why no love and respect for farang no more in asia

opalred

6 hours ago, yogavnture said:

americans are percieived as having money. they want money. thus the sour look

By whom are Americans perceived as having money, the envious Brits? While the UK cannot even make the top ten of European countries in income; there are several European countries where incomes are as much or more than the US.

Additionally, I imagine most Thais cannot tell the difference between an American and a European without asking; and even fewer know how much we get paid.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have big money, why would you come to live or holiday in Thailand?

I have been lucky to earn good money but if it was all about money I would not be hear. As a evil scumbag Brit, hated by the world ( 2nd most hated people in the world after the evil Americans) I fit in well.  Thai people do not have any problems with me, I am liked in the village I live in.

I have known a American for 15 years and he appears to be very nice. Maybe it is not important where you come from but what you do. Thais will not like you if you are a ass hole ever if you have big money.

On 1/25/2018 at 7:36 PM, opalred said:

i have traveled past 20 years in china  and all Asia country's   many times  each year

now lived los 14yrs 

you were greeted with smiles and respect years ago 

now china and most Asian country's treat you with  a sour look 

and i am not from usa  why?

Try dressing like a gentleman and acting your age, treating/speaking to people like people and not underlings, then you get respect - I too have been travelling Asia, pby more extensive than yourself, I have not experienced what you say - and I AM from the USA.

Edited by TunnelRat69

It's all about every action has a equall and opposite reaction.

When OP first came here he had a stupid permanent grin on his face and yeah thais smiled back

. Fast forward and we just have another jaded expat with a drinking problem.

Grin is long gone [emoji3]

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Gee, you mean young men averaging 19-21years of age, who have been locked away at sea for months, but now have a pocket full of money and are let loose in sin city. No, I just can't imagine what they may do. So please tell me about British, German, Russian, Chinese or Japanese sailors on liberty in sin city.

Get a grip. I'm not aware of the above nationalities going on R&R in Pattaya. American sailors are painfully obvious.

So their age or occupation excuses their conduct? BS. On that basis, we can excuse Catholic priests for their pedophilia because they have been celibate too long.

Edited by Lacessit

8 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

The internet has turned the whole world into blase, anti-social know-it-alls.

Thais generally like and respect Americans, although this has slipped considerably since Trump got into office.

In the 32 years since I first came to Thailand, I can't remember a time when I ever felt Thais kow-towed to foreigners. I think there was a time when tourism was taking off here, that people smiled more because the department of tourism indoctrinated people into behaving like welcoming hosts, and that this friendliness would pay off on the bottom line, but that's not the same thing as kow-towing.

The real "slipping" for Americans actually started when George W. Bush was prez. Americans suffered great loss of respect here. Surprised you don't agree. I remember and loathe it well. Personally haven't noticed an iota of change since Trump. That said...LOS stands for Land Of Snarls for everyone now...and has for the better part of a decade. :sad:

Well its same as former Jugoslavia. Poor people are always more sociable and nicer. 20 years ago the girls in former Jugoslavia were on lookout for foreigners because that would give them a chance to enter Europe. Now when their economy are growing the girls stop looking and are concentrating for their own men. Thailand has also seen a growth in economy and the girls are looking less for farangs than 10 years ago. It could also be that you are too much in the big cities where all the bad people are going to. I was in a Robinson 7km from Bkk center where i was the only farang. I got smiles all around and everyone looked like i was a superstar. I took my bike from Pattaya to phuket and made many stops along the way for food and the feeling were the same. Only happy faces and if any of the girls could jump me they would. So get out on a small trip and you will still see happy faces. 

Well I will to try and explain the LOS. while going down the road on my bike, ( sure I like to look at the people ) if the girl looks at you and smiles ( thats called the 1000 baht smile ) if she looks away ( she,s already had the 1000 baht ) I learnt in LOS you buy sex and rent love full stop.

14 hours ago, mick220675 said:

I have known a American for 15 years and he appears to be very nice. Maybe it is not important where you come from but what you do. Thais will not like you if you are a ass hole ever if you have big money.

I  prefer not to mix with the locals, they have nothing I want and I don't want to give them anything they want (my money).

I live the same life I would be living as an elderly gentleman in the UK, watching movies, playing Xbox and PC games, surfing the internet.

I wouldn't be mixing with my neighbors in the UK, why would I do that here?

I wouldn't care what other people in the UK thought of me, why would I care here?

As I get older, I want to spend more time on my own, that seems entirely normal to me.

Doing that in Thailand, just allows me to do it cheaper and warmer.

15 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I  prefer not to mix with the locals, they have nothing I want and I don't want to give them anything they want (my money).

I live the same life I would be living as an elderly gentleman in the UK, watching movies, playing Xbox and PC games, surfing the internet.

I wouldn't be mixing with my neighbors in the UK, why would I do that here?

I wouldn't care what other people in the UK thought of me, why would I care here?

As I get older, I want to spend more time on my own, that seems entirely normal to me.

Doing that in Thailand, just allows me to do it cheaper and warmer.

I totally agree 100%

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Get a grip. I'm not aware of the above nationalities going on R&R in Pattaya. American sailors are painfully obvious.

So their age or occupation excuses their conduct? BS. On that basis, we can excuse Catholic priests for their pedophilia because they have been celibate too long.

I made no attempt at excusing their actions, only that the actions are not limited to Americans.  If I remember correctly, most Thais do not live in Pattaya. The point I thought we were discussing was whether or not Americans were especially bad among farangs in Thailand.

I do social research and decided to gather some data on this subject. So, let me relay this long story—read it or not.

Last night my wife, daughter-in-law, her girlfriend and I went to our favorite Thai live music venue and asked several Thais for their opinions of farangs. I realize this is anecdotal, but I wanted to gather some information. We started talking and sharing drinks with neighboring tables of Thais. I invited the band over for a drink during their break and gathered a few of the Thai customers around our table to join in. Some of their responses surprised me, but I believe I must tell you that I do not live in a tourist ghetto, I live in Hatyai, the largest city in the South of Thailand where you see few farangs and even fewer farang tourists. First, as expected, I was told all farangs were good. After a few more questions, stories and drinks, I was told the Thais appreciate farangs who try to assimilate to the Thai ways rather than those who bluster about demanding things their way. In response to which farangs are best, I drew some blank stares, as if to say, a farang is a farang. A couple of them responded they thought Americans were the best, mostly because of the American entertainment industry, but also because of the economic, educational and military alliances between the US and Thailand—however, by this time they had found out I was an American, so . . . . One other gave an example of a German as being the best, mostly from specific actions he made and the fact he spoke fluent Thai; another said Spaniards were the best because of a specific example who, like the German, spoke fluent Thai—again, assimilation to Thai ways seemed to be key. The questions began about me. The Thais were impressed that I knew some of the Thai songs, spoke a little of the language and, I think, because I drank Regency. That led some to say I was a good farang. However, I believe I am better accepted because my wife is not a Thai, she is a Filipina-American, and we chose to come live in Thailand. They were also impressed that my daughter-in-law is Thai, but were somewhat curious that she is awaiting her US immigrant visa to join our son in Florida. Then, the questions for my daughter-in-law began. The inevitable, how did she meet my son, what sort of work does she do, how many children, how many marriages, etc., ad infinitum.  Many seemed to be trying to understand why she wanted to live in the States—well, she has been married to an American for five years, their son is an American citizen, she does speak fluent American, she has worked for an American Oil & Gas multinational for the last eight years, she has already been to Houston on business and her favorite foods are pizza and barbecue. So, she has none of that normal Thai girl fear of the unknown or of being deprived of Thai people and things.

My take from this: I think assimilation to Thai ways and making Thai friends is the key to being accepted here. I believe Americans were stated as being the best, because I was an American and I was assimilating. The two who mentioned the German and the Spaniard may have actually had such friends or were simply trying to negate Americans as best—time and further research is needed to tell.

16 hours ago, mick220675 said:

If you have big money, why would you come to live or holiday in Thailand?

I have been lucky to earn good money but if it was all about money I would not be hear. As a evil scumbag Brit, hated by the world ( 2nd most hated people in the world after the evil Americans) I fit in well.  Thai people do not have any problems with me, I am liked in the village I live in.

Oh please, do not underestimate your self; I think the Brits are unsurpassed in being hated; mostly by their former colonies.

14 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Try dressing like a gentleman and acting your age, treating/speaking to people like people and not underlings, then you get respect - I too have been travelling Asia, pby more extensive than yourself, I have not experienced what you say - and I AM from the USA.

Ah, tunnel my man, I usually have your back. I do agree, " . . . treating/speaking to people like people and not underlings, then you get respect . . ." However, I seldom wear anything but shorts, t-shirts and clogs; unless riding long distances or attending some formal function. I gave up my suits and ties when I retired and I simply do not want to act my age; I am older than dirt.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, Skeptic7 said:

You are absolutely correct and it is exponentially true here in LOS...Land Of Snarls. It was great all trough the 90's and halfway thru 2000's, when there weren't many of us and we were still somewhat of a rarity. 

Can remember being in bars in 1991-1999 and many nights maybe a dozen cutomers. Choice of seating was at ones total preference. Now...standing room only. Thailand was also unknown and considered a bit scary &, "Wild West" to most and a secret kept from many/most, but the Internet (which I love) ruined all that.

IMO they are over us. Tourism is off the rails and even though establishments here are many plenty times more busy than back then...the employees are still paid basically the same shit for wages. They used to have a relatively simple days/nights work and get paid crap...now busy nonstop the entire shift and still paid crap. This country is a Tourist Trap now and the Thais have been inundated and overwhelmed, yet very few of the front line employees benefiting. :coffee1:

Hmmmmm.

If you think LOS wasn't a tourist trap back in the 90s you must have restricted the areas you visited.

The revolting "floating market" and the Rose Garden was probably on every tourist's itinerary while in Bkk.

Sure, it was different back then, but still loads of tourists.

As for areas not touristed now, I'm sure Issan will fit just fine.

Few foreign tourists in places like Chang Dow as well.

Conversely, some areas are far too over touristed, like Pattaya and Chiang Mai, White Temple etc.

Package tours to Thailand were at least from the early 70s, but IMO the rot started once the air industry was able to provide fares at low rates for the sheeple to travel en mass to foreign parts based only on pictures of hotels and swimming pools in travel agent brochures. None of them, IMO, have any interest in the country, other than a cheap souvenir to show their friends back home. 

Edited by thaibeachlovers

23 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

The internet has turned the whole world into blase, anti-social know-it-alls.

Thais generally like and respect Americans, although this has slipped considerably since Trump got into office.

In the 32 years since I first came to Thailand, I can't remember a time when I ever felt Thais kow-towed to foreigners. I think there was a time when tourism was taking off here, that people smiled more because the department of tourism indoctrinated people into behaving like welcoming hosts, and that this friendliness would pay off on the bottom line, but that's not the same thing as kow-towing.

While I understand that you don't like Trump, do not try and impart any similarity to Thais. I doubt Thais give more than a passing thought to him, and I have yet to be collared by a Thai that wishes to discuss Trump, let alone about how they hate him, or how they now dislike Americans because he is their president.

Honestly, it gets boring having the usual posters bringing Trump into every post, no matter if he is nothing to do with the OP.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Good point, and I am aware of the past atrocities of those governments. As I said in another post, it depends on where one is. I've seen plenty of disgusting behaviour in Pattaya when the US fleet docks there for R&R. No surprise the locals aren't smiling.

:cheesy:

The locals are overjoyed when the American navy turns up for R & R.

19 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

It's true that Americans as a whole have lost face by electing a Neanderthal president. What a change from when Obama was elected. By the way, how many self-righteous Europeans or Commonwealth citizens can claim they've elected an ethnic minority as head of state? Trump, too, shall pass, perhaps sooner than we think or dare hope. Anyway, Chiang Mai is my favorite Asian city and I find it as pleasant as it was five years ago except for the vast crowds of nouveau riche mainland Chinese. Have you heard how they loud they are esp in Dong Mueang Airport? I've been traveling internationally since 1960 (on my own since '69) and I've never seen or heard anything like it. You could hear them from 200 yards down the passageway and all the other passengers, Russians, Thais, whatever, were astonished. Anyway I'm in Ho Chi Minh City now with my gf, who likes to remind me that the Vietnamese have Chinese blood and that soon China will be the world's most powerful country, not my home country of the USA. But the Vietnamese have all been very nice to me in any case. Perhaps Thais share some of that Asian pride. I told her I don't mind about China as long as I don't have to live there (been there many times) and as long as we stand up to their meddling in our freedom of speech in the West.

It's true that Americans as a whole have lost face by electing a Neanderthal president. What a change from when Obama was elected.

:cheesy:x 100.

I actually lived in LOS during Obama's terms, and to say that local Thais gave him much thought would be an overstatement. 

Number of times I heard Thais mention Obama- ZERO.

Number of times I heard Thais mention Trump- ZERO.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I made no attempt at excusing their actions, only that the actions are not limited to Americans.  If I remember correctly, most Thais do not live in Pattaya. The point I thought we were discussing was whether or not Americans were especially bad among farangs in Thailand.

I do social research and decided to gather some data on this subject. So, let me relay this long story—read it or not.

Last night my wife, daughter-in-law, her girlfriend and I went to our favorite Thai live music venue and asked several Thais for their opinions of farangs. I realize this is anecdotal, but I wanted to gather some information. We started talking and sharing drinks with neighboring tables of Thais. I invited the band over for a drink during their break and gathered a few of the Thai customers around our table to join in. Some of their responses surprised me, but I believe I must tell you that I do not live in a tourist ghetto, I live in Hatyai, the largest city in the South of Thailand where you see few farangs and even fewer farang tourists. First, as expected, I was told all farangs were good. After a few more questions, stories and drinks, I was told the Thais appreciate farangs who try to assimilate to the Thai ways rather than those who bluster about demanding things their way. In response to which farangs are best, I drew some blank stares, as if to say, a farang is a farang. A couple of them responded they thought Americans were the best, mostly because of the American entertainment industry, but also because of the economic, educational and military alliances between the US and Thailand—however, by this time they had found out I was an American, so . . . . One other gave an example of a German as being the best, mostly from specific actions he made and the fact he spoke fluent Thai; another said Spaniards were the best because of a specific example who, like the German, spoke fluent Thai—again, assimilation to Thai ways seemed to be key. The questions began about me. The Thais were impressed that I knew some of the Thai songs, spoke a little of the language and, I think, because I drank Regency. That led some to say I was a good farang. However, I believe I am better accepted because my wife is not a Thai, she is a Filipina-American, and we chose to come live in Thailand. They were also impressed that my daughter-in-law is Thai, but were somewhat curious that she is awaiting her US immigrant visa to join our son in Florida. Then, the questions for my daughter-in-law began. The inevitable, how did she meet my son, what sort of work does she do, how many children, how many marriages, etc., ad infinitum.  Many seemed to be trying to understand why she wanted to live in the States—well, she has been married to an American for five years, their son is an American citizen, she does speak fluent American, she has worked for an American Oil & Gas multinational for the last eight years, she has already been to Houston on business and her favorite foods are pizza and barbecue. So, she has none of that normal Thai girl fear of the unknown or of being deprived of Thai people and things.

My take from this: I think assimilation to Thai ways and making Thai friends is the key to being accepted here. I believe Americans were stated as being the best, because I was an American and I was assimilating. The two who mentioned the German and the Spaniard may have actually had such friends or were simply trying to negate Americans as best—time and further research is needed to tell.

I agree with you assimilation is the key factor. I would not claim to be fully assimilated myself, as I certainly have different musical tastes to the Thais. Food - about 85% assimilated.

I am impressed you can drink Regency - I'm not brave enough to try Thai spirits again. The only time I did ( Hong Thong ) I had a bad hangover, and I simply don't have them with Scotch or bourbon.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmmm.

If you think LOS wasn't a tourist trap back in the 90s you must have restricted the areas you visited.

The revolting "floating market" and the Rose Garden was probably on every tourist's itinerary while in Bkk.

Sure, it was different back then, but still loads of tourists.

As for areas not touristed now, I'm sure Issan will fit just fine.

Few foreign tourists in places like Chang Dow as well.

Conversely, some areas are far too over touristed, like Pattaya and Chiang Mai, White Temple etc.

Package tours to Thailand were at least from the early 70s, but IMO the rot started once the air industry was able to provide fares at low rates for the sheeple to travel en mass to foreign parts based only on pictures of hotels and swimming pools in travel agent brochures. None of them, IMO, have any interest in the country, other than a cheap souvenir to show their friends back home. 

Hmmmm...Thailand was not a Tourist Trap back then. Didn't have enough tourists to qualify. And even if it was (which it wasn't), not the extreme TT it is now. In the aviation biz, the definition of Tourist Trap is...a place where the people don't give a shit if they ever see your face again. Thais did care back then and were thrilled when someone returned. Now they don't give a shit for ALL the accurate reasons in my first post.

And just to be crystal clear...i never for a second said there were no tourists or foreigners back then...just substantially fewer. 

As someone who's career was 35 years in the airline industry, I kinda-sort agree with your point about cheap air fares...but already covered that with the advent of The Internet. The Internet made everything cheaper, more accessible, more understood, more possible and e-z, etc...while allowing air carriers to literally ruin the travel agent gig. Eliminated the middle man 100%. Very few got that info from travel agents. The masses got it from The Internet. Everyone's personal travel agent at their fingertips...and free. Way more info, photos, more everything and just plain superior to any travel brochure in every possible way.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Oh please, do not underestimate your self; I think the Brits are unsurpassed in being hated; mostly by their former colonies.

We do enjoy giving them a belting in all areas of sport - most recently the Ashes.

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

As someone who's career was 35 years in the airline industry, I kinda-sort agree with your point about cheap air fares...but already covered that with the advent of The Internet. The Internet made everything cheaper, more accessible, more understood, more possible and e-z, etc...while allowing air carriers to literally ruin the travel agent gig. Eliminated the middle man 100%. Very few got that info from travel agents. The masses got it from The Internet. Everyone's personal travel agent at their fingertips...and free. Way more info, photos, more everything and just plain superior to any travel brochure in every possible way.

Could not agree more - why would you pay a travel agent a commission when you can do it all yourself with a laptop, printer or smartphone?

One very big travel agent in Australia was banned from advertising they had the cheapest fares because they only directed clients to airlines that paid them kickbacks. As soon as the ban expired, they were back at it again. Scum.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

We do enjoy giving them a belting in all areas of sport - most recently the Ashes.

or maybe because the brits tend to drink alot?  usa was a former colony and we have nothing against the brits. but the BRITISH royal family we americans cant see the value in them much

9 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

or maybe because the brits tend to drink alot?  usa was a former colony and we have nothing against the brits. but the BRITISH royal family we americans cant see the value in them much

Maybe you can't see the value ( neither can I ); however, the American press and social scene seems to go gaga whenever there is a British royal visiting.

As for the drinking, I'd probably do the same if I had to live there.

Edited by Lacessit

Just now, Lacessit said:

Maybe you can't see the value ( neither can I ); however, the American press and social scene seems to go gaga whenever there is a British royal visiting.

thats all the soap opera lovers in usa. i could care less about prince harry and his new wife. all they do is suck  money out of the brits hands. Now of course in Thailand its different the royal family especially the woman princess here is doing daily good for the people.