Our lemons are turning brown – need advice before the wife gets back .

Once Bitten

My wife is growing 1 Rai of Lemons that she sells to the local buyers market and has been looking after them well . Currently she is away and has left me in charge of looking after them. For the past few days Ive started to notice more lemons that seem to be going a dark brown color , Ive done no spraying of chemicals or any thing that I think could be causing this other than watering them with the sprinkler system. I'm sure when the wife gets back she will think its all my fault :sad:

Any one have an idea what may be causing this problem ? 

Most are like this nice and green , but some are turning brown .

GoodLemons (Medium).jpg

BadLemons (Medium).jpg

BadLemons2 (Medium).jpg

Yesterday my wife bought some oranges at the local Wat Market.

They look like they came from a proper company rather than a small local grower.

They look similar to what is happening to your wife's lemons.

Hope it helps.

PS

I listened to the link and from what I heard, what's happening to your lemons has been ongoing for a long time.

So, why didn't she spray at the early stage? (Only kidding LOL)

oranges.jpg

Edited by laislica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, laislica said:

They look like they came from a proper company rather than a small local grower.

Hope it helps.

PS

I listened to the link and from what I heard, what's happening to your lemons has been ongoing for a long time.

oranges.jpg

My wife has brought oranges with a skin same as these many times ,it is natural not a disease looking at the label thay come from a company farm if they was any disease in them the company would not sell them for certain.

Us being farangs we are used to orange,blemish-free oranges if these where on sale in our supermarkets one one would buy them.

As for the limes are lemons or lemons are limes debate ,my first thought the op's are limes , the photo is of my limes ,to me the leaves look the same as the op's,but  somewhere on TV is a lemon thread ,with ripe Thai lemons ,to me looking like more like diseased limes ,Thai  lemons are not the bright yellow ones we are used to  ,also most Thai's do not know what lemons are ,so any one growing lemons to sell ,it would not be an easy market to sell in  . 

002.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

My wife has brought oranges with a skin same as these many times ,it is natural not a disease looking at the label thay come from a company farm if they was any disease in them the company would not sell them for certain.

Us being farangs we are used to orange,blemish-free oranges if these where on sale in our supermarkets one one would buy them.

As for the limes are lemons or lemons are limes debate ,my first thought the op's are limes , the photo is of my limes ,to me the leaves look the same as the op's,but  somewhere on TV is a lemon thread ,with ripe Thai lemons ,to me looking like more like diseased limes ,Thai  lemons are not the bright yellow ones we are used to  ,also most Thai's do not know what lemons are ,so any one growing lemons to sell ,it would not be an easy market to sell in  . 

002.JPG

Its natural, we have lime trees and orange trees on my ppty in Vietnam and sometimes the skins have this brown color, inside they are still oranges, and Limes.  I have been advised to grow sweet Lemons (the Yellow version) might give it a try.

13 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Face the tiger!

Ask the wife what she did that is making the lemons brown before she asks you.

Euphoric-Tiger-Happy-Cat-Nature-Wild-Wild-Life-160601.png

I generally don't get involved in this lemon growing malarkey , and spend my valuable time reading the thaivisa posts and riding my motorbike Oh and of course looking after any BBQing that needs to be done :biggrin: and as for asking her indoors why she let this '' rust '' problem start in the first place , that would take several large Chang beers to build up the courage :biggrin: 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, laislica said:

Hope it helps.

PS

oranges.jpg

I sent my wife a photo of the brown lemons and she seemed  some what  unphased about it  :whistling: , which was a surprise , personally I now cannot rest until this '' rust '' problem has been sorted out :sad:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kickstart said:

002.JPG

Well to day I went to the local vegetable market where my wife sells her Lemons and low and behold there were some of the same brown skin lemons there for sale .  You say your limes , can I ask if you are growing to re sell or just for personal use. 

When the wife gets back I'm going to start taking interest in this Lime / Lemon / growing , its a shame to see this '' rust '' problem not being sorted out before it got to this current stage , all Ive got to do now is some how try and convince the wife to let me get involved and help out .

This is what our green lemon looks like inside.

Any one else growing Lemons and can offer advice related to growing them in Thailand :thumbsup:

cutLemon - Copy (Small).jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Once Bitten said:

I generally don't get involved in this lemon growing malarkey , and spend my valuable time reading the thaivisa posts and riding my motorbike Oh and of course looking after any BBQing that needs to be done :biggrin: and as for asking her indoors why she let this '' rust '' problem start in the first place , that would take several large Chang beers to build up the courage :biggrin: 

How many beers to try this?  :sorry:

Now this may work with some wives, (sometimes?).

This trail guide remains incredibly calm and manages to halt a charging elephant in South Africa.

The video was filmed at Kruger National park, and shows the elephant being stopped in its tracks.

"The elephant encounter is an authentic example of how calm energy can influence the behaviour of wild animals,"

Alan McSmith told Newsflare. "Most trail guides who have seen the video admit that they may have shot the elephant in self-defence, it was that close."

"The footage is a testament to elephant's intelligence and complex behavior and shows how humans and animals can connect on a meaningful level,"

he added. "Therefore, ultimately, the video is about the elephant and not me."

When the wife gets back I'm going to start taking interest in this Lime / Lemon / growing , its a shame to see this '' rust '' problem not being sorted out before it got to this current stage , all Ive got to do now is some how try and convince the wife to let me get involved and help out .

This is what our green lemon looks like inside.

Any one else growing Lemons and can offer advice related to growing them in Thailand [emoji106]
5a68affb51d86_cutLemon-Copy(Small).jpg.948d7873883f5ca7c30fa61cda49e38b.jpg
As in the link I posted it is described more as cosmetic appearance unless your trees are heavily infested.
You can refer to that site about level of infestation and suggested countermeasures.
If I can remember correctly a spray with petroleum oil on the infested trees is the first and also least harmful step.
Good luck!

20 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Well to day I went to the local vegetable market where my wife sells her Lemons and low and behold there were some of the same brown skin lemons there for sale .  You say your limes , can I ask if you are growing to re sell or just for personal use. 

We normally grow them for our own use , and the wife's family of course ,but this past year has   been a bumper  year for limes ,and the wife has sold a lot , mainly to our local mobilel shop ,and to the shop at the end of our soi 

We have 3 trees ,one I got from a farm that produces a lime drink ,that thay sell made from fresh limes ,that is a Manow-Nam-Hom verity ,and has a lot of juice,the other 2 trees are Bang-Phichit verity ,and has less juice .

Our Manow-Nam-Hom ,has had this rust disease ,but not to the extent as the op's ,the other 2 trees have never had any problems.

Thai annual dairy show next week , always guys selling a verity of fruit trees I am aiming to buy a lemon tree . 

• 6 months later...
On 1/24/2018 at 3:31 PM, laislica said:

Hope it helps.

PS

oranges.jpg

I see those oranges (mandarins) all the time at the market, they cost more and taste better than the pretty perfect ones. I have 16 lime trees in concrete tubes and if I don't harvest quick they turn brown but there's nothing wrong with the juice. Stop worrying!

3 minutes ago, riceyummm said:

I see those oranges (mandarins) all the time at the market, they cost more and taste better than the pretty perfect ones. I have 16 lime trees in concrete tubes and if I don't harvest quick they turn brown but there's nothing wrong with the juice. Stop worrying!

I doubt after 6 months the OP's fruit is still edible.

• Haha 1

Citrus Fruit Brown Rot: Tips For Brown Rot Control On Citrus

With their brightly colored, fragrant fruits, there’s no reason not to grow citrus, even if you have to greenhouse in order to do it. Sometimes, though, your beautiful crop may develop water-soaked spots before they rot out entirely. This condition, known as Brown Rot in citrus, can be a serious risk to your morning OJ if you don’t take swift action. If brown rot is plaguing your oranges, lemons, limes or other citrus fruits, then this article should help.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Citrus Fruit Brown Rot: Tips For Brown Rot Control On Citrus https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/citrus/citrus-fruit-brown-rot.htm