Pattaya district chief blames tourist for starting fire in hotel sauna

webfact

Pattaya district chief blames tourist for starting fire in hotel sauna

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A full scale emergency was sounded yesterday afternoon as eight fire engines rushed to the Fairtex Sports Club and Hotel in the middle of North Pattaya.

There was a fire in the sauna section of the hotel and smoke was billowing from the second floor. Manager said that firefighters had a difficult time bringing the blaze under control due to there being a lot of wood in the area of the fire.

2pm2.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

It took thirty minutes until the blaze was under control.

Bang Lamung district chief Naris Niramaiwong told reporters that an initial assessment indicated that a tourist who had turned up the heat control was to blame for the fire.

Manager reported that it was lucky there were no injuries or loss of life at the hotel that is in Soi 6.

Hotel executive Prem Busarakhamwong was also on the scene and said that the cost of damage was impossible to assess until a more detailed examination was carried out.

An investigation is underway.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-25

' initial assessment indicated that a tourist who had turned up the heat control was to blame for the fire. ' What is a control for then ? Show?

Reminds me of the time when the air con failed in my place, the landlord blamed me for using it too much ! I thought he was joking but he wasn't. Crazy.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

There was a fire in the sauna section of the hotel and smoke was billowing from the second floor. Manager said that firefighters had a difficult time bringing the blaze under control due to there being a lot of wood in the area of the fire.

Someone had "wood" in a sauna in Pattaya, who would have thought!

Well they blamed the Tourist for turning up the heat ( quite unbelievable ) obviously bad design or maintenance problem. But the fire department added to the problem since they couldn't put out a basic wood fire due to there being to much wood

Bang Lamung district chief Naris Niramaiwong told reporters that an initial assessment indicated that a tourist who had turned up the heat control was to blame for the fire.

That is a typical excuse.

Was there a waring sign on the heater control, don't raise the heat?

And if they know it was dangerous to increase the heat, why was a controler installed?

How they have found the root cause of the fire so quickly.

They have investigated the cabling of the sauna stove or have they installed some CCTV in the sauna?

It is very easy to accuse the end-user of the device and not the operater of the hotel.

The motto is still, never lose face!

Most of the saunas also have a safety cut-off thermostat switch. So when the surrounding area around the heating elements gets too hot, the element is automatically shut-off, regardless of the control setting. Maybe the safety cut-off failed.

Another probable cause is that the wire to the heating element is the wrong type and size of wire.

Why would anybody install a device with a control that can cause a fire?

52 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Most of the saunas also have a safety cut-off thermostat switch. So when the surrounding area around the heating elements gets too hot, the element is automatically shut-off, regardless of the control setting. Maybe the safety cut-off failed.

Another probable cause is that the wire to the heating element is the wrong type and size of wire.

Why would anybody install a device with a control that can cause a fire?

Safety cutout, Thailand no need. hahaha

13 hours ago, ESCAPIS said:

Would a ‘farang’ excuse be easier for Insurance claim?

Be enough to get them over the line if the claim looked dodgy. They probably got there claim form First line  Name and address of policy holder  Second line the question would be   What  or who caused the fire? They would write in there " A farang" That would be it no more questions on the form to fill out Sign or use thumbprint on claim.

19 hours ago, mikebell said:

Surely the fire brigade aren't about to make a challenge for the title 'Most Inept Organisation' held for the last twenty years by Pattaya Police?

They have been well spoken of after other past incidents in town so I am reluctant to disparage them.

There is a possibility there was no access.

As to the reason for the fire, a tourist turned up the knob, that is quite ridiculous and whoever said it is a moron. Had he put wood on the heater rather than the usual stones I might have had some agreement. Knobs can be removed.

There is always some pretentious twit who wants to demonstrate his toughness by making it hotter in saunas. The type who puts a load of water on the stones and 30 seconds later opens the door to leave, letting the heat out.

True story, I was in a Sauna in a hotel Bangkok, a guy from Northern Europe came in with a squirt bottle of some alcohol based eucalyptus oil - he squirted it over the hot lave rocks of the sauna bin and flames shot up to the ceiling, he laughed and said - "Oh sorry, that not happen before"  I took my leave at that and jumped into the swimming pool, fully expecting the place to go up in flames.  So, I can see a foreigner causing the fire, as well as all the other reasons, faulty wiring, no safety cutoff switch for high temps, etc etc etc.

Edited by TunnelRat69