we have created a generation of zombies

opalred

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

It would change if for some reason people were able to live beyond what they have been able to up till now.

What are you even asking this second question for?  Do you want to die?  The point in trying to change our maximum lifespan would be to try to live longer, duh!

Wait until you reach 90, then you will see if you really wish to go on for another 20 years...

My extended family is full of elderlies (2 over 100, 1 closing on 100 and a whole bunch closing on 90).

Guess what...none of them would want another 20 years, not even 5 years.

They are not poor, they haven't lost their mind, they just have had enough and have no prospects in life.

Even worse, they have started burying members of the following generation (sons, nephews and nieces...) who were not so "lucky"...

Edited by Brunolem

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I always prefer to use Socrates as an example as most people are confident he actually existed.

Died age 71 in 399 BC, not of old age but executed.

I'm 62 now, would be happy to make 65.

As far as I can see life after 70 isn't worth living (well I haven't met anyone older that that I envied).

We should meet sometime as I am 73 and still have many things I would like to do before I die. Perhaps you may not envy me but I still enjoy life to the best of my ability.

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Wait until you reach 90, then you will see if you really wish to go on for another 20 years...

My extended family is full of elderlies (2 over 100, 1 closing on 100 and a whole bunch closing on 90).

Guess what...none of them would want another 20 years, not even 5 years.

They are not poor, they haven't lost their mind, they just have add enough and have no prospects in life.

Even worse, they have started burying members of the following generation (sons, nephews and nieces...) who were not so "lucky"...

I am sure there are plenty of people who stop wanting to live, it's not as if there are a shortage of them at any given age, and perhaps everyone has enough in the end, but it is also a fact that there those who seek more, cryogenics, the search for the elixir of life, Highlander, Etc.

12 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I am sure there are plenty of people who stop wanting to live, it's not as if there are a shortage of them at any given age, and perhaps everyone has enough in the end, but it is also a fact that there those who seek more, cryogenics, the search for the elixir of life, Highlander, Etc.

Yeah, but they are all looking for longer full healthy active lives in ever young bodies.

Not another 50 years of Zimmer frames, incontinence pants, sexual dysfunction, diabetes and cancer treatments.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The point is: do you personally know anyone who has reached 90 and who is willing to go for 20 more years?

And by the way the elixir and Highlander have one thing in common: not eternal life, but rather eternal youth!

When I will see professional athletes in their 50s and 60s, maybe I will change my mind.

Right now, what we are offered is eternal old age!

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Like a child, trying to work out if Moses really existed!  What the hell?

Moses may have existed, or not...impossible to prove either way...but he or anyone else of his generation would have been unlikely to live a very long life...

I think people should be living shorter, but more fulfilled lives.  I think a lot of people live a long time, but they do nothing with their lives.

I like the old film 'Logan's run'.  Seems a good idea to have people 'go' at about 50.  If we knew we only had a set time to live, we might not waste to much of our time on smart phone games, social media and sitting in front of the TV watching bad films.  

Seriously, I think they should legalise euthanasia.. when you have had enough you are allowed to die when you want.. in a nice place, with your family.. without having to go on for years on end in pain and degenerating into a vegetable.  

PS.. for you poster saying Moses lived a long time.... no he did not.. if he existed (which is unlikely), they people back then where thick as 2 short planks and probably basic counting was not easy for them.... I doubt he had a birth certificate anyway... and most of the things in the bible are made up crazy stories by religious nutters.  

Edited by jak2002003

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

We should meet sometime as I am 73 and still have many things I would like to do before I die. Perhaps you may not envy me but I still enjoy life to the best of my ability.

At 73, my mother was travelling the world.

Now, at 88, she can barely travel the street in front of her home!

And she is not disabled or seriously ill...it is just that after 80, each year counts double, then triple, then...

11 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I think people should be living shorter, but more fulfilled lives.  I think a lot of people live a long time, but they do nothing with their lives.

How true!

First, billions of people live a pretty miserable life, just trying to make ends meet, one day at a time...

Then countless others live like robots (metro, boulot, dodo in French = subway, work and sleep)...they never take the time to think...as a matter of fact, they always complain that they don't have time for anything...which does not include watching football on TV or tweeting!

I use to think that a giant observer looking at us from above would see something similar to what we see when we look at ants colonies...busy, certainly...intelligent, probably...wise, certainly not...

Edited by Brunolem

42 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The point is: do you personally know anyone who has reached 90 and who is willing to go for 20 more years?

And by the way the elixir and Highlander have one thing in common: not eternal life, but rather eternal youth!

When I will see professional athletes in their 50s and 60s, maybe I will change my mind.

Right now, what we are offered is eternal old age!

Yeah sure, Sean Connery was really youthful in Highlander!

44 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yeah, but they are all looking for longer full healthy active lives in ever young bodies.

Not another 50 years of Zimmer frames, incontinence pants, sexual dysfunction, diabetes and cancer treatments.

They are actually linked, if our lifespan was longer then we would expect to see our health retained for longer as well.

It's possible to enjoy old life after 70. My dad lived until 92 and enjoyed fishing and walking with his dog until a few weeks before he passed away. But he did not drink alcohol much and lived more healthy than the barstool people in Pattaya. So its possible . It will be my goal as well .

3 hours ago, balo said:

It's possible to enjoy old life after 70. My dad lived until 92 and enjoyed fishing and walking with his dog until a few weeks before he passed away. But he did not drink alcohol much and lived more healthy than the barstool people in Pattaya. So its possible . It will be my goal as well .

And mine too.

9 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Just reading that I'm off to blow out my brains........If  i can find them?:w00t:

9 hours ago, Brunolem said:

At 73, my mother was travelling the world.

Now, at 88, she can barely travel the street in front of her home!

And she is not disabled or seriously ill...it is just that after 80, each year counts double, then triple, then...

Shes a  wimp, at 90 my Mother is  still driving just fine despite the devastation of my Dad dying 3  years ago at 87.

Cleans her  own house and takes  care of herself, skype  with her everyday and she   e mails me everyday to let me know she's  ok. She  flew out to Thailand when she was 88 though I did fly her Business Class and rightly so.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:12 PM, amvet said:

Always amazed how people with no knowledge of history think others are as ill informed as themselves. 

The first antiperspirant, which thwarts both sweat-production and bacterial growth, was called Everdry and launched in 1903.  When did women start shaving underarms and legs?  Do you know?  Penicillin has saved between 80 and 200 million lives. 

And  the  motor  car has probably  killed as  many!

10 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Shes a  wimp, at 90 my Mother is  still driving just fine despite the devastation of my Dad dying 3  years ago at 87.

Cleans her  own house and takes  care of herself, skype  with her everyday and she   e mails me everyday to let me know she's  ok. She  flew out to Thailand when she was 88 though I did fly her Business Class and rightly so.

Sounds pretty impressive, until you realize that what you say fits the description of the daily life of many elderlies...flying in business class not included...

Now, if you told me that, twice a week, she goes to the golf club play nine holes, or to the yoga center for a training session...I would be impressed...

If you told me that, twice a week, she meets with three friends of her age to play bridge...I would be impressed...

If you told me that she is gardening, mowing the grass, pruning the trees...I would be impressed...

If you told me that she has enrolled in a university program for elderlies, to study something she has a special interest for...I would be impressed...

This all may seem preposterous, but is actually very normal for people up to their late seventies, much less so for people in their eighties or nineties.

My point was to say that there is, in a vast majority of cases, a sharp decline once people reach their eighties, even though that doesn't mean they become vegetables, just that they have to slow down considerably.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Sounds pretty impressive, until you realize that what you say fits the description of the daily life of many elderlies...flying in business class not included...

Now, if you told me that, twice a week, she goes to the golf club play nine holes, or to the yoga center for a training session...I would be impressed...

If you told me that, twice a week, she meets with three friends of her age to play bridge...I would be impressed...

If you told me that she is gardening, mowing the grass, pruning the trees...I would be impressed...

If you told me that she has enrolled in a university program for elderlies, to study something she has a special interest for...I would be impressed...

This all may seem preposterous, but is actually very normal for people up to their late seventies, much less so for people in their eighties or nineties.

My point was to say that there is, in a vast majority of cases, a sharp decline once people reach their eighties, even though that doesn't mean they become vegetables, just that they have to slow down considerably.

Ermmmm.....she  is  gardening almost daily  in the  spring/summer autumn , goes  to the local church every Sunday ( Atheist)  for the meeting, conversation and holds a  job every Sunday at Llanerchaeron House  from 10 -4pm owned by the national trust as  a  guide, is  that ok? she doesnt do golf or the uni, she cant mow the grass as she likes  it  long ie 4  inches so has  a  man come to do that, if  it was  short she'd  probably do it.

Shes 5  miles from the nearest town and helps  out her elderly (79) neighbour  getting her  shopping and her  other neighbour 93  with his, I think theyre having it away (  kidding  again)

She vacuums  herself every 3  days and  dusts mainly because she always  liked a clean tidy  house.

She does 25  press ups  on one hand  every day( nah just  kidding) she cheats and  uses   fingers  only same  as  Bruce  lee (  kidding even more)

On 1/23/2018 at 12:30 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Like a child, trying to work out if Moses really existed!  What the hell?

We can only guess that as you brought him up and claimed he lived to 120 that you believe he existed and that he lived to that age.

Most people I know would doubt he lived that long, or that he lived at all.   

43 minutes ago, seancbk said:

We can only guess that as you brought him up and claimed he lived to 120 that you believe he existed and that he lived to that age.

Its a story, in the story he lives until he is 120.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, Brunolem said:

Certainly, but faster and easier are not everything...what about better?

For example, nowadays cars conceived by computer look all the same...boring!

Weren't hand designed cars from the 50s and 60s much nicer?

More generally, why is it that the same persons who become rich thanks to technology like so much to spend their money on antiquities, on old cars, on shoes and clothes made by hand and so on?

Isn't that contradictory, or is it maybe that these same people are fully aware of the low quality of today's products made by machines?

Can't even fix a new car yourself, and they are cr*p, designed to be dumped in a few years. Identical except for the badge.

At least when one got hit front or rear back in the "old" days, one didn't have to pay large to replace the useless plastic covers. I could even bend them back into shape myself.

Oh well, plastic cars for plastic people in a plastic world, yuch.

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

Was Jesus really born by a questionable woman called Maria? Evolution doesn't exist...