Video: Farang wows Thais with knowledge of Buddhist ways

webfact

Last Thursday I was sitting with a mate at Lollipop in Nana Plaza enjoying happy hour. I saw the girl, the guy in the blue pants and the guy in the white pants swagger their way into the plaza. They  made idiots of themselves taking tourist photos wai-ing and posing in front of the spirit house.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

All Buddhism is mixed with animism, none more so than Tibetan Buddhism, Buddha never asked people to abandon their religion, he did not make a new religion, he made a way of life that could be practiced alongside any religion and so we see in all places that Buddhism has been adopted an amalgamation of old religion with the new philosophy.  

Buddha may not have taught about bowing, it may have come with Santideva.

Buddha never said you should not have statues or amulets, that is a common misconception, it is fine to have statues to focus on when meditating and praying, just not to worship the icon.

Other nonsense?

Ah so you now think you are a Buddhist expert?  praying and who do they pray to?  you don't think Thais worship Buddha?  and what about the Hindu influence?  after all Thai Wats are Hindu inspired mostly

38 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

His name is God King, that is what Dalai Llama means, I really don't think he would be shocked by being called the title that most everyone uses for him!

Utter nonsense.  Dalai means 'Ocean or Big'  and Lama means 'Master/Guru'

Your ignorance is astounding.

Dalai Lama. ... The name is a combination of the Mongolic word dalai meaning "ocean" or "big" (coming from Mongolian title Dalaiyin qan or Dalaiin khan, translated as 'Gyatso' in Tibetan) and the Tibetan word བླ་མ་ (bla-ma) meaning "master, guru".

2 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

Ah so you now think you are a Buddhist expert?  praying and who do they pray to?  you don't think Thais worship Buddha?  and what about the Hindu influence?  after all Thai Wats are Hindu inspired mostly

Those who understand are praying to the dharma using the image of Buddha as focus, those who do not understand could be praying to and for anything, who knows?

And what about the Hindu influence?  I am not sure what you mean but all Buddhism has a Hindu influence, Buddha remained a practicing Hindu.

2 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

Utter nonsense.  Dalai means 'Ocean or Big'  and Lama means 'Master/Guru'

Your ignorance is astounding.

Dalai Lama. ... The name is a combination of the Mongolic word dalai meaning "ocean" or "big" (coming from Mongolian title Dalaiyin qan or Dalaiin khan, translated as 'Gyatso' in Tibetan) and the Tibetan word བླ་མ་ (bla-ma) meaning "master, guru".

Ok, I was wrong, I thought that was what it meant, but having just read what he himself has to say about it, it is actually a term used by Tibetans when they refer to him in English.  Anyway, he would certainly not be shocked as it is something he is commonly referred to as and it is what the role used to be when his predecessor was the religious dictator of Tibet so the term is quite accurate, even if it doesn't apply to the current Dalai Lama.

14 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

I do not think I am an expert but I was brought up in a Buddhist family.

6 hours ago, daoyai said:

seriously? so these freaky dudes can "graap" in front of a statue is worthy of praise? hilarious.

Forgive them, they know not what they do!! A few reads of TV and they'll learn to deficate, too,  all over the people and culture of the land they're guests in.

7 minutes ago, johnhw said:

Forgive them, they know not what they do!! A few reads of TV and they'll learn to deficate, too,  all over the people and culture of the land they're guests in.

guests? I thought we were just tolerated (if we bring in enough money)

5 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

And here we go with all the bar stool legends and their inane comments about someone that has taken the time to grasp in depth some of the ways of the Thai people.

We’ll see plenty of comments calling this guy out yet we’re supposed to gasp and bow at the feet of those that ‘know everything’ there is to know about Thailand.

it would seem the "bar stool legends" are already in the photo

22 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Ok, I was wrong, I thought that was what it meant, but having just read what he himself has to say about it, it is actually a term used by Tibetans when they refer to him in English.  Anyway, he would certainly not be shocked as it is something he is commonly referred to as and it is what the role used to be when his predecessor was the religious dictator of Tibet so the term is quite accurate, even if it doesn't apply to the current Dalai Lama.

Thank you. Have you read many of HH works?  maybe studied and attended his talks?  I have read him extensively and live.  I can assure you, from what I know, he would be horrified!  but I sense you want to 'fight on' and I do not.  

I am not a Buddhist so I really don't have a horse in this race. however, I can definitely appreciate a foreigner taking the time to learn another culture and beliefs... and why some Buddhists would be impressed with a foreigner's extensive knowledge of their culture and beliefs. 

I am having a really hard time understanding why people are criticizing and hating on this.  

27 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

Thank you. Have you read many of HH works?  maybe studied and attended his talks?  I have read him extensively and live.  I can assure you, from what I know, he would be horrified!  but I sense you want to 'fight on' and I do not.  

Here he is talking about it 1973, doesn't seem too horrified.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/43299867

3 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

If they are praying with full of devotion, most welcome to any God or any Temple. After all, all humans makes mistake, and and try to reverse the bad karma, which is good.

In fact if we are all doing good in life there is no need of God, and heaven, how full it will be if we see all of them in heaven, some time it is fun to be in hell with bad guys.  Because no beers served in heaven.

In case if you realize your mistakes, you go to God and pray for forgiveness. Your chances can be 50-50.

Kindly don't laugh at them, because they cannot reverse their  temporary Karma look given by tattoos.  :sleepy: Hope to seem them for beer later.

"In case if you realize your mistakes, you go to God and pray for forgiveness. Your chances can be 50-50".

Sorry to dispute it but your chances are zero, just as there is zero chance of seeing Father Christmas.

6 hours ago, mrbfly said:

Agreed, incredible so many totally ignorant non-thais that lives or comes to Thailand not knowing anything (cos it's too hard for them to comprehend?) - yet fast commenting - about 2.500 yrs of buddhist culture and what's behind 

Except that Thai Buddhism is as Buddhist as the imitation cheese product is cheesy.   This is a cocktail of imported Buddhism, pre-Buddhist animist beliefs, some Chinese ancestor warship thrown in, with the liberal amount of prosperity gospel sprinkled on top.

6 hours ago, mrbfly said:

Agreed, incredible so many totally ignorant non-thais that lives or comes to Thailand not knowing anything (cos it's too hard for them to comprehend?) - yet fast commenting - about 2.500 yrs of buddhist culture and what's behind 

I agree and I always show respect to my in-laws and the people who deserve my respect.  Same wherever I am in the world.  However many who have lived in Thailand for years have witnessed time and time again the hypocrisy around the Thai Buddhist religion.  The never-ending reports of monks abusing their position and often abusing others, the illegitimate children, the drug dealing and taking, the drunken abbots with their Mia Nois etc. etc.  And the way the religion is used to excuse peoples behaviour. 

These people do not deserve respect.  I am sure that there will be an argument that not all monks and abbots are the same and some are honorable.  I accept that but why do they condone and shield the others?

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Not very many but they do make the news, and of course the ones holed up deep in the forrest don't.

... and no matter ones view, there is around 400.000 monks in thailand and about 47.000 Temples - and most monks are basically laymen, ordinary people who attend a Temple for a lot of reasons so of course there almost have to be quite a few rotten apples among them! That does not change "the basics" and "our" monks in our jungle/forest Temples around our small village does not have any extravaganca, a few of them are good teachers and help the villagers in many ways! Like a few other farangs I know I am up every morning for the alms round, giving them food 

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I see that this is a culture that really has the answers I am looking for. These are people clearly at peace and full of empathy for all living things around them. I see no conflict that can't be resolved with a simple wai. I see no greed no corruption just people focusing on  harmony and selflessness. That is why you must copy their ways, even though the Buddha would be horrified to see the idols, the extravagance of the temples, and the opulent lifestyle of many monks. You should copy their every move so you can have what they have. And also you should bathe in a barrel of ink a couple of times a week.

You missed out how there is no killing or abuse of animals, animals are not really in cages in temples... they are free, everyone is vegetarian too.

2 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Probably hard for Thais to believe that other peoples also practice Buddhism. Thais can be so insular. :coffee1:

There are many types of Buddhism, some more "user friendly" than others.  All religions are abused by the people who hide behind them.  This thread is concerning Theravada Buddhism and the people who abuse it.