2 weeks in November - Condo or hotel?

mrblonde

A properly registered hotel or guesthouse is legal, pays taxes,  reports tourists to Immigration, has more amenities, daily maid services, free linens, is properly equipped with safety features, etc., etc.,etc.  One has to ask oneself are you going to be part of the problem or solution? 

One BIG con for going the condo route--the residents really don't want you there using their HOME as a hotel.  And, as already mentioned, you're staying illegally and the condo owner is not going to report your place of stay to Immigration, as required by law. 

Airbnb probably fills a niche market when there are not many local accommodation options or the local accommodation is expensive. Pattaya has neither a shortage of accommodation and its not expensive.

I doubt Airbnb rentals are carrying adequate (if any) liability insurance, or are subject to the consumer protections built into hotel legislation.

A proper hotel would have legal recourse if you got electrocuted by the microwave, and an obligation to move you to another room if pipe bursts etc.

Like Uber etc, its yet to be tested when it come to legal liabilities, duty of care, etc. 

Edited by Peterw42

1 hour ago, ThaiBob said:

A properly registered hotel or guesthouse is legal, pays taxes,  reports tourists to Immigration, has more amenities, daily maid services, free linens, is properly equipped with safety features, etc., etc.,etc.  One has to ask oneself are you going to be part of the problem or solution? 

There are many 'hotels' in Pattaya that offer extra facilities like electric hobs, larger fridge, separate sitting area. When in doubt, go for the middle ground. I think the extra services offered by a hotel are worth it, room service being one thought.

I rather think the hotel case is being overstated here.

For years I've been staying at serviced apartments. Streaks ahead of many hotels in terms of facilities and services.

After a while the hotels cried foul as they couldn't compete.

Room service? Many hotels in Pattaya are bereft of such a thing and anyway, you can order food to your room day and night in Pattaya regardless.

More amenities? Nonsense. Some will and some won't.

Who cares on a two week stay whether your stay in reported to immigration?

Pipe bursts? You move out and AirBnB effects a refund.

Go for the option that suits you.

I go for apartments, as I get a full kitchen with a full sized refrigerator,  cutlery, sometimes washing machine, more space, better location.

I can choose to fill my fridge with quality drinks and ingredients. That way not having to put up with either low end and low quality breakfasts/meals or decent quality, but overly expensive meals in a hotel.

I have the choice to prepare for myself or to go outside. No overly expensive mini-bar nonsense.

You'll likely not even have a plate in a hotel room. Order pizza or anything else and you'll be eating it out of the box.

Also a full sized Full HD TV into which I can plug my USB drive to watch movies etc. Not a locked down one or outdated one, as in many hotels. Perhaps also a sound sytem. The list can go on and on.

The usual facilities such as swimming pool and gym.

The same thing in a hotel would be labelled an luxury suite with a ludicrously inappropriate price tag.

Anyway, my answer is to choose the option that suits you best.

2 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I rather think the hotel case is being overstated here.

For years I've been staying at serviced apartments. Streaks ahead of many hotels in terms of facilities and services.

After a while the hotels cried foul as they couldn't compete.

Room service? Many hotels in Pattaya are bereft of such a thing and anyway, you can order food to your room day and night in Pattaya regardless.

More amenities? Nonsense. Some will and some won't.

Who cares on a two week stay whether your stay in reported to immigration?

Pipe bursts? You move out and AirBnB effects a refund.

Go for the option that suits you.

I go for apartments, as I get a full kitchen with a full sized refrigerator,  cutlery, sometimes washing machine, more space, better location.

I can choose to fill my fridge with quality drinks and ingredients. That way not having to put up with either low end and low quality breakfasts/meals or decent quality, but overly expensive meals in a hotel.

I have the choice to prepare for myself or to go outside. No overly expensive mini-bar nonsense.

You'll likely not even have a plate in a hotel room. Order pizza or anything else and you'll be eating it out of the box.

Also a full sized Full HD TV into which I can plug my USB drive to watch movies etc. Not a locked down one or outdated one, as in many hotels. Perhaps also a sound sytem. The list can go on and on.

The usual facilities such as swimming pool and gym.

The same thing in a hotel would be labelled an luxury suite with a ludicrously inappropriate price tag.

Anyway, my answer is to choose the option that suits you best.

Hotel, serviced apartment, guest house are all the same thing and operating under some sort of license. Very different to renting out a room in a residential block, as a serviced apartment, airbnb etc

Many of the serviced apartment blocks are one owner owns the whole block, not individually owned residential condos..

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Hotel, serviced apartment, guest house are all the same thing and operating under some sort of license. Very different to renting out a room in a residential block, as a serviced apartment, airbnb etc

Many of the serviced apartment blocks are one owner owns the whole block, not individually owned residential condos..

Either way, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

I've rented individual apartments in Thailand when it suits too.

Fully equipped apartment, rooftop pool, sauna, gym, all for 700 baht.

How much the same in a hotel?