Tourist taken to hospital after being electrocuted at Bali Hai port, Pattaya

webfact

Tourist taken to hospital after being electrocuted at Bali Hai port, Pattaya

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Sophon reported that a male tourist was electrocuted after getting off from a Koh Larn ferry on Friday evening.

They said that the tourist was wet and was leaning up against the metal pole of a tent awning when an electrical current of unknown original floored him.

Krerkchai Chantawong, 25, in charge of looking after the area for Pattaya Council called in the medics and hospital personnel who worked frantically at the scene to saved the man who was not named.

Sophon reported that he cheated death but a comment following their Facebook post indicated the man had in fact died later.

Sophon said there was a large crowd in the "Area A" as medics arrived. The man was taken to Muang Pattaya Hospital.

The media called on the authorities to ensure the safety of the area and avoid a repeat of the incident.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-16

safety first, what a tragic country this is, not even safe to touch a lamp post, I will guess that the light fitting were there used to be a bulb is just hanging there with live wires exposed, but hey - it was because he was wet

The only thing that is safe to do in Thailand is get on the plane on your way home because they are forced to meet international safety standards otherwise nobody flies in or out of the country 

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

the tourist was wet and was leaning up against the metal pole of a tent awning when an electrical current of unknown original floored him

The media called on the authorities to ensure the safety of the area and avoid a repeat of the incident.

Electrical current from unknown [origin?]   ...yes, I've been told that Thai electricity is different so they'll probably never know/look where it came from.

47 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Electrical current from unknown [origin?]   ...yes, I've been told that Thai electricity is different so they'll probably never know/look where it came from.

Nope and it's impossible that it came from a wire, you know those things you see dangling about the sidewalks often.

But as long as they don't find the one responsible for this it won't change, never.

It's the same in our nice moobaan, open wires everywhere with current on them..during rain they even explode...i reported it twice but nothing is done to fix it. I hope the insurance/family sends them a huge bill for this accident which should have never happened.

9 minutes ago, Thian said:

I hope the insurance/family sends them a huge bill for this accident which should have never happened.

Send who a bill. It was an act of God. You do believe in God, don't you?

More likely, several 'who' will be sending the family a bill for the response and putting things back to status quo. 

12 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Send who a bill. It was an act of God. You do believe in God, don't you?

More likely, several 'who' will be sending the family a bill for the response and putting things back to status quo. 

Few months ago an old Italian man got injured at pattaya beachroad when a palmtree fell on his head. His family sued the pattaya city but i don't know how it ended.

Bali Hai pier is a very touristical place, it's a big shame this happened on that spot but can happen anywhere in thailand easy. The government thinks they deserve quality tourists when they can easy get electrocuted while waiting for the ferry or walking on the sidewalk.

Wake up Thailand, take your responsabilities.

Pattaya...  The trees along the beach side of Beach Road are festooned with yellow lights, a number of which are damaged or missing. Taking a closer look at a busted one, reveals that these consist of six LEDs, and several components which enable each of them to be powered directly from 230V ac mains. Live components are therefore exposed.  Besides this hazard, the empty lamp sockets also have live exposed contacts.  Sooner or later someone's going to get zapped.

How sad. Many instances in Thailand over the years - even in our moobaan someone got shocked by leaning against a lamp pool near our swimming pool. Thai management totally puzzled and suggested the person shocked was ‘sick’ already with a heart problem maybe.  Absolutely no sense of safety or responsibility.  

23 minutes ago, Bangna Betty said:

How sad. Many instances in Thailand over the years - even in our moobaan someone got shocked by leaning against a lamp pool near our swimming pool. Thai management totally puzzled and suggested the person shocked was ‘sick’ already with a heart problem maybe.  Absolutely no sense of safety or responsibility.  

In our moobaan they made the connector-boxes from plastic which is deteriorated in a year and cracks open so kids/dogs/water can all touch the wires.

I was looking for 12V gardenlights but couldn't even find them. Also our doorbell is on 220V without groundwire, so better not ring it when it's raining.

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

Thailectricity ...!

6 hours ago, smedly said:

again - after the fact

About time Thai journalists learned how to report accidents.

ELECTROCUTED means dead from electric shock.

ELECTRIC SHOCK is a jolt, but not fatal.  All too common in Thailand where life-threatening wiring, non-earthed appliances is the norm.

With plastic plumbing all over the place, it's becoming difficult to find where to earth anything, as power outlets, power boards, are all two-wire.

It's not only the highways which are a threat to life!

4 hours ago, masuk said:

About time Thai journalists learned how to report accidents.

ELECTROCUTED means dead from electric shock.

ELECTRIC SHOCK is a jolt, but not fatal.  All too common in Thailand where life-threatening wiring, non-earthed appliances is the norm.

With plastic plumbing all over the place, it's becoming difficult to find where to earth anything, as power outlets, power boards, are all two-wire.

It's not only the highways which are a threat to life!

ELCB's can be used with or without an earth (ground). They can save lives - could easily have saved this man's life for a few Baht.

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

ELCB's can be used with or without an earth (ground). They can save lives - could easily have saved this man's life for a few Baht.

An ELCB/RCD save lives, yes, but not if it's disabled after the first two "nuisance" trips.

17 hours ago, RichCor said:

Yes, this would be the special Thai electricity that is of no need of ground wiring!

2 hours ago, wanderluster said:

just guessing but as the tourist was taken to muang pattaya hospital and not bangkok pattaya hospital, maybe the tourist was thai, or was assumed not to have money.

Or he was not living... there seems to be some confusion over that.

The nearest place would have been City hospital, but not sure which would have been fastest to get to and accept A &E.

On 16/01/2018 at 6:48 PM, Thian said:

In our moobaan they made the connector-boxes from plastic which is deteriorated in a year and cracks open so kids/dogs/water can all touch the wires.

I was looking for 12V gardenlights but couldn't even find them. Also our doorbell is on 220V without groundwire, so better not ring it when it's raining.

I too was surprised by the lack of extra low voltage (12V) accessories such as garden lights and external LED’s etc. While ELV is still fed by a 220V feed  a large variety have external, remote transformers or can be fed from a single 12V source in something like a MSB or a mechanically and UV protected connection box.

In a harsh environment such as Thailand’s hot, humid weather with salt water environments in coastal regions ELV provides another level of protection for fault conditions.

I’m unsure of what reason they would don’t use these methods. Maybe cost? Obviously availability. But it would actually be cheaper in the case of materials to run 12V LV cable over a large area than the bigger CSA 220V TPS.

Most likely just down to education and the ability to think of better, cheaper and different processes.

An external 220V accessory that is no doubt of a very low or non existent IP rating feed by a LV feed that people are regularly in contact with is very worrying! More than likely wouldn’t be a death hazard but would definitely give you a shock, especially in damp conditions with no shoes!