UAE man arrested for allegedly raping American woman

snoop1130

UAE man arrested for allegedly raping American woman

By The Nation

af19615623bcdb0ac40d80080c334b6c.jpeg

A 40-year-old man from the United Arab Emirates was accused of raping a 28-year-old American woman early on Friday in the man’s hotel room, Tourist Police Bureau deputy chief Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakpan.

The suspect, identified as Alawadhi Fahad Abdalla Mohammed Sharif, who was arrested over the rape charge at a hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 2 in Khlong Toei district, claimed he had consensual sex with the victim (whose name was withheld). 

Surachet said the victim filed the rape complaint at Lumpini Police Station at about 3am. The woman told police that she had gone out with three other female friends to a night entertainment venue in the Sukhumvit Soi 11 area and got separated from them. As she walked out of the alley alone, feeling slightly intoxicated, a man of Middle Eastern origin started a conversation with her and invited her to his room where he allegedly raped her. 

The woman filed a police complaint as soon as she got out of the hotel. 

A police probe found that the suspect was a citizen of the United Arab Emirates who had entered Thailand on January 14. He was arrested from his hotel room but the man denied any wrongdoing and claimed he had consensual sex with the woman.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336667

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-1-19

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

As she walked out of the alley alone, feeling slightly intoxicated, a man of Middle Eastern origin started a conversation with her and invited her to his room where he allegedly raped her. 

Nonsense, she asked for it .  

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

So she's walking about in the middle of the night and accepts an invitation from a complete stranger to go back to his room, well I'm sorry but that's just plain stupid.

If that's what happened, then, yes, that's a risky move, but sorry, if she got to the room and then decided she didn't want to have sex in the room and he still forced sex, that is STILL rape. There are thousands of reasons she might have decided to say no, and frankly, she doesn't even need to have a good reason. NO should be enough. 

Mini skirts, late at night, no go area's, and invited to have a last drink together , are all brought in as reason 'she asked for it'

Sorry guy's if a woman say's NO its NO.......and as she immediately reported i assume there was a clear NO situation....

1 hour ago, hgma said:

Sorry guy's if a woman say's NO its NO.......and as she immediately reported i assume there was a clear NO situation....

Never assume, it's the mother of all <deleted> ups...

Plus, is it just when women say "no" that it means no, or did you mean that when someone says "no" it means no ?? For a second there I thought you were being extremely sexist !!

58 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

When was the last time you saw an American prostitute in soi 2?

Not unknown to have Caucasians offering more than coffee and a chat via craigslist.

But agreed. for now we stick to known facts or what's been published so far.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The woman told police that she had gone out with three other female friends to a night entertainment venue in the Sukhumvit Soi 11 area and got separated from them. As she walked out of the alley alone, feeling slightly intoxicated, a man of Middle Eastern origin started a conversation with her and invited her to his room where he allegedly raped her. 

Clubbing in Soi 11. Loses her mates. Has a buzz on. Walks home. Offered company. Wrong choices.

I saw them on the Thai news this morning without her face being blurred, there's no way she's 28, I think 48 would be generous. She was talking to the Arab as though they were deciding what to have for breakfast, no hysterics or hostility.

If that's what happened, then, yes, that's a risky move, but sorry, if she got to the room and then decided she didn't want to have sex in the room and he still forced sex, that is STILL rape. There are thousands of reasons she might have decided to say no, and frankly, she doesn't even need to have a good reason. NO should be enough. 
Is it rape? Difficult to prove for her. Going with an Arab to his room late at night. Why did she go there?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, fasteddie said:

So she's walking about in the middle of the night and accepts an invitation from a complete stranger to go back to his room, well I'm sorry but that's just plain stupid.

Yes, it is stupid. No one says otherwise. However, this does not  justify, nor excuse a physical assault. 

9 hours ago, balo said:

Nonsense, she asked for it .  

No one asks to be raped. I question the motives of any man who  would say "she asked for it". Sadly, the language used is the  classic language of people who engage in such activity.  It is not acceptable, nor is it legal.

13 minutes ago, tonibuergisser said:

Is it rape? Difficult to prove for her. Going with an Arab to his room late at night. Why did she go there?

If the  fellow forced himself on her after she  said no, it meets the test. She may have gone there because her judgement was clouded by alcohol and he gave the impression he was a moral trustworthy person. Whatever the reason, the victim is not the one who has done wrong.

And here's a sad reality of why some women will say no and try and get away; They get to the bedroom and sober up. Or, they are in the bedroom and pick up a bad vibe. You know things like bondage gear or underwear on the floor with a big streak of feces on the backside.

Or, the woman sees the man's naked body and is disgusted because the man has  genital warts or an outbreak of herpes or chancres or has the skin discolouration indicative of pubic lice.  I defy any man here to explain why she would be compelled to have  sexual relations with such a man. If you saw a woman had  oozing sores around her vagina, sores that gave off a pungent choking stench, would you still have intercourse with such a woman? Why then would a woman be expected to do so with a man  with that condition?

OK, we all get to put up a viewpoint; mine is that she did this on purpose planing on going to the police all the time. My other opinion is she was out to 'get' a middle eastern man for whatever reason. For sure it was worth walking from Soi 11 to a hotel on Soi 2, she had a resentment and was going to get even for some past experience with middle eastern men, she set him up. YMMV

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I saw them on the Thai news this morning without her face being blurred, there's no way she's 28, I think 48 would be generous. She was talking to the Arab as though they were deciding what to have for breakfast, no hysterics or hostility.

She must have been well pissed!  I find women's faces only get that blurry after I have had an absolute skinful!

:sorry:

7 hours ago, hgma said:

Mini skirts, late at night, no go area's, and invited to have a last drink together , are all brought in as reason 'she asked for it'

Reminds me of the infamous 30 second rapist case in Perth some years ago.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s265381.htm

Personally I think there has to be some consideration of a woman's actions before the event when deciding guilt in a "he said, she said" case.

It's the age old issue.

She consented - no,  he raped me. 

Never ever take a drunk woman back to your pad or hotel room. The regrets after the alcohol fog clears can often  lead to an accusation of rape. I have always steered well clear of any woman under the influence. 

Anyway, no guy should ever bonk a drunk/ intoxicated woman. 

44 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

Perhaps she thought she was to get some other kind of pearl necklace in payment?

What an abhorrent example of humanity... The comment above lacks any level of class, intellect or wit and shows precisely how crass some dumb folk can be when they lack the smarts and common decency not to attempt humor in such matters.... 

.... This is a rape case and you claim she was some kind of hooker?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" [Twain / Lincoln]

What did she think was gonna happen in his room?

You ain't in the west now, woman alone with man = consent.

If it were a Thai man he would have already been released, then they would be pretending to proceed with a court case while moving court dates until she left the country (to appease the west).

Be interesting to see what happens with an Arab foreigner though.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

correct 100%

still a stupid thing to do though 

21 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

What did she think was gonna happen in his room?

You ain't in the west now, woman alone with man = consent.

If it were a Thai man he would have already been released, then they would be pretending to proceed with a court case while moving court dates until she left the country (to appease the west).

Be interesting to see what happens with an Arab foreigner though.

This almost reads as if you find it acceptable to rape a woman because she is alone with you.

Now, I'm sure this isn't quite the case and you are employing your usual antagonistic methods.

Certainly this case raises a few questions regarding ladies common sense, poor choices and mistakes she made - however, if she did not consent to sexual activity - she was raped... it's really isn't any more simple than that regardless of location. 

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Certainly this case raises a few questions regarding ladies common sense, poor choices and mistakes she made - however, if she did not consent to sexual activity - she was raped... it's really isn't any more simple than that regardless of location. 

Directly a woman agrees to be alone with a man, that's consent, and that's sensible.

My Thai wife understands that, my 19 year old daughter understands that.

What you are arguing about is the right to change her mind, which is an entirely different matter, and in America they are allowed to change their mind 30 years after the event. In Thailand, and most of Asia, not so much leeway is given.

Do you believe a deal is final when you agree and shake hands?

Or when the 14 day 'cooling off' period is past?

Edited by MaeJoMTB