think I'm stupid? 

They give me 15cm*15cm space to place a so-called meal, plastic ! fork,spoon and knifes (do they think under such condition we may start kill each other?) Nevertheless, a plastic spoon can kill you too. My Question, if i can get normal 'Glass' like every Human drinks from, or  Metal Fork, she smile to me and said 'safety', I've problems with my knees cause there isn't enough space. If I ring the bell, cause, I want some service, my request is delayed and refereed for '15' min. later they serve all.  Nope this isn't something you call it service, nor I found to mood to eat something under such conditions. So no more (air)travel for me anymore. Except the company pay for Business. 

The problem with with high prices on the airport are automatically solved too.

22 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what a stupid a hole;

try arriving after sleeping on a 10 hour flight and then wading thru immigration here, that a guy with his attitude will surely mess up and then be confronted with these gouging prices on an empty stomach;

Better than the usual words of soon it will be cheaper or elect me and I will make changes to make it cheaper ?

at least he is honest saying nothing is going to change and food will go up. 555

Another PhD grad from the Trump University School of Problem Solving.

Food too expensive?  Don't eat.

Problem with Jet Skis on Pattaya Beach?  Drain the bay.

Messicans running across the border?  Build a wall.

Come on people, don't make this harder than it is.  #Sorted!

22 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what a stupid a hole;

I pack a couple of protein bars and snickers. Light, small, and keeps you going until you get to your hotel.

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 3:10 PM, blubb said:

Yes, behave like a good guest. Never forget we are the guest here.     

If you are a guest in my house, I don't charge you for the use of the toilet, so I can buy a new car!

Guests, my @$$!

On 1/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, webfact said:

BANGKOK — The new top tourism official had some straight talk for anyone unhappy about airport food prices: Don’t eat at the airport.

Good advice; arriving 3 hours before your flight at the airport, skipping very expensive airplane food (budget airlines, say 3 hours flight), add to that 4 hours from/to the airport (origin and destination)=  and you're looking at 10 hours without food! Best diet ever! :ph34r:

Maybe time to pack some sandwiches... :smile: 

On 11/01/2018 at 3:48 PM, tonray said:

It also comes down to how much rent the airport is charging the restaurants there...my guess is that it is pretty high compared to outside venues. Somebody is raking it in......and likely a connection to those who manage the airport...hmm....who might that be ?

You would need to go back to when the original contracts were signed which as the airport was opened in 2006 would take it back to the TRT era of Thaksin.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:44 AM, Bluespunk said:

Trite and completely oblivious to the issue.

These tourism ministers are all alike.

Except when there is a delay in your flight.after you have been waiting the regulated 3 hours for your flight.

Oh such arrogance.  He is basically saying don't eat there.  OK.  I would love to see a boycott by every tourist and traveler for one week of all the eating establishments in the airport.  Let's see how he would react to that. 

As for more affordable eats, the Magic Food court down stairs is a fine place and very reasonable.  Many of the staff and local Thais eat there.