Renewing a 2 year licence for a 5 year one - how much?

cliveshep

My car and motorcycle 2 year temporary licences expire at the end of February, and my wife's in April. As the tax on two motor-bikes and one car is due at pretty much the same time and being on a pension squeezed by the Brexit exchange-rate crash I'd like to know how much I need to budget to renew the driving licences.

I understand that application for renewals can be made up to 90 days before expiry - can anyone confirm this point too.

We are kind of hoping to pop into the DLT offices in Nong Chock that is not too far from us and where the licences were originally issued to renew all the licences and pay the taxes on all the vehicles at the same time. Not sure what the tax is on a car so if anyone can answer that one too as I forgot what it was last year,  I know the bikes are 100 baht each so no issues there.

Thanks in advance.

14 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Do you have to take another test when renewing your licence?

I renewed car & bike licence, in Ayutthaya, in july , Had to do same test for original licence, If you could call it a test, cant remember how much it cost, wife paid. !

19 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I think you have to multiply those fees by 5 (for 5 years)

I renewed by Driving License at few months ago... 

I had a 5 year License but I'm not on a Non-Immigrant Visa anymore so I could only obtain a 2 Year Temporary License upon renewal - I think cost of THB 305 is about right... 

Also factor in - Cost of Medical (which can be obtained from a clinic for a +/- 200 baht).

Also factor in - Proof of accommodation (i.e. from Embassy [expensive] or Immigration which should be free [if you have done a recent 90 day report]) OR, if you are listed in your house book you can use that. 

Car Tax: You will need to show proof of insurance - Por-Ror-Bor which is the basic insurance which usually accompanies the 1st Class insurance (if you have it) otherwise you renew the Por-Ror-Bor before Taxing the car (the Por-Ror-Bor compulsory insurance is about 700 baht). 

The yearly Tax varies and is dependent on the type of car you drive (displacement / horse power). 

For a license renewal - you will have to do a handful of quick tests (colour blindness / Reaction test / Proximity test) and then watch a 40 minute video. 

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, Sophon said:

Car drivers license is 505 Baht. Tax on car varies with model and the age of the car, you can check what you paid last year in the car blue book.

Sophon

Car over 7 years and motorcycle over 5 year old need a check in the approved inspection center. They are all over in every city. See the picture of the posted signage. Last time I went i paid:  60 bahts for motorcycle 200 bahts for car

Inspection center Thailand.jpg

I renewed my 2 year car licence for a 5 year one today at Cha am. The cost was bht555. I had to take the colour & proliferal vision test and the braking response test. Documentation required:- old driving licence, passport (+ copy of main page and TM6). Doctors certificate and Proof of residency from local Immigration Office. Total time at driving centre 35 minutes!  Wish the same could be said of time at Immigration Office.

19 minutes ago, Bkk2061 said:

I was there today, then did ask for a wp or a certificate of address from embassy 

Either or  will be fine, both not necessary.... 

Weird. Then what is the point of the address :D Funny if my license would show my place of work.

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Workpermit without address? Strange, since you're limited to working at the address mentioned on the workpermit.

MY addr. I thought the purpose of them wanting proof of addr was to put the place of residence. Not place of work.

4 hours ago, zib said:

MY addr. I thought the purpose of them wanting proof of addr was to put the place of residence. Not place of work.

They do, it says your address  on the back of your licence in small writing 

Might be hard to notice if it's written in Thai and nearly  worn away like mine