Food For Foreigners new shop open!

xylophone

15 hours ago, sebastion said:

You could take the coast road all the way to Rawai and bypass the circle mayhem entirely and visit FFF.
The drive is the grind, especially entering Patong.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

but you have a considerable pot of gold at the end of that dreary rainbow.....

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2018 at 9:52 AM, eezergood said:

thanks for that! 

An old photo of near where I was brought up in Manchester lead me to research Atora.   Thought I would share this for those interested.

"Suet had one of its first mentions in a recipe of 1617 as a key ingredient for "Cambridge pudding", served to students at that university. At this time, suet was time-consuming to use and prepare: preparation involved removing the fat from beef, clarifying it over heat, allowing it to solidify, and then chopping or grating it ready for use.

Through time, it was common to be able to find blocks of suet at grocers' shops; however, it was not until 1893 that the first pre-shredded suet became available. It was the brainchild of Gabriel Hugon, a French man living in Manchester. He observed his wife struggling to cut blocks of suet in the kitchen and set about to create ready-shredded suet.

Hugon called his product "Atora", derived from "toro", the Spanish word for bull. To reinforce this connection, up until World War II, the suet was transported around the country by painted wagons pulled by six pairs of Hereford bulls.

In 1974 production was moved from the factory in Ogden Lane, Openshaw, Manchester to another site at Greatham, near Hartlepool. Production at Greatham ceased in around 2002–2003.

The brand was bought by Rank Hovis McDougall in 1963; along with the rest of the group, it became part of Premier Foods in March 2007."

Atora.jpg.7ed62977f23f47fb88c03e8d2d8b2833.jpg

• Thanks 1

I can understand why people needed to eat saturated fats in the 17th century, but why on earth would people in the modern world, with complete access to dietary information, want to eat pure animal fats? It's not as if you need the energy to walk a trap line in -30 degrees in Alaska.

Micronutrient Analysis

Warning:

• High in saturated fat

This nutrient has been linked to a number of health issues including high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and stroke.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I can understand why people needed to eat saturated fats in the 17th century, but why on earth would people in the modern world, with complete access to dietary information, want to eat pure animal fats? It's not as if you need the energy to walk a trap line in -30 degrees in Alaska.

Micronutrient Analysis

Warning:

• High in saturated fat

This nutrient has been linked to a number of health issues including high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and stroke.

Cholesterol is ESSENTIAL for the production of sex hormones, production of Vitamin D, cell production. Saturated fat (some kinds) have been attacked in the media for decades based on a scam. I suggest YOU look at the more up to date dietary information.

See here

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

One final point - Its bloody yummy

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Hugon called his product "Atora", derived from "toro", the Spanish word for bull. To reinforce this connection, up until World War II, the suet was transported around the country by painted wagons pulled by six pairs of Hereford bulls.

This photo from 1930:

5a98b56244c0c_AtoraWagon1930.jpg.bc684b8274f12da88c8d2f76fc998877.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Cholesterol is ESSENTIAL for the production of sex hormones, production of Vitamin D, cell production. Saturated fat (some kinds) have been attacked in the media for decades based on a scam. I suggest YOU look at the more up to date dietary information.

See here

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

One final point - Its bloody yummy

Firstly, I'm aware you're addressing my post. No need to shout!

Secondly, I'm not an advocate of sugars in a good diet. I have no interest in the sugar industry.

Thirdly, saturated fats create what's known as  bad cholesterol, there's a difference.

Anyway, enjoy your tasty fats, good luck with your arteries.

I should know better than to try to persuade an Englishman away from his traditions.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Secondly, I'm not an advocate of sugars in a good diet. I have no interest in the sugar industry.

Thirdly, saturated fats create what's known as  bad cholesterol, there's a difference.

I should know better than to try to persuade an Englishman away from his traditions.

Fats are about balance and are essential. No need to be anti fat.

The sugar and wheat industries have been lying for 50 years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I will assume here, but happy to be wrong, you are Australian? pies are very much part of your tradition! 

LDL cholesterol is bad, however most natural animal fats are low in these and higher in HLD - pork fat just came in the top 5 healthy foods to eat due to its nutrition density etc.... time & science has updated 

• Like 1

Obviously I'm aware that fats are one of the 5 major food groups and essential in a balanced diet.

The following article sums up my thoughts:

"There are different types of fats, with some fats being healthier than others. To help make sure you stay healthy, it is important to eat unsaturated fats in small amounts as part of a balanced diet.

When eaten in large amounts, all fats, including healthy fats, can contribute to weight gain. Fat is higher in energy (kilojoules) than any other nutrient and so eating less fat overall is likely to help with weight loss. Eating less saturated and trans fats may help lower your risk of heart disease.

So a diet that is low in saturated fats and trans fats, but that also includes moderate amounts of unsaturated fats will help you stay healthy."

My last word. These type of fats should be consumed in moderation. Eating habits from the 17th century do not fit with today's lifestyle and dietary needs.

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Obviously I'm aware that fats are one of the 5 major food groups and essential in a balanced diet.

The following article sums up my thoughts:

"There are different types of fats, with some fats being healthier than others. To help make sure you stay healthy, it is important to eat unsaturated fats in small amounts as part of a balanced diet.

When eaten in large amounts, all fats, including healthy fats, can contribute to weight gain. Fat is higher in energy (kilojoules) than any other nutrient and so eating less fat overall is likely to help with weight loss. Eating less saturated and trans fats may help lower your risk of heart disease.

So a diet that is low in saturated fats and trans fats, but that also includes moderate amounts of unsaturated fats will help you stay healthy."

My last word. These type of fats should be consumed in moderation. Eating habits from the 17th century do not fit with today's lifestyle and dietary needs.

This maybe your last word, but it is far from absolute. Not sure how eating a natural product, which by virtue of being natural, has been around for many years can be considered eating habits of the 17th century. This would make eating an apple an eating habit from Biblical times and is another example of a food which should be eaten in moderation. If you think his is rubbish, go and eat 7-8 apples and tell me how you feel...... Suet, to use this example we are debating here, is very high in poly & monounsaturated fats.

This balanced diet line gets rolled out far too often without and substance. Balanced how, according to what, for who? based on???? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eezergood said:

This maybe your last word, but it is far from absolute. Not sure how eating a natural product, which by virtue of being natural, has been around for many years can be considered eating habits of the 17th century. This would make eating an apple an eating habit from Biblical times and is another example of a food which should be eaten in moderation. If you think his is rubbish, go and eat 7-8 apples and tell me how you feel...... Suet, to use this example we are debating here, is very high in poly & monounsaturated fats.

This balanced diet line gets rolled out far too often without and substance. Balanced how, according to what, for who? based on???? 

Im hoping it is the last word, since the threat is about a new food for foreigners shop.

• Like 1

Food for thought.............

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160627095006.htm

A University of South Florida professor and an international team of experts have found that older people with high levels of a certain type of cholesterol, known as low-density lipoprotein (LDL-C), live as long, and often longer, than their peers with low levels of this same cholesterol.

I guess in most of our lifetimes we'll never know what is good and bad for us, this esp as the "food pyramid" often touted by various Govt depts etc has changed markedly over the years.......eggs bad, no eggs good; butter bad, no butter good; margarine good, no margarine bad; coconut oil bad, no ok, and so on.

IMO the pushing of vegetable oils and high fructose corn syrup has helped with poor health and obesity (pushed by the US farm lobbyists) and the use of antibiotics/antimicrobials in livestock is leading to bacterial resistance which also affects us all.

A little off topic but there is a link to food, fats and the food sold at FFF in Chalong.......which was how this particular debate started!

2 hours ago, paahlman said:

Danish pastries..., Northern europe dark crusted bread etc.. Meatballs etc...

Many, many bakeries sell these, one I use for example, Flints One bakery on Chaofa East.   Home made meatballs are the best and so easy to make, with no shortage of places to get the ingredients here, however if you must have the ready made, the Ikea outlet on the Bypass sells them.

2 hours ago, paahlman said:

Was actually thinking the same.. This is not foreign food.. Its English food.. What about scandinavian specialities.... ? Danish pastries..., Northern europe dark crusted bread etc.. Meatballs etc...

British food - As for bakery products, where do you live as there are multiple genuinely great bakeries on the Island. 

10 minutes ago, eezergood said:

British food - As for bakery products, where do you live as there are multiple genuinely great bakeries on the Island. 

But not a greasy real fish n chip shop. A fellow called Simon gave it a try for a decade +  years ago on 50 year road just past/opposite Christin Massage. I loved the battered burger and chips. Or battered sausage and chips. Not quite as good as red pudding back in the UK.

He relocated to Pattaya. Might still be there selling chips 

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Many, many bakeries sell these, one I use for example, Flints One bakery on Chaofa East.   Home made meatballs are the best and so easy to make, with no shortage of places to get the ingredients here, however if you must have the ready made, the Ikea outlet on the Bypass sells them.

I buy my bread from Big C in the main, and sometimes Tops and Villa Market, however I have to say that the range of breads in Big C are many and varied and the recipes originate from various European countries by all accounts -- – this from the French Baker, Cedric, who is in charge of the Department.

Malt bread, walnut bread, French farmhouse loaves, country oatmeal and so on..........

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Meantime I eat another pork pie ..... and will die happy ...

Snackman ends the fight and saves the day! :D

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Perhaps I shouldn't mention it on this thread as it's a rival store, but I was very impressed with the range of frozen foods currently on offer at Villa in Chalong. A major improvement on what they had before, including a whole load of products from Iceland (the store, that is, not the country, for those of you with a hankering for whale-meat!).

However, like Food For Foreigners, very British orientated.

Looking forward to kippers for breakfast tomorrow.

Good post and totally agree and have already bought some stuff there. Good quality too.

On 03/03/2018 at 4:44 PM, LivinginKata said:

Meantime I eat another pork pie ..... and will die happy ...

And last night I had the "British Indian" Chicken Tikka Masala from FFF and it was lovely.........in fact the best curry of this sort (precooked & frozen) I have ever tasted. 

The meal was made complete by a few glasses of red wine, and then followed by a soothing glass of LBV port! Lovely grub!