Motorbike accident advice...please help

jane108

Hello. 

Last night a drunk Thai did not stop while coming off a side street as my husband was driving straight. My husband hit him as he was turning and crashed. The man had a child with him and was drunk. My husband suffered severe bruising, but is otherwise okay. The other two parties were also physically okay. The man's bike also okay, but my husbands front end  is damaged. The Thai man left within a minute and seemed very nervous. No license plate. We are renting this bike, a Honda Dream. I have been renting from the same people for one year, without problems. This morning I went to the owners who were obviously not happy. I thought the plastic rim was the only thing that was bent, but the owner of the bike (an expat) says it is the entire front, and that it is twisted. First he said it was not fixable and I would have to pay seeing that the Thai left the scene. He then said 30,000 b for a Dream that is 20 yrs old. His wife then said it could be fixed so to try that first. They took the bike to the shop and the shop says, yes it might be able to be fixed. It will cost 10,000 b. The husband then said let's try to fix it first. I am wondering what my options are? Any advice would be so much appreciated....and can someone give me a rough estimate of  honda dream 125 cc that is 20 yrs. old, and not in perfect, but good condition. Thank you 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As your husband let the Thai drive off heis responsible for the damage unless you can locate the other party...   it also seems like the person who rented the bike to you is trying to profit.

1) Take the bike away and have it fixed yourself. 

2) Then buy an old Honda Dream for yourself so you are not reliant on someone trying to rip you off. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/110585945628334/search?query=Honda Dream

Edited by richard_smith237

If you don't know who the Thai was of course you have to pay it yourself.

But a 20 year old bike? I did never see anybody renting something as old as this. It's worth maybe 10000thb.

In Thailand everything can be fixed, and probably fixing this is a lot cheaper than 10000thb (wouldn't make any sense to fix something for 10000thb on a 10000thb bike anyway). They are all just trying to squeeze as much money from you as possible. Does he have your passport?

No passport. And there is no way I would be able to find this guy. I don't know anything about bikes or bike damage. Plus I am on a tourist island where I know there are many "scams". So I am indeed in a pickle. The original owner of the bike has taken the bike. The owner of the bike says the Honda Dream retains its value and is worth that much because they are no longer made. And vintage. ????

The 3rd party, just forget it, even if you were to find them think? what are you actually going to get?  You are scrapping the bottom there.

In regards to the dream,  I don't believe a 20 year dream is a 125 C.C.?  get out the registration and take a look. This bike is somewhere in the 5000-10,000 range. 

If possible, take the bike to Sukhumvit Soi 55, this shop I believe will give you a real answer and cost as to the front end.

Last, If the bike is 20 year old, I would offer no more than 10,000 baht for the bike, I'm guessing he would jump on it!  if he does then tell him the bike is yours then watch his reaction. If I'm correct he is full of shit..

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

So right.....passport or copy with renter so he knows how to find them.

Some people on here should be very careful about giving out bad advice that could make big problems for people.

My passport doesnt have my address in it.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As your husband let the Thai drive off heis responsible for the damage unless you can locate the other party...   it also seems like the person who rented the bike to you is trying to profit.

2) Then buy an old Honda Dream for yourself so you are not reliant on someone trying to rip you off. 

I've just checked this site and amazed at the low price of some of these bikes, just a couple of years old. Could they be stolen bikesI wonder?

When I was involved in an accident not my fault, I paid for his bike to be fixed, my wife's bike to be fixed, and I gave him 1,000 baht for not taking me to court. I paid 500 baht as a fine and I was happy to do so.

Had he been injured, I'd also have had to pay his hospital bill, and if he'd died I'd be in jail, so I got off lightly.

Any farang that isn't prepared to pay up and be happy that it wasn't worse, shouldn't be driving in Thailand.

BTW, why wasn't the question of insurance for the bike not sorted when it was rented? Sensible people do that before an accident and not after.

The bike was not rented from a shop. Rather from people I knew (a thai and foreigner husband) who had extra bikes that they rent out to make some extra money from. I live on an island....things are different.....I asked them about insurance coverage, they say it only covers injuries of third parties. 

Edited by jane108

1 minute ago, jane108 said:

The bike was not rented from a shop. Rather from people I knew (a thai and foreigner husband) who had extra bikes that they rent out to make some extra money from. I live on an island....things are different.....I asked them about insurance coverage, they say it only covers injuries of third parties. 

If not insured for damage, then one agrees to pay for any repairs simply by taking the bike. Your husband has no option other than paying for the repair. If you don't know enough about it to get it done yourself, you have no choice but to pay whatever he asks, unless you wish to dispute it in court and that would cost way more than 10,000 baht.

Your husband was committed to paying the instant he drove off on it.

BTW, other riders pulling out without looking is normal here, and one has to drive as if it is going to happen, and without warning.

Sorry to be unsympathetic, but all this is known and should be taken into account by any using a m'bike in LOS.

I found a shop that rents m'bikes without taking the passport in Chiang Mai, but I declined when they informed me that the insurance does not cover damage. 

Find a repair shop independently yourself. Take a Thai speaker with you to explain the situation and the damage to the bike. See what the repair shop estimates. If it is considerably less than the bike owner's estimate, go to the bike owner, say you will have his bike fixed for him by your guy at your expense - or you walk. Otherwise, if you have no stomach for the argument, pay up the 10k the owner is asking for repairs to a twenty-year-old bike worth a few thousand. There's not much else you can do.

39 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I've just checked this site and amazed at the low price of some of these bikes, just a couple of years old. Could they be stolen bikesI wonder?

The prices seem quite normal, the ones who are just 1 or 2 years old with a price like 5k are of course finance offers, and the price mentioned is just the downpayment.

But the offers from 10k-30k depending on the age look normal, don't forget that the bike just costs something like 40k new

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

you have no choice but to pay whatever he asks, unless you wish to dispute it in court and that would cost way more than 10,000 baht.

Why does OP have no choice? Obviously OP is in the better position because the renter doesn't have OPs passport. If OP doesn't pay the renter has to pay money to take OP to court, and then the renter has to explain to the judge why he wants to have 30k thb for a 20 year old bike ;)

The chance of being beaten or stabbed is quite small because the renter is a foreigner too :P

Obviously the bike that you rented was damaged while you used it, so you should pay for the damage. Of course we can't really tell how much it is, but something like 3000thb would probably cover it. So i would suggest you simply offer him 3000thb, he can take or leave it and you are done with it

Thanks,

I got part of it right "tourist" now if I stretch it some thing Pattaya is a island. Nevertheless the rest of it should help him island or no island he should be able to take a look at other shop to see the value of the bike and go from there or even online.

You're being scammed by the Felang. Not unusual. His Thai wife seems more understanding. I'm familiar with these bikes. If it has telescopic front forks rather than leading link, you can actually straighten them like you would a bicycle. Even with a bit of damage, replacement parts and labour, I doubt the bill in a normal mon'n'pop corner m/c shop would be more than a 1/4 of what he is asking. ie 2,500 Baht.

****Update*** Thanks everyone thus far. This post has been helpful. My landlord (Thai) asked to see photos of the bike and told me his Aunt owns a bike shop. I didn't know this until today. He asked if she could see the photos and whether or not I wanted to talk to her. I obliged. She was very polite and confirmed the bike would need to go to the mainland as there is not a "alignment" machine here. She then said the price would be about 5000 b. total, maybe less. I explained in full detail that the forks (sorry I don't know the right term), wheel, and somewhere under the steering was bent. She seemed to understand. She told me to talk with the owner to see if the bike could be moved to  her shop and she could fix. I went to the owner asked him to sit down and that I wanted to talk with him. I explained exactly that above. As soon as I said 5000b, he became outraged and said "the bike can only be fixed at the shop up the road" (he knows the guy for a long time). His wife then started yelling at me. They own a restaurant and people were eating. He also was yelling things like "you wrote off my bike", "I gave you a chance", "I tried to work this out with you", "You don't know what I can do", "You will pay double", "you will pay for the entire bike". Guys, I'm a young girl and I was just sitting there in shock. I asked them to please calm down and said can we just talk. The wife walked away and said charge her double. He yelled at me some more and walked away. I then said "hey can you please be an adult and sit down so we can talk" His response " I am being an adult.". I need to note that I have known them for one year. They have had serious financial troubles, as they both told me this. Also, from the very beginning, I understand that I will have to pay the damage, and have no objections to this. I get it. However, I was never told that the bike could only be fixed in one specific shop. Furthermore, I think it is only fair that I have the chance to go to a shop of my choosing, and one that is telling me that it will cost approx. half. Am I wrong for thinking this? 

Finally....many of you have said it is the risk of renting a bike. Yes, I know. :( 

4 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Find a repair shop independently yourself. Take a Thai speaker with you to explain the situation and the damage to the bike. See what the repair shop estimates. If it is considerably less than the bike owner's estimate, go to the bike owner, say you will have his bike fixed for him by your guy at your expense - or you walk. Otherwise, if you have no stomach for the argument, pay up the 10k the owner is asking for repairs to a twenty-year-old bike worth a few thousand. There's not much else you can do.

Please see my update.......

If the 3rd party estimates it at about 5000 i would go with this, let him cool down a bit until tomorrow and then take a witness and 5000thb with you, and tell him: He can take the 5000THB now and you guys are done or you won't pay anything.

IMO, if you are prepared to have it fixed, that should be the end of that.  Anything more is a simple ripoff.

Oh, and once this is over, I'd definitely either buy, or rent elsewhere, these don't sound like people you want to do business with.  I'd avoid the restaurant as well, you don't want someone who's annoyed with you making your food.  :omfg:

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

agree with you 100% on all counts. 

19 hours ago, jane108 said:

No passport. And there is no way I would be able to find this guy. I don't know anything about bikes or bike damage. Plus I am on a tourist island where I know there are many "scams". So I am indeed in a pickle. The original owner of the bike has taken the bike. The owner of the bike says the Honda Dream retains its value and is worth that much because they are no longer made. And vintage. ????

Not it doesn't, a bike that old wouldn't get 5k for it. Look in the classified you'll see yourself. My old Honda Wave110 I sold recently was only 8 years old can only just get 10 for that, they're trying to scam you big time.

Husband went to try and talk seeing that they clearly were not ready to talk to me. OMG, what a mess. So I was told by the foreigner owner of the bike that the owner, and friend, of the motorbike repair shop looked at the bike yesterday and said 50/50 chance it will work. Today his wife tells my husband, owner is on the mainland and the bike is in a queue. No one has looked at it. Her husband keeps saying the bike is a write off. My husband says okay, what would you sell it to me for. Husband says 30000 b. My husband says c'mon be reasonable, this is a 20 yr. old bike. He goes silent. Then says he will call the police. My husband says okay, I am fine with that. So, now the story is changing. The bike has not been assessed. And, it might be fixed here according to the wife. The husband maintains that it cannot be fixed. Please see images of the bike. :) 

20180126_111005.jpg

20180126_111044.jpg