Video: More terrible driving as bus and taxi square up on the roads of Bangkok!

webfact

Video: More terrible driving as bus and taxi square up on the roads of Bangkok!

8pm.jpg

Picture: Tnews

Dash cam footage posted to Facebook showed a Bangkok bus refuse to give way to a taxi sideswiping the cab not once but twice.

And it was all done directly in front of a policeman.

The route 115 bus was on its way from Siam Park to Sathorn in the capital, said TNews whose headline screamed: "Who's bigger? War on the roads in front of the police".

The footage posted by Theerapat Sudsamrit was viewed well over a million times.

They described it as yet more terrible driving.

Source: Tnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-16

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Unbelievable, how did that jerk ever get to be a bus driver?

The taxi driver was trying to overtake at a bus stop where passengers were about to get out.  Get annoyed with the policeman if that's what you want to do.

Can't see anything wrong from the bus driver, except that he should have stayed in the left lane all the time instead of changing the lane abruptly at a bus stop.

Taxi driver trying to undertake on the left, should have slowed down allow the bus halt at the bus stop and overtake him on the right soon after, yet he kept trying to sneak through

You could now say, the bus driver was to wait for the taxi to finish the undertaking, yet the bus was already very far to the left leaving not enough space for the taxi to undercut

all happening in the flick of an eyelid

And whilst waiting for absolutely nothing the taxi driver could have avoided further damage by setting back his car by maybe just one meter.

All this happens when the brains haven't been turned on yet in the early mornings of a new day

Edited by crazygreg44

The Bus drivers are a law unto themselves...

On Sukhumvit road I commonly see busses in the 3rd (right most lane), then cutting across the 2nd into the 1st lane to pick up or drop off passengers, in doing so they careless have blocked 2 lanes and created gridlock in the 3rd as vehicles try and get around them.... the busses then pull out back into the 2nd or 3rd lane.

In short - a number of times some poorly trained and careless bus drivers take up 3 lanes of traffic.

The real reason this happens: there are no proper bus-stop, everyone else also stops on the inside (1st) lane and the busses have to get past them. 

It's Chaos, its lawless, no one cares - the traffic issues in Bangkok are caused by a multitude of reasons, the primary one being that one one pays any attention to the laws, common decency or even remotely considers the inconvenience to others when doing what they want. 

In this case: The taxi (which should not have been in the bus lane) continues moving forwards in queueing traffic, while the bus driver wanted to pull over and stop. But, the bus was in the 2nd & 3rd lane, splitting the lanes and blocking 2 lanes of traffic, before abruptly and somewhat aggressively cutting across traffic to the bus stop. 

IMO: Bus 100% at fault for the cause of the accident. The taxi driver perhaps complicit for being in the wrong place, but that doesn't clear the bus driver for casing an impact (deliberately ?)

56 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Unbelievable, how did that jerk ever get to be a bus driver?

Easy I guess.

I haven't taken a bus in years, but did so about 20 minutes ago. The driver was speeding along Petchaburi in the third lane. Several cars blew their horns at him as he pulled out to third lane. He used his whole upper body to change gears and his head went well below the dashboard sometimes.

I was going to film but had to use both hands to hold on.

I now remember why I stopped taking buses, even for short journeys such as the one I just did.

2 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

No indication that the left lane is a bus lane..... why do you speculate??

As far as I know there are no bus lanes in Bangkok except for the BRT system. They gave up years ago as the only ones who didn't use the bus lanes were buses.

1 minute ago, petedk said:

As far as I know there are no bus lanes in Bangkok except for the BRT system. They gave up years ago as the only ones who didn't use the bus lanes were buses.

44 seconds into the video there is a white sign - Busses, bikes, tuk-tuks, samlors (and a couple of others keep left)... 

You may be correct that this is not a bus lane and there are no signs which indicate cars cannot enter this lane. 

However, the road markings *(short dashed lines) indicate a bus lane if this is consistent with other areas of Bangkok. 

For example, the bus lane which runs along Ratchaprarob Rd towards central world (to Petchaburi rd) and in front of Central World. There are also 'time dependent' bus lanes which run down area's of Petchaburi Rd....  (I've been stopped by the BiB on both of them while driving a car years ago). 

They are not marked very clearly and as with most of BKK roads you have to know where you can and cannot drive as signage is poor. Learning to drive Bangkok's roads was a baptism of fire !

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Open your eyes, there's a sign post saying buses , tuk tuk motorbikes keep left before the incident

This doesn't make it a bus lane

32 minutes ago, petedk said:

I know at least one, ratchaprarop, north of petchaburi, going from north to south. In the evening all the lanes are south to north, except one lane which is north to south, but this is a bus lane, police stopped me there once and explained it to me, but didn't want to fine me for it, just a warning.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe went to the same school as the jerk that became the taxi driver.

"Get the f*** outta the bus lane!!!"

Many times taxi's occupy the busstop at the malls so they are forced to stop on the 2nd or 3rd lane to let passengers out. Very dangerous.

I can understand that busdrivers hate taxidrivers

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Bus drivers are a law unto themselves...

On Sukhumvit road I commonly see busses in the 3rd (right most lane), then cutting across the 2nd into the 1st lane to pick up or drop off passengers, in doing so they careless have blocked 2 lanes and created gridlock in the 3rd as vehicles try and get around them.... the busses then pull out back into the 2nd or 3rd lane.

In short - a number of times some poorly trained and careless bus drivers take up 3 lanes of traffic.

The real reason this happens: there are no proper bus-stop, everyone else also stops on the inside (1st) lane and the busses have to get past them. 

It's Chaos, its lawless, no one cares - the traffic issues in Bangkok are caused by a multitude of reasons, the primary one being that one one pays any attention to the laws, common decency or even remotely considers the inconvenience to others when doing what they want. 

In this case: The taxi (which should not have been in the bus lane) continues moving forwards in queueing traffic, while the bus driver wanted to pull over and stop. But, the bus was in the 2nd & 3rd lane, splitting the lanes and blocking 2 lanes of traffic, before abruptly and somewhat aggressively cutting across traffic to the bus stop. 

IMO: Bus 100% at fault for the cause of the accident. The taxi driver perhaps complicit for being in the wrong place, but that doesn't clear the bus driver for casing an impact (deliberately ?)

Short conclusion,.... it's everybody's fault, because they dared to make each others' lose face in disgrace......:cheesy::cheesy:

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe went to the same school as the jerk that became the taxi driver.

"Get the f*** outta the bus lane!!!"

Bus lane?  This is Thailand.  You really expect anyone to abide by any lane restrictions no matter what they are.  No point expecting people to drive by the rules.  Why should they? Nobody else does including the numerous drunken policemen.  Better to just embrace the chaos!

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Open your eyes, there's a sign post saying buses , tuk tuk motorbikes keep left before the incident

There is a sign for bus stops only, it is not a dedicated bus lane, all cars can use the lane. Buses in Bangkok are known to be aggressive at cutting through traffic. The bus driver is clearly at fault, taxi was already beside the bus (middle part of the bus) when the bus veered left. Bus driver hit his turn signal when the taxi was already beside the bus. Those who thinks the taxi driver was over taking when cars are clearly going only 20-30km/hr with traffic is silly.

The last part when the bus intentionally hit the taxi again goes to show the driver is an a hole and has anger issues.

11 minutes ago, mike324 said:

There is a sign for bus stops only, it is not a dedicated bus lane, all cars can use the lane. Buses in Bangkok are known to be aggressive at cutting through traffic. The bus driver is clearly at fault, taxi was already beside the bus (middle part of the bus) when the bus veered left. Bus driver hit his turn signal when the taxi was already beside the bus. Those who thinks the taxi driver was over taking when cars are clearly going only 20-30km/hr with traffic is silly.

The last part when the bus intentionally hit the taxi again goes to show the driver is an a hole and has anger issues.

+1 - thats pretty much the way I saw the incident too...  

... That bus driver really shouldn't be driving any vehicle on the roads least of all a public bus which has obviously beefed up his sense of entitlement on the roads. 

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

Can't see anything wrong from the bus driver, except that he should have stayed in the left lane all the time instead of changing the lane abruptly at a bus stop.

Taxi driver trying to undertake on the left, should have slowed down allow the bus halt at the bus stop and overtake him on the right soon after, yet he kept trying to sneak through

You could now say, the bus driver was to wait for the taxi to finish the undertaking, yet the bus was already very far to the left leaving not enough space for the taxi to undercut

all happening in the flick of an eyelid

And whilst waiting for absolutely nothing the taxi driver could have avoided further damage by setting back his car by maybe just one meter.

All this happens when the brains haven't been turned on yet in the early mornings of a new day

What brains?

Yup the bus driver was a little careless but the taxi driver was an absolute a hole! b:post-4641-1156693976:

It does not make any difference the taxi drivers are just as bad as the bus drivers, they both chop and change lanes without any care. A taxi will cut from lane 3 straight to lane 1 to pick up a fare and he does not care wwho he runs off the road, the same as the buses and vans do

It looks to me as though the bus was in the wrong lane but that is normal. The rules say that buses, vehicles carrying more than 7 passengers, or trucks over 1600 Kg and motorbikes are to keep to the left lane. But that is just the law in practice the rule is, make it work and don’t hit anyone. 

The bus did what busses do and the taxi driver should have anticipated it and stopped. 

The sign just advises specific vehicles to keep left but doesn’t forbid use of the left lane to other vehicles. The white line is what indicates a bus lane following the. Traffic direction, (it would be yellow if against the flow) but since other vehicles are using that lane and BUS or Rot prajam tang (written in Thai of course) is not painted on the road it is probably historic.  

What I love about that clip is it shows that no one knows how to drive. You have motorbikes pulling out into lanes that have cars in them already, buses in the wrong lane a policeman who couldn't give a damn about an accident he has just seen. 

Was there any damage to the bus. How would you be able to tell.

15 hours ago, mike324 said:

I don't think he hit the car again on purpose. I think he was incapable of working out he needed to back up his bus a touch and straighten up. 2 things at once isn't easy.