Butts Out: Smoking Ban To Hit 24 Thai Beaches

webfact

On 1/25/2018 at 4:42 PM, quandow said:

I ride a push bike most days along Jomtien Beach Road. I see people politely smoking on the sidewalks, off the beach, disposing of the butts in the readily available garbage bins. No fanfare, no parade, no problems.

I wonder where all the butts will be disposed of.

Quite a few of the streets running off Jomtiem Beach Rd are littler dumps, as is the Railway line bypass.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/26/2018 at 7:48 AM, BaldPlumber said:

The Thais have put about a million ashtrays along the beach pavement now.

Mostly made of plastic water bottles cut in half and filled with sand.

Good idea.

Oh yes, that will look so nice!! It will put world class resort Pattaya on the worldmap!

I also love the waterbottles hanging on tarps above the sidewalks, soooo coool! And when i hit them with my head i always have to laugh so much....

But can smokers not bring one of the sandfilled waterbottles to the beach and use it as ashtray for the day to put it back on the street when they go home?

On 1/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, Bluespunk said:

Hmm, interesting choice picture.

Is it only pesky foreigners who smoke on the beaches then...

80 % for sure there are almost no thai on the beaches, smokers are disguisting people anyway

the nerve thinking it is normal to trow butts everywhere, blowing their stinking fumes around ashes on dining table

talk about asocial!!!

Blaming a smoking ban for establishments closing is a nonsensical argument, it's a simple matter of health and safety.  Get over it. 

Nanny state or not - why should smokers be allowed to contaminate any area at all and negatively impact the lives of others? 

2 hours ago, wazzupnow said:

80 % for sure there are almost no thai on the beaches, smokers are disguisting people anyway

the nerve thinking it is normal to trow butts everywhere, blowing their stinking fumes around ashes on dining table

talk about asocial!!!

I’m not sure which beaches you go to, but I always see a lot of Thais at the beaches I frequent. 

As to smoking, I don’t, but if people wish to do so in the privacy of their own home/property, I’m ok with that. 

In public?

I’m not ok with that, at all. 

On 1/25/2018 at 2:23 PM, halloween said:

Before the gloom and doom predictions, remember what happened when smoking was banned in pubs.

When was that??? - there is not much evidence of it being enforced, I see people smoking in pubs all over the country..........restaurants as well,  No ashtray??  No problem  -   just put the ashes on the floor, or in your plate, coffee cup wherever you like.  Oh, and don't worry about all the non-smokers around you, hey don;t care you are blowing smoke at them while they are eating.............:violin::violin::violin::1zgarz5:

All this is going to accomplish is to bring more obnoxeous smokers onto the beach walkways in Jomtien and Pattaya  And its bad enough now . In Pattaya most of the smokers are the hapless Chinese males and other ignorant Asian males. While in Jomtien its the white foreign males that are lying around the walkway smoking , in addition to all over the place like sitting on the steps in front of 7/11/ Family Marts.

These white male smokers in Jomtien ( I guess Northern Europeans/ Russians) are slobs in general. Someone on this forum keeps stating that its only 10% that smoke ?? * In Pattaya/Jomtien its must be close to 60%. Basiclly "these  lowlife smokers" are a plague around here.  *  That 10% may apply to the Canadians,  U.S. and Australians only.

On 1/26/2018 at 3:04 PM, Cranky said:

Here's food for thought: Lock the ignorant dirtbags up that inflict fags on kids; it's  already illegal in the UK to smoke in a car with kids in there.  Not only are they more likely to take up the habit (like I did and spent the better part of 10 years kicking it 9 years ago), if they don't they are likely to get sick anyway.  Any Doctor that complains about a smoking ban should be struck off, or taken away to the funny farm at the very least.

Also, just because it's nice and sunny outside in the fresh air, does that entitle you to call the entire outdoors your personal 'Smoking Area' and pollute anyone downwind of your stinking habit?  

You wanna smoke, go sit in your car and light up with the windows closed.  See how long you last - that's what you are inflicting on other people.

The chap who was complaining spent all the winter inside the pub in the warm =, whilst we were relegated to the outside.  there was a no-smoking area he could use - inside the pub.

7 hours ago, Cranky said:

Blaming a smoking ban for establishments closing is a nonsensical argument, it's a simple matter of health and safety.  Get over it. 

Nanny state or not - why should smokers be allowed to contaminate any area at all and negatively impact the lives of others? 

Your name suits you!

5 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

When was that??? - there is not much evidence of it being enforced, I see people smoking in pubs all over the country..........restaurants as well,  No ashtray??  No problem  -   just put the ashes on the floor, or in your plate, coffee cup wherever you like.  Oh, and don't worry about all the non-smokers around you, hey don;t care you are blowing smoke at them while they are eating.............:violin::violin::violin::1zgarz5:

If we are talking about the UK, in my area, especially in the inner city pubs, the no smoking ban is strictly enforced, and I've even seen smokers being "asked" by bouncers to move 15 feet away from the door. So which area are you talking about?

8 hours ago, Thian said:

Oh yes, that will look so nice!! It will put world class resort Pattaya on the worldmap!

I also love the waterbottles hanging on tarps above the sidewalks, soooo coool! And when i hit them with my head i always have to laugh so much....

But can smokers not bring one of the sandfilled waterbottles to the beach and use it as ashtray for the day to put it back on the street when they go home?

N0, because they are not allowed to smoke on the beach! Did you not read the headline? :-

"Butts Out: Smoking Ban To Hit 24 Thai Beaches"

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

If we are talking about the UK, in my area, especially in the inner city pubs, the no smoking ban is strictly enforced, and I've even seen smokers being "asked" by bouncers to move 15 feet away from the door. So which area are you talking about?

Thailand as a whole, I have travelled all over this country, its a smokers paradise here.  Laws are in effect, but never enforced...............

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

All this is going to accomplish is to bring more obnoxeous smokers onto the beach walkways in Jomtien and Pattaya  And its bad enough now . In Pattaya most of the smokers are the hapless Chinese males and other ignorant Asian males. While in Jomtien its the white foreign males that are lying around the walkway smoking , in addition to all over the place like sitting on the steps in front of 7/11/ Family Marts.

These white male smokers in Jomtien ( I guess Northern Europeans/ Russians) are slobs in general. Someone on this forum keeps stating that its only 10% that smoke ?? * In Pattaya/Jomtien its must be close to 60%. Basiclly "these  lowlife smokers" are a plague around here.  *  That 10% may apply to the Canadians,  U.S. and Australians only.

I have a favorite beach chair mamasan in Jomtien, rent from her exclusively, I bought her a cheap fan so when the smokers light up next to me, she plugs it in and directs it to their tables blowing their smoke elsewhere...........now with the ban, it is not needed anymore (hopefully)   I agree with the definition of the smokers in Jom Tien, huff puff, drink beer, talk loud, its even worse when someone cranks up the "Euro Techno Pop" in the parking lot and tries to blow your eardrums out  -  thats when the cell phone call to the Tourist Police is made by mamasan, I don;t agree with the 10%  it is much less, like 1% ANUSNZCAN      (hahaha).

Edited by TunnelRat69

3 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thailand as a whole, I have travelled all over this country, its a smokers paradise here.  Laws are in effect, but never enforced...............

Ah - Thailand - that explains it! My apologies, when I read "smoking ban" and 20% of pubs closing because of it, and one poster disagreeing with the fact, I thought we were talking about the UK.

As you're referring to Thailand, I agree that the no smoking laws in some areas/establishments are applied with as much force as the "rules of the road"!

13 minutes ago, sambum said:

N0, because they are not allowed to smoke on the beach! Did you not read the headline? :-

"Butts Out: Smoking Ban To Hit 24 Thai Beaches"

We can also smoke unfiltered cigarettes and let them totally burn into ash...That would be an even better plan me thinks

1 minute ago, Thian said:

We can also smoke unfiltered cigarettes and let them totally burn into ash...That would be an even better plan me thinks

I think that if we are talking about rubbish/refuse in general, as has been already mentioned, I think that cigarette butts are a miniscule part of the problem. But I believe that the reason for the ban is more to do with a health issue, and the nonsensical way that smokers are being vilified more than murderers and child molesters! 

19 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have a favorite beach chair mamasan in Jomtien, rent from her exclusively, I bought her a cheap fan so when the smokers light up next to me, she plugs it in and directs it to their tables blowing their smoke elsewhere...........now with the ban, it is not needed anymore (hopefully)   I agree with the definition of the smokers in Jom Tien, huff puff, drink beer, talk loud, its even worse when someone cranks up the "Euro Techno Pop" in the parking lot and tries to blow your eardrums out  -  thats when the cell phone call to the Tourist Police is made by mamasan, I don;t agree with the 10%  it is much less, like 1% ANUSNZCAN      (hahaha).

Lies, damn lies and statistics, 10% , 1%. Pull my third leg and I'm an Aussie. Even the Govt here states it's above 20%. As for your other statements such as " I bought her a cheap fan so when the smokers light up next to me, she plugs it in and directs it to their tables".  Well that sums you up as a fellow human being and spendthrift!

1 minute ago, wavemanwww said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics, 10% , 1%. Pull my third leg and I'm an Aussie. Even the Govt here states it's above 20%. As for your other statements such as " I bought her a cheap fan so when the smokers light up next to me, she plugs it in and directs it to their tables".  Well that sums you up as a fellow human being and spendthrift!

Maybe so, but I like to breath fresh air when I go to the beach  -  and yes, I like spending my money any way I choose, it is after all, mine.  and quite frankly, I don;t care about them, I am a hedonist and proud of it, why do you think I live in Thailand??   Peace:coffee1:

18 hours ago, nisakiman said:

You obviously didn't read the post on the previous page by mrfill

Also, from the Office of National Statistics:-

"In the UK, the proportion of current smokers in 2016 (15.8%) which was the lowest prevalence recorded since 2010"

Wonder where the 10% figure came from? Maybe it was blurred by all the hot air? 

6 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Maybe so, but I like to breath fresh air when I go to the beach  -  and yes, I like spending my money any way I choose, it is after all, mine.  and quite frankly, I don;t care about them, I am a hedonist and proud of it, why do you think I live in Thailand??   Peace:coffee1:

I never inferred you live in Thailand? Good luck in seeking pleasure. I sought it and found it spending my money anyway I choose on a daily massage with a happy ending! :-)

1 hour ago, sambum said:

...and the nonsensical way that smokers are being vilified more than murderers and child molesters! 

Maybe the offending smokers could just be transferred to another beach.

(rather like the kiddy-fiddling school principal who was transferred to another school).

Edited by chickenslegs

For those of us that live here, it doesn't really matter as it's likely we rarely use any of the 24 tourist beaches on which smoking has been banned.

Edit - and I'm sure it won't take the tourists that smoke very long to discover other nearby beaches, without a smoking ban.

Edited by dick dasterdly

6 hours ago, blubb said:

Thank you Thailand, next please restaurants/bars and Condo balconies :)  + other public places please.

"Restaurants/bars" - the rules are already in place - just not adhered to or enforced.

"+ other public places" - be a bit more specific please.

"Condo balconies" - Come on, are you being serious? 

Why don't you just come out and say it - "Let's ban smoking EVERYWHERE!"

And when they increase the price of EVERYTHING to compensate for the loss of revenue from taxes, allow me to say "I told you so!"