"We've got used to this kind of terrible, selfish driving in Thailand", says Thai media

webfact

"We've got used to this kind of terrible, selfish driving in Thailand", says Thai media

7pm.jpg

A video posted on Facebook showed a situation all too familiar to road users in Thailand.

Dash cam footage showed a driving driving going along around the hilly and winding roads leading to Jao Lao in Chantaburi.

But as the driver rounds a bend his way is blocked by a tourist bus overtaking coming up the hill in the other direction.

Quick and appropriate braking averts an accident.

TNews said in their report that Thais have virtually become inured to such terrible driving. "We have all got used to it here", they said calling such law flouting driving selfish and dangerous.

The footage appeared on the Facebook page of "D'c Banking".

Source: Tnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-18

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stupid putting those buses on a route with a long winding hill. I'd say the driver had no choice its all about revs on a hill for lorries also. If you slow down and you revs drop you could quite likely stall and not be able to restart (Drivers mate when I left school at 15)

4 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Just stupid putting those buses on a route with a long winding hill. I'd say the driver had no choice its all about revs on a hill for lorries also. If you slow down and you revs drop you could quite likely stall and not be able to restart (Drivers mate when I left school at 15)

he had no choice, straight from the mouth of a bad Thai driver, or was it

35 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Yep selfish behaviour on the roads,  when I first drove here pulled up behind a line of traffic, waited a while before I realised I was stopped behind a line of double parked cars.

When I first started driving here I used to stop at pedestrian crossings! little realising how much danger I was putting the pedestrians in, as Nobody else had any intention of stopping regardless.

these idiots simply do not want to slow down or have to stop, instead they expect all other road users to pull over so they can keep going. The driver should lose his license and the bus company fined, if the police actually start making all the ones doing this crap have to pay huge fines etc it will begin to stop. I have had this happen to me and I was lucky I wasnt killed as I had no where to go to get away from the bus, I ended up having to drive in amongst trees to avoid a head on, it was a steep hill with double lines but that didnt stop the idiot driver and he did not have the power to pass the other bus, he was simply driving beside it but refused to pull back in behind it. Police need to get all these bus, truck, car and bike riders that do this crap off the roads 

48 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Ridiculous comment.

2 hours ago, quandow said:

"We've got used to this kind of terrible, selfish driving in Thailand"

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get to be the world's #1 country for deaths on the road.

Yet there are members here who insist that Thai drivers are no worse than anywhere else in the world.

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Ridiculous comment.

So what should he have done then slowed down and stalled it on the hill making all other traffic go round onto the other lane? Those coaches' crawl uphill when fully loaded

Edited by Dave67

Those big buses are usually operated by the same "illegal" company(ies). Many drivers aren't properly trained and they often try to "race" each other with the "me first" mentality, overtaking on blind corners and going way to fast down hills. Thanks to dash cams now they can be identified, prosecuted, and taken off the roads (except of course, This is Thailand). Bastards. 

Edited by Captain_Bob

3 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The lorrie, semi truck in fron of me did that. Wife: what are you doing, me: he isnt going to make it so i backed up and turned around waited for him to back down the hill then turnedbaround again and went on my way, most drivers had no idea he was backing up, down hill. Interesting to watch and i wasnt going to pass up hill on a curve and be the next news story

50 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

So what should he have done then slowed down and stalled it on the hill making all other traffic go round onto the other lane? Those coaches' crawl uphill when fully loaded

What should he have done?

1. not cross the middle line
  2. not overtake in that area
  3. not overtake another bus
  4. not go there with a bus
  5. not drive at all (most important)

3 hours ago, CGW said:

When I first started driving here I used to stop at pedestrian crossings! little realising how much danger I was putting the pedestrians in, as Nobody else had any intention of stopping regardless.

Not to mention the danger for yourselve of being driven over by an inattentive following driver