Favorite Internet Radio Sites Worldwide

Jingthing

Perhaps people want to share their favorite international radio stations, and what they like about them.

My favorite is the left wing political talk shows on KGO radio that run late at night California time:

http://www.kgo.com/listenlive.asp

If you think American talk radio is all right wing, you are in for a shock if you listen to the Ray Taliaferro show:

http://www.kgo.com/complexshowdj.asp?DJID=3450

For music, recently discovered this site:

http://www.live-radio.net/worldwide.shtml

and tried out kalx FM in Berkeley, Cal, enjoying it so far and very smooth connection. Very eclectic selections.

I tried some stations in Brazil but there was buffering delay so thats no good.

So do you have any regular international stations you listen to, and whats good about them?

I like the English station Radio Seagul but it only airs in the Evening in Europe, that makes it a 2am start here in Thailand. But the rest of the day it broadcasts in Dutch under a different name.

Tried to upload the asx link but it was not allowed. A Google for Radio Seagul will find it. At the same time you could also try Radio Caroline.

Chris

There's loads of links to stations around the world at http://www.radiolocator.com

Interestingly some stations that limit their audience to the UK (eg Brunel Classic Gold) work fine if you use the radiolocator link but not if you try to listen direct, I wonder if BBC 5-Live works during one of the 'restricted' broadcasts :o

pandora.com

This is a new idea for me, you simply type in your desired artist and pandora finds similar music, good if you're bored of you current music collection but still want to find similar music...

I tried this site but when I tried to register they needed a zip code. I'm not american so can anybody tell me a zip code I can use?

Perhaps people want to share their favorite international radio stations, and what they like about them.

My favorite is the left wing political talk shows on KGO radio that run late at night California time:

http://www.kgo.com/listenlive.asp

If you think American talk radio is all right wing, you are in for a shock if you listen to the Ray Taliaferro show:

http://www.kgo.com/complexshowdj.asp?DJID=3450

For music, recently discovered this site:

http://www.live-radio.net/worldwide.shtml

and tried out kalx FM in Berkeley, Cal, enjoying it so far and very smooth connection. Very eclectic selections.

I tried some stations in Brazil but there was buffering delay so thats no good.

So do you have any regular international stations you listen to, and whats good about them?

For left political shows, airamerica.com comes in fine over here. I listened to it regularly for its first year, but it has gotten a little dry/faded for me.

I listen to a lot of weekend NPR shows (Prairie Home Companion, Studio 360, This American Life, Selected Shorts, etc.) on wbur.org (Boston, my hometown) kqed.org (SFO), wbez.org (Chicago), wnyc.org (NY, obviously).

Music, listen to my hometown radio station wxrv.com , bbc stations, and whatever my Thai wife dials up on the box.

pandora.com

This is a new idea for me, you simply type in your desired artist and pandora finds similar music, good if you're bored of you current music collection but still want to find similar music...

I tried this site but when I tried to register they needed a zip code. I'm not american so can anybody tell me a zip code I can use?

pandora.com

/EDIT

BIT SLOW AREN'T I!!

Edited by Nikkijah

• 1 year later...

hi,

It's a pleasure to hear this as it is very solacing. Interesting shows and soothing songs are available on this 99.6 fm radio station.. Have a flavor of Jordan music. It makes you tap your feet rhythmically.99.6 fm radio station. It's very cool, enjoyable and energetic station.

------

thanks

marksmith

jordan's best talent---play.jo

BBC Radio 2 and 4 for me. Terry Wogan in the afternoon and Jeremy Vines phone in later. The Radio 4 shows are very interesting, especially the afternoon play, when ever I can catch it. Much better than TV for me.

Second fully what you say of Radio 4, and drama, I have been an avid listener since I was a child and have over 15 gb or plays here in Thailand. On the subject of listening, you could try out the new version of Real Player the free one, that has tunner on it and it caters for all bandwiths and the search engine is quite good.

BBC Radio 2 and 4 for me. Terry Wogan in the afternoon and Jeremy Vines phone in later. The Radio 4 shows are very interesting, especially the afternoon play, when ever I can catch it. Much better than TV for me.

Second fully what you say of Radio 4, and drama, I have been an avid listener since I was a child and have over 15 gb or plays here in Thailand. On the subject of listening, you could try out the new version of Real Player the free one, that has tunner on it and it caters for all bandwiths and the search engine is quite good.

Does anyone know how to get BBC Radio 4 in .wma or .mp3 format outside of UK?

I've got a Freecom MusicPal which can work directly from my broadband router's wifi without having to have another computer switched on, so I can easily move it around the house. It's great, but sadly doesn't support RealAudio streams. BBC block their Radio 2, 3, 4, 5 .wma streams to IP addresses outside UK, although of course there's no such problem with their RealAudio streams.

15gb!! How many plays is that?

15gb!! How many plays is that?

70 Plays and about 27GB's some of the them I brought with me from England as cassettes and then put them into MP3 form. Though of course some of the plays have six episodes.

Am I the only one that uses ITUNES Radio Tuner with a MacBook? I just counted 27 categories of music and talk shows and I don't know how many hundreds of stations are listed. In the "Fifities and Sixties" section alone there must be 50. It connects up to my Pioneer surround sound system so I get good sound all around the bungalow.

For me there is nothing like the soothing politeness of Jonathan Dimbleby and the perfect mix of with and intellect from the panel on ANY QUESTIONS on BBC radio 4.

Recorded on Saturday it is my Sunday morning pottering time treat.

Some people berate the BBC for bias. Well if Any Questions is biased I'll live with it for as long as possible.

cheers John

For me there is nothing like the soothing politeness of Jonathan Dimbleby and the perfect mix of with and intellect from the panel on ANY QUESTIONS on BBC radio 4.

Recorded on Saturday it is my Sunday morning pottering time treat.

Some people berate the BBC for bias. Well if Any Questions is biased I'll live with it for as long as possible.

cheers John

I have to apologise

I just listened to a real exception. The Any Questions with the dullest panel ever. Mengis Campbell droning on about we need an apology blah blah.

Hurry up and bring back the likes of Michael Heseltine, Boris Johnson, Christopher Hitchens, Ken Clarke and let's get stimulated.

Jonathan D is of course always good.

Try next week.

• 1 year later...

BBC Radio 4 (www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes) is the planet's best radio station -- a billion miles better than anything else anywhere for "intelligent speech", which is its motto.

If you want to know the range of radio possibilities other than music, this is where to find out -- Radio 4 does everything that can possibly be done in audio other than music, which it leaves to other stations. It is naturally Brit-centric, but any intelligent anglophone will find plenty to delight in here that is not particularly Brit-oriented.

The real treasure is the "listen again" and archive facilities: there are thousands of hours of recorded broadcasts available at any time.

The downside: the damned buffering problems here in Thailand.