When foreigner husbands will get a Thai ID and passport as the EU treat Thai citizens ?

Non-Immigrant Visa  “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. 

A holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year.  Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

1. Eligibility

1.1 Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting an application).

1.2 Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence.

1.4 Having the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where the application is submitted.

1.5 Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, the third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14  B.E. 2535.

1.6 Employment in Thailand is prohibited.

2. Required Documents

- Passport with validity of not less than 18 months.

- 3 copies of completed visa application forms.

- 3 passport-sized photos (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past six

months.

- A personal data form.

- A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht.

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required.

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa.  A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarized by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

5.1  Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry.

5.2  At the end of the 90-day stay, the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand.  The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

5.3  Foreigner may report to the competent authority by post and should provide the following:

- A report form (Tor Mor 47).

- A copy of passport pages showing the foreigner’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp.  

-  A copy of the previous receipt of the acknowledgment .

What does need a spouse of an EU citizen need to settle in Europe? I do not think that they need more than a passport 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Kopitiam

Thailand, neither other 3rd world countries asked or can influence European laws, but Europe is not a zone of racism and xenophoby neither a zone that needs others t scam them! European laws are democratic, Humanitarian, fair, yes each country have its own immigration policy and this policy can show how is democratic and honest is the country

Asking a bunch of paper and money from foreigner husbands staying in Thailand is not a power as you think otherwise you won't be sunk in the world bank debts!

is just taking advantage or a social phobia turned into politics 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The Non-O-A Visa is based on retirement.  The qualifications for an extension based on marriage are also easier - 40K/mo or 400K in the bank.  You are also allowed to work on a Non-O or annual-extension based on Marriage.  A single-entry to start this process has no financials needed, at most Thai consulates around the world.

But, yes, they keep us on a short-leash - even if married to a Thai.  Don't hold your breath that this will ever change.  It may even be made more difficult to stay in the future (that's not a prediction, just a possibility).

Your only options to avoid the annual assessment as to whether you can stay with your family here, are Permanent Residency or Citizenship - neither of which is easy.  Citizenship is generally considered the better choice if you are Married to a Thai, since it is not something that can vanish if you are gone a year, or forget to get a re-entry permit (yes, really) - and it is less-expensive - and only somewhat more difficult to get.

Yes, i got your point, but this visa is given a base on marriage or money? I never met this combination in any other country, by the way, not all people they have 400K, and in somehow they tell them to run to near embassies, this is a humiliation, someone's wife have decent job and ear 100K what does she need from a husband if she's not serious in relation 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LionofMedaCM said:

Yes, i got your point, but this visa is given a base on marriage or money? I never met this combination in any other country, by the way, not all people they have 400K, and in somehow they tell them to run to near embassies, this is a humiliation, someone's wife have decent job and ear 100K what does she need from a husband if she's not serious in relation 

If you are a male foreigner married to a Thai lady, it is based on Marriage + Money.  A female foreigner married to a Thai man does not need to show money.   Call them "old fashioned" if you want, but they are not interested in men here without their own money.

Bringing a foreign spouse into many countries is a PITA / expensive / lawyers, etc - not making excuses.  If you want a "family friendly" deal, the Philippines will do almost anything to keep a family together - completely different philosophy, and they treat you with kindness and respect at their immigration offices in all cases.

As far as heading to an embassy - this could be for 3 reasons I can think of:

• The foreign husband does not have the funds to support a marriage-based annual-extension, so he gets a Non-O Multiple-Entry Non-O, and does "visa runs" like a tourist.
  • The foreign husband *does* have the funds to support a marriage-based annual-extension, but his immigration office is corrupt, and wants a thick envelope of money (laundered via agent) to give him an extension, and/or he refuses to put up with the dog-and-pony show necessary to get an extension, so he gets a Non-O Multiple-Entry Non-O, and does "visa runs" like a tourist.
  • The foreign husband needs to get an initial Non-O Single-Entry Visa, then enter on this, before he can apply for a marriage-based annual-extension (other "conversion" process can be done in-country, at some locations - but the Visa is often easier)
Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LionofMedaCM said:

What does need a spouse of an EU citizen need to settle in Europe? I do not think that they need more than a passport 

Your opinion on this is not supported by the facts. As an example, the requirements to get a "family of settled person" visa in the UK is summarized in https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/visas-family-and-friends/getting-a-visa-for-your-spouse-or-partner-to-live-in-the-uk/. Some notes:

• you usually need to be able to show a minimum annual income of £18,600 (over 800,000 baht) more if your spouse has kids who are not UK citizens;
  • you must convincingly prove that you are in a genuine relationship, and if you married a bar girl or someone much younger you are likely to be rejected;
  • it is almost sure you and your spouse will need to be interviewed (interrogated is a more accurate term) before your application is granted;
  • you are advised to get professional assistance in preparing the application, as any appeal of a denied application will take 6-9 months.
  • Like 2

Your opinion on this is not supported by the facts. As an example, the requirements to get a "family of settled person" visa in the UK is summarized in https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/visas-family-and-friends/getting-a-visa-for-your-spouse-or-partner-to-live-in-the-uk/. Some notes:
  • you usually need to be able to show a minimum annual income of £18,600 (over 800,000 baht) more if your spouse has kids who are not UK citizens;
  • you must convincingly prove that you are in a genuine relationship, and if you married a bar girl or someone much younger you are likely to be rejected;
  • it is almost sure you and your spouse will need to be interviewed (interrogated is a more accurate term) before your application is granted;
  • you are advised to get professional assistance in preparing the application, as any appeal of a denied application will take 6-9 months.

Your suggestion that if you are married to someone much younger than you, you will be rejected for a UK Settlement visa (or any other UK visa for that matter) is complete nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Your suggestion that if you are married to someone much younger than you, you will be rejected for a UK Settlement visa (or any other UK visa for that matter) is complete nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

From the UK case I can understand because they reaaly care about family, but Thailand they ask you to have money just a kind of copying other laws without benifits, for me I don't mind if a country like the UK will ask a load of conditions because until today most of the europeans work in the UK , there is a lot of job , a lot of money there , in vfeif there are many things your get in return when you fullfil the requirments, in Thailand you fullfil the requirments and you need to do more and more every day for nothing in exchange 

7 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Maybe you should have added, that both are impossible to get if you are a retiree supporting a family. As they will ask you to show proof of 3 years of work and income in Thailand.

Big point, typical form of scripting law rules out retirees that support Thai families.

• Thanks 1

Have you any idea what you are speaking about ?

A EU passport (sic) for a thai wife ?

A residence and workpermit in a EU country for a thai wife ?

You think the marriage paper will do the magic ?

Your ignorance takes my breath away.

• Like 1

Some people here they won't get my point, some I guess Thais or Thailand lovers 

i will try to explain : I mean a married men, stable, with kids why he needs every year to run to the immigration and show many proofs , then getting a stamp of under consideration , reporting every 90 days, TM30 , all these trips for what?? and every year the same story again, when I said passport or ID I don't mean in the european way, I mean just comply with the  Thai law or what they call it law of cpourse having a Thai ID or passport doesn't have any benifit as freedom of travel or making loan, credit cards...forget .. all that I mean stop the humilation and trips, usless trips also, all the fact is just to be headaches free The Thai visa is required to comply with law but not to have any benifit is like you are doing something you actually don't need , but when a Thai spouse get a permit of stay in EU that's already a big step of advantages 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LionofMedaCM said:

Kopitiam, you can always leave: this word it's often used by dictatorship regimes and its people, people like Thais can call them opportunistic as they profit double edges, I personally have no bloody problem, my situation is more than stable even I do have the Thai ID! but I'm here for others that have nothing and are victims of the policy that you cheer up accept of leave, have you ever see any Asian sleeping in the street in EU, USA, UK, NZ,AU...ETC? of course no, why? 

It’s not too hard for non Thais to get the ID card, I have one, but it does not have the same standing as the one issued to Thais.

2 hours ago, LionofMedaCM said:

i will try to explain : I mean a married men, stable, with kids why he needs every year to run to the immigration and show many proofs , then getting a stamp of under consideration , reporting every 90 days, TM30 , all these trips for what?? and every year the same story again, when I said passport or ID I don't mean in the european way, I mean just comply with the  Thai law or what they call it law of cpourse having a Thai ID or passport doesn't have any benifit as freedom of travel or making loan, credit cards...forget .. all that I mean stop the humilation and trips, usless trips also, all the fact is just to be headaches free The Thai visa is required to comply with law but not to have any benifit is like you are doing something you actually don't need , but when a Thai spouse get a permit of stay in EU that's already a big step of advantages 

You are right, absolutely.

Ironically, at both my Extension of stay applications they suggested I should apply for an extension based of retirement since I had more than sufficient funds. I answered on both occasions that their policy was "the right visa for the right reason", and that the only reason I stayed hare was to support my family. 

Well, the interesting thing here is how they treat western foreign females that marry Thai guys....a whole load different, given the red carpet treatment from what I gather, ID cards and all. Happy to be stood corrected if wrong....but don't think so.

1 minute ago, Sir Dude said:

Well, the interesting thing here is how they treat western foreign females that marry Thai guys....a whole load different, given the red carpet treatment from what I gather, ID cards and all. Happy to be stood corrected if wrong....but don't think so.

No you are not wrong.

A sexist policy towards Thai women who want to live with their foreign husband.

So easy for a Thai man to live with his foreign wife.

4 hours ago, LionofMedaCM said:

You already have a Thai ID.  Why are you still questioning the Thai immigration policy?  TV is the wrong place to seek changes in Thai immigration policy.  No one here can change that.  You can cry until the cow comes home.  Write to the top man himself instead.

17 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

They mistakenly beleive that a vast majority of the farang men coming to settle here are low class rejects or poor retirees from the western society who come to marry poor low educated village girls.

• Thanks 1