we have created a generation of zombies

opalred

10 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Call me sceptical, but having 1,200 friends seems a lot...at least from a "mathematical" point of view.

I am not talking about acquaintances here, but real friends, people with whom you share more than a superficial relationship.

Let say that you make one new friend per week, with a two week break per year for good measure.

After 10 years of intensive friendship making, you still have "only" 500 friends.

So, it takes about 24 years to make 1,200 friends...

But that's not all, because during and after all this time, you have to cultivate all these relationships, something that requires quite an amount of time.

Let say that you have 8 hours of free time per day and that you dedicate all of it to keeping in touch with all your friends...well that would leave only 12 minutes per month for each one, not much to go into any depth...about the time I spent writing this high quality post.

You are taking the term friends (Facebook) to literally, friends means contacts, acquaintances etc. 

Years ago I had one of those teledex things next to the phone, it had maybe 2,000 phone numbers in it, family, friends, acquaintances, tradesmen, doctor, pretty much everyone I had ever met. The particular Teledex I owned had the words "My Friends " on the front. I didnt actually have 2,000 friends.

medium_52024.jpg

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this is part of the human evolution,   from early childhood kids don't have to think for themselves anymore as it's all done using a calculator, PC, Notebook or ipad. The brain is not made to function at the capacity which enables development of it's senses.  This coupled with lack of any field experience or general knowledge is part of an evolution process that I believe is creating a human race that will not know how to do any basic task such as change a flat tyre on a car or how to mix a bucket of cement.  It is proven that all this daily computer use and lack of hands on experience is making kids that cannot communicate with family or others around them.

25 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You are taking the term friends (Facebook) to literally, friends means contacts, acquaintances etc. 

Years ago I had one of those teledex things next to the phone, it had maybe 2,000 phone numbers in it, family, friends, acquaintances, tradesmen, doctor, pretty much everyone I had ever met. The particular Teledex I owned had the words "My Friends " on the front. I didnt actually have 2,000 friends.

medium_52024.jpg

You are right, but the member I was quoting insisted that these 1,200 people were real friends, not virtual friends that he had never really met...

So far the older people on here have done the same as every generation before them. Complain about the younger generation and their ways. Its funny to see that even at Socrates his time it was the same.  

Its more the inflexibility of the older generation who are set in their ways then the bad ways of the newer generation. I'm quite sure that any of them posting here would have been complained about by the generations that went before them. 

Funny to see how this is of all times.

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I believe this is part of the human evolution,   from early childhood kids don't have to think for themselves anymore as it's all done using a calculator, PC, Notebook or ipad. The brain is not made to function at the capacity which enables development of it's senses.  This coupled with lack of any field experience or general knowledge is part of an evolution process that I believe is creating a human race that will not know how to do any basic task such as change a flat tyre on a car or how to mix a bucket of cement.  It is proven that all this daily computer use and lack of hands on experience is making kids that cannot communicate with family or others around them.

If kids of today want a ham sandwich or soda drink they just fire a text off to mom in the kitchen. Its streets ahead of the old days where you verbally communicated and exchanged useless small talk to get stuff done.

20 minutes ago, maxpower said:

If kids of today want a ham sandwich or soda drink they just fire a text off to mom in the kitchen. Its streets ahead of the old days where you verbally communicated and exchanged useless small talk to get stuff done.

I was expecting an important package from the post office.  They texted me it was on the way.  I had to walk the dog so I did that and was on the next soi when the doorbell rang.  It also rings in my smart phone and I told the postman I would be there in a minute and went home and paid him for the package.  My motion detectors let me know if anyone is around my home and the smoke and water detectors also show up on my phone.  I do all this without looking at the phone because I have an assistant in the phone that works through a small ear bud in my ear.  

I took a photo of the contents of the package and texted it to my wife who noted the design flaws and sent a photo the the lady who made it, who started working on an improved prototype.  About 2 billion smart phones have been sold and the only ones who don't like them are a few odd fellows on Thai Visa.  

8 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

You must be stark raving mad.Perhaps you should watch The Manchurian Candidate.

I think that's what people said when the first pacemaker was invented.  Or artificial heart.  Do you live in a cave?

18 minutes ago, amvet said:

I was expecting an important package from the post office.  They texted me it was on the way.  I had to walk the dog so I did that and was on the next soi when the doorbell rang.  It also rings in my smart phone and I told the postman I would be there in a minute and went home and paid him for the package.  My motion detectors let me know if anyone is around my home and the smoke and water detectors also show up on my phone.  I do all this without looking at the phone because I have an assistant in the phone that works through a small ear bud in my ear.  

I took a photo of the contents of the package and texted it to my wife who noted the design flaws and sent a photo the the lady who made it, who started working on an improved prototype.  About 2 billion smart phones have been sold and the only ones who don't like them are a few odd fellows on Thai Visa.  

Obviously it was not possible to receive packages before the advent of the smartphone.

Having said that, the smartphone was not created in order to be colonized by gadget apps, no more than television was created in order to be colonized by reality shows.

It was called "smart" because it was supposed to give people access to an almost unlimited area of knowledge, via the global web.

But the fact is that users spend much more time tweeting and playing with gadget apps, than browsing, say Wikipedia or National Geographic website.

They use their smartphone in the same way that they use their television, and that's not for cultural enrichment.

Below is a video of a man who does not know that knives were invented.  He reminds me of people who are afraid of smart phones.  A smart phone is a tool.  Not good or bad just a tool.  You can be like the man in the video below and ignore new tools that would make your life easier or smash your head on coconuts.  Smart phones don't hurt people.  People hurt people.  Every new invention went through the same initial phase.  My example above where I didn't have to spend unproductive time waiting for a package is typical.  I get a lot more done since I have a smart phone.  So does my doctor and almost everyone in the modern world.  Or you can be like the guy below with the coconuts.

1 hour ago, amvet said:

I was expecting an important package from the post office.  They texted me it was on the way. <snip>

You still had to show up at your door when the postal guy decided to show up at your door. I have a PO Box and I pick up important mailings when I choose to pick them up after I have an online tracking notice that it has arrived at the regional postal facility prior to the notice that it is in the box.

Edited by JLCrab

6 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

You still had to show up at your door when the postal guy decided to show up at your door. I have a PO Box and I pick up important mailings when I choose to pick them up after I have an online tracking notice that it has arrived at the regional postal facility prior to the notice that it is in the box.

JL,

Just curious how that works with signed for stuff ? Does the postal worker sign for it ? I don't have any problems and almost always get all of my post but its something to consider if things change.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

JL,

Just curious how that works with signed for stuff ? Does the postal worker sign for it ? I don't have any problems and almost always get all of my post but its something to consider if things change.

They put a pink post card notice in the box and I then sign for anything at the pick-up window.

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

I've done it both ways.  Round trip to the post office takes me an hour.  Delivery to my door takes a minute.  On line tracking does not tell you when it is coming it's plus or minus 3 days.  But you knew that didn't you.  If you make it COD they call to let you know they are coming. 

+/- 3 days? -- how about down to the minute:

September 11, 2017 
14:11:01
LAK SI MAIL CENTER Dispatch
September 12, 2017 
14:40:01
XYZ MAIL CENTER Container Received  
September 12, 2017 
15:06:23
XYZ MAIL CENTER Items Into Container  
September 12, 2017 
15:27:04
XYZ MAIL CENTER Dispatch  
September 13, 2017 
10:28:22
XYZ Out for Delivery  
September 13, 2017 
09:00-11:59
XYZ Delivery Status P.O. Box (Issue Notification)

4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

+/- 3 days? -- how about down to the minute:

September 11, 2017 
14:11:01
LAK SI MAIL CENTER Dispatch
September 12, 2017 
14:40:01
XYZ MAIL CENTER Container Received  
September 12, 2017 
15:06:23
XYZ MAIL CENTER Items Into Container  
September 12, 2017 
15:27:04
XYZ MAIL CENTER Dispatch  
September 13, 2017 
10:28:22
XYZ Out for Delivery  
September 13, 2017 
09:00-11:59
XYZ Delivery Status P.O. Box (Issue Notification)

Out for delivery is plus or minus 3 days in my case.  Sometimes 2 weeks.  In any event after I figure out it is at the post office it takes me an hour round trip. So what do you want? One hour or one minute.  Most of my stuff I get from Kerry because they always call and come on time.  I don't know if they would hold it or not.  I've never been inefficient  enough to try.  Life is much easier with a cell phone that's why a couple of billion people (minus 6 on Thai Visa) use them daily.

That's OK -- I just do not like anyone telling me when I have to be at my home at their convenience. However if one of the delivery guys gets impatient and starts a fire on your doorstep, your smoke detector will alert you wherever you are.

14 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

That's OK -- I just do not like anyone telling me when I have to be at my home at their convenience. However if one of the delivery guys gets impatient and starts a fire on your doorstep, your smoke detector will alert you wherever you are.

I know what you mean but I get too much stuff to be going to the PO every time something comes.  I buy a lot of my food online and computer stuff and have a couple of businesses. 

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Call me sceptical, but having 1,200 friends seems a lot...at least from a "mathematical" point of view.

I am not talking about acquaintances here, but real friends, people with whom you share more than a superficial relationship.

Let say that you make one new friend per week, with a two week break per year for good measure.

After 10 years of intensive friendship making, you still have "only" 500 friends.

So, it takes about 24 years to make 1,200 friends...

But that's not all, because during and after all this time, you have to cultivate all these relationships, something that requires quite an amount of time.

Let say that you have 8 hours of free time per day and that you dedicate all of it to keeping in touch with all your friends...well that would leave only 12 minutes per month for each one, not much to go into any depth...about the time I spent writing this high quality post.

Or how about you live and work in a city for 20+ years and aside from business functions where you often see the same people (and hence they become friends), you also go out socially 5 nights a week and on any given night you are likely to see upwards of 50 people that you know by name.  Plus you always meet new people who've arrived to live and work there.

I lived in Hong Kong for 35 years, I'm still connected via Facebook and Instagram with 8 people I first met when I was 6 years old.   I spent 7 years at boarding school and I'm still in contact with a large number of my ex school mates.  My sister went to a nearby girls school, and I'm still connected to quite a few of the girls I became friends with there.   I've worked for investment banks and other large multinationals, so I've had countless colleagues over the years, most of whom I'm still in contact with.    I also worked in the F&B industry for a while, so made a lot of friends that way.

But mostly it's from going out a lot, seeing the same people in bars and clubs every night for years and becoming very close friends with everyone.  

It's only been during my 10 years here that I've not made many friends, simply because people here are either not staying or are frankly not the type of people I want to form long term friendships with.

I also know a lot of people I'd call acquaintances, but I don't add them as friends on FB, either because I've not known them for years, or I just don't see them enough or do enough stuff together with them for them to be called 'friends'.

Of all the people you used to consider your 'real' friends, going right back to when you were a young child, how many are you still in contact with?   

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:
8 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Implanted GPS would be useful, and how about a language translator.

And how about replacing the brain with a few computer chips, so we wouldn't have to learn anything anymore?

People need to learn some things, but perhaps simply learning to operate the technology is enough in some cases.    What are the chances these days that someone is going to need to calculate a percentage difference or work out how to split a bill between a group of friends, when everyone has a device on them that does it with 100% accuracy.   Why not (if we are able) augment our memories with computer chips.  

Enhancing humans with technology is an exciting prospect.   One which I hope I live to see.  My biggest hope is we find a way to download human consciousness into a computer and can then be immortal in a virtual environment.    None of the restrictions of aging, or of the physical world.   You and your environment would have infinite options.  How amazing would that be!!

13 minutes ago, amvet said:

I know what you mean but I get too much stuff to be going to the PO every time something comes.  I buy a lot of my food online and computer stuff and have a couple of businesses. 

Well OK but my life doesn't involve a lot of stuff.

18 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Of all the people you used to consider your 'real' friends, going right back to when you were a young child, how many are you still in contact with?   

From childhood, that is until I finished high school...zero!

From later on in life, I would say a dozen...and honestly I could never manage close relationships with hundreds of people, nor would I want to.

Friends are nice, but there is also family, and then there is personal free time for sport, reading or whatever...

Days only have 24 hours...

13 minutes ago, seancbk said:

People need to learn some things, but perhaps simply learning to operate the technology is enough in some cases.    What are the chances these days that someone is going to need to calculate a percentage difference or work out how to split a bill between a group of friends, when everyone has a device on them that does it with 100% accuracy.   Why not (if we are able) augment our memories with computer chips.  

Enhancing humans with technology is an exciting prospect.   One which I hope I live to see.  My biggest hope is we find a way to download human consciousness into a computer and can then be immortal in a virtual environment.    None of the restrictions of aging, or of the physical world.   You and your environment would have infinite options.  How amazing would that be!!

From what we can already see, there is very little chance that things will turn the way you describe.

Governments will make sure of that!

And there is no escaping them, because they work hand in hand with the big corporations, especially those involved in electronics.

Already some Western countries are turning into police states...the 5 eyes...

They read everything you write, hear everything you say and watch everything you do...how comforting!

To them, all this technology is a mean to control the population, not to give it more freedom.

We are well on our way to a future made of a mixture of 1984, for the socio-political side, Running Man, for the entertainment, and Terminator, for the technology.

Personally, I'd rather not see it, and I would not even take the risk of betting on a better outcome...

19 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

From what we can already see, there is very little chance that things will turn the way you describe.

Governments will make sure of that!

And there is no escaping them, because they work hand in hand with the big corporations, especially those involved in electronics.

They read everything you write, hear everything you say and watch everything you do...how comforting!

To them, all this technology is a mean to control the population, not to give it more freedom.

We are well on our way to a future made of a mixture of 1984, for the socio-political side, Running Man, for the entertainment, and Terminator, for the technology.

Personally, I'd rather not see it, and I would not even take the risk of betting on a better outcome...

Social media profiling is growing at an alarming rate. A young person starting out on social media should consider carefully what they post because their future might depend on it. Employment agencies and insurance companies already probe online activity on a regular basis.

25 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Social media profiling is growing at an alarming rate. A young person starting out on social media should consider carefully what they post because their future might depend on it. Employment agencies and insurance companies already probe online activity on a regular basis.

Not to mention that all your personal data, private or else, is sold to any company willing to pay for it, and offered to the governments in exchange for juicy deals.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Not a problem for me, I don't do much that's naughty (or interesting).

And it would stop women making all those false accusations in rape, harassment, divorce and custody battles.

No more he said, she said disputes ....... with her always being believed, and him being a toxic male.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 1/17/2018 at 3:37 PM, Thaidream said:

It doesn't matter what generation you are from- if you are working while in a taxi-walking on the street or sitting in a park- I feel sorry for you- life is way too short to tie up every bit of your hours glued to a device of some type.  You may not  realize it but at some point you will be of an age when you start to question what value you time is because time becomes shorter and other things become more important.  If I want to keep up with friends and family- I call them- I refuse to become a member of the impersonal generation.  Up to you - but I don't need it.

Several years ago a fellow I met in the PI suggested the only possible solution to screen enhancement is something like a fold out screen.    ( accordion if you choose)  I suspect that is in the works or at least being investigated.

My last phone buy was an SE (128GB) as I don't wan't an oversized thing in my rear pocket.

I look forward to new developments.