Montclair has a 20% increase!

giddyup

I usually keep a 2 litre bottle of Montclair in the fridge for quaffing wine, went to pick up a bottle and it is now 530 baht instead of the previous 430 baht. Tried another shop, same price, 530 baht, that's a heck of an increase for an el cheapo wine. Good news is that the Castle Creek 2 litre hasn't been increased (as yet), still 430 baht.

Edited by giddyup

Montclair benefited from previously being classed as a fruit juice, same as cider, so loads of money was made by wholesalers on the jacked-up prices they charged. The new tax regimen has correctly aligned these two tipples with being alcoholic beverages and taxed accordingly. If the wholesalers decide to pass the new tax increases 100% to retailers and consumers, it could be the end of boxed 'wine' and cider in LOS.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Montclair benefited from previously being classed as a fruit juice, same as cider, so loads of money was made by wholesalers on the jacked-up prices they charged. The new tax regimen has correctly aligned these two tipples with being alcoholic beverages and taxed accordingly. If the wholesalers decide to pass the new tax increases 100% to retailers and consumers, it could be the end of boxed 'wine' and cider in LOS.

Maybe it will happen across the board, but as I said, Castle Creek's price is still the same.

Montclair I prefer to drink my dog piss than this, but yes, it has increased to 399 a bottle and Marysol also.

Really, if you have to drink a cheap "wine", try Marysol, it's a lot better thank Montclair.

But lately you can find another cheap piss called Charles Strong that costs 199/bottle at Makro and that is not worse than Marysol (and of course better than Montclair).

I am wondering who are the genius who decided to increase these cheap wines to 399 when the real increase because of tax raise was 309/bottle.

5 minutes ago, FashionExport said:

Montclair I prefer to drink my dog piss than this, but yes, it has increased to 399 a bottle and Marysol also.

Really, if you have to drink a cheap "wine", try Marysol, it's a lot better thank Montclair.

But lately you can find another cheap piss called Charles Strong that costs 199/bottle at Makro and that is not worse than Marysol (and of course better than Montclair).

I am wondering who are the genius who decided to increase these cheap wines to 399 when the real increase because of tax raise was 309/bottle.

PM me as my dog pisses twice a day on our walks I can supply you as much as you want at a very reasonable price. 

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Maybe it will happen across the board, but as I said, Castle Creek's price is still the same.

Did you look at the date printed on those boxes?

Most of them are almost a year old, that will explain why there is no price increase YET

13 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Most of them are almost a year old, that will explain why there is no price increase YET

Correct. Older inventories will still attract the older tax rate. There's also wholesalers clearing inventories of old or less popular brands. The 'confusion' over the specifics and roll-out of the new excise rates end of last year was deliberate to prevent the stockpiling and gouging linked with tax hikes that is largely unmanageable due to nature of things in LOS.

Saw it (2 litre Mont Clair) in Big C (Lamphun) for over 700B. Went to my trusted supplier, 449B as before.

The Thais had better start making some drinkable wine. The stuff they produce is worse than what I make sticking some yeast in some grape juice.

35 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

2 litre bottle, not box.

Apparently the details are in the tax sticker attached to bottles and boxes.

This is somewhat confused by the importation and local re-packaging of wine-related products of foreign origin. AFAIK, the tax stickers also have different colors but ultimately, between the revenue department and the company that was given permission to do this repackaging shuffle, someone is pulling a fast one whilst the other turns a blind eye. But both are banking big time... or else they wouldn't be wasting their time on the whole exercise.

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, FashionExport said:

Dog piss .....would that be Chateau Yeeomah ? Rather you than me.

As an alternative to Montclair I just bought 10 litres of supposed Italian fruit wine, Casa Romeo Rosso , in two 5 litre glass jugs for 725 baht  a pop each from Tesco......which is actually the cheapest stuff out there and no worse for it.

Is it just me, or does Montclair have a lot more calories as I seem to gain weight with this stuff? Thus, I stopped drinking it and pay a little more for another South African or Australian wine. I am from California in the states, so I love California wines buy waaaay too expensive in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, likeke said:

Is it just me, or does Montclair have a lot more calories as I seem to gain weight with this stuff? Thus, I stopped drinking it and pay a little more for another South African or Australian wine. I am from California in the states, so I love California wines buy waaaay too expensive in Thailand.

A bottle of Jacobs Creek red in a 7/11 is nearly 800 baht (A$32), in Australia it's around $9.

I have not found Montclare increase in price. Check the price of the normal size bottle and the half size bottle. See how much the 700ml is and multiply by 3 this works sometimes. Many times I have bought 2 small for the equivalen large one in weight & size and the smaller ones have worked out cheaper.

14 minutes ago, shaurene said:

I have not found Montclare increase in price. Check the price of the normal size bottle and the half size bottle. See how much the 700ml is and multiply by 3 this works sometimes. Many times I have bought 2 small for the equivalen large one in weight & size and the smaller ones have worked out cheaper.

Wrong.

1 half bottle montclair price was 159 thb

1 75cl montclair price was 309 thb

not new monclair 75cl price is 399 thb.

Anyway, strop talking about montclair, I am about to throw out :-)

In Tesco's in Udon Montclair 2 litre bottles now 749 baht, similar price in makro and BigC. They have a different colour tax label now. Peter Vella, Castle Creek still old prices (Peter Vella 799 baht 4 litre box). I understand home brewing has become very popular last month or 2 ......

8 minutes ago, rickudon said:

In Tesco's in Udon Montclair 2 litre bottles now 749 baht, similar price in makro and BigC. They have a different colour tax label now. Peter Vella, Castle Creek still old prices (Peter Vella 799 baht 4 litre box). I understand home brewing has become very popular last month or 2 ......

749 baht. That's 300 baht more than they used to be! I thought an increase of 100 baht to 530 baht was bad enough. You sure you are talking the 2 litre bottle?