Allergic reaction to micro jellyfish

Chongalulu

We are in Ko Lanta on holiday and every time my wife swims in the Andaman Islands she gets an allergic reaction to the micro jellyfish that seem to abound with itching and redness that lasts for several days. I occasionally feel them but they have no effect. She wears a 2 piece long legged and sleeved speedo costume but being so small they seem to get everywhere. She has previously tried citrazine anti histamine tablets which most chemists offer as a remedy but seems to have little effect,and also a topical,cream Bethamthasone/Neomycin which provides some relief. I have just got Fexofenadine as a potential alternative to citrazine but wondered if there was a more effective treatment someone would know about.

Actually they’re microscopic and transparent jellyfish larvae, popularly known as “sea lice.” And when they get caught between your bathing suit and skin, they continue to sting. This stuff is expensive, but it seems to genuinely offer protection: Safe Sea. But it’s expensive and I don’t know if it’s sold in Thailand.

Both Cetirizine and Fexofenadine are prescribed for airborne allergies and will probably have little effect on inflammation or allergic reaction of the skin. What will work is Diphenhydramine HCL (Benadryl) which also relieves skin itch, rashes and hives. A lot of hospital ER's use it for such and it is readily available at drug stores and the small drug shops like "Pure" in Big C.  The pills are usually 25 mg each. You can also find it in a topical cream.  Diphenhydramine HCL is also a main ingredient in OTC sleep aids. So be aware. I keep both the pills and cream on hand. The cream is great for spot treatment of insect bites, the relief is within minutes.

There are micro jellyfish, that sting like a pin prick, plus many other types of jellyfish. I carry the vinegar, but doesnt help much. Ive been stung by big ones also, and mid size. I have sting on my legs that have been itching for years, maybe some day I will finely do something about it!

5 hours ago, billp said:

Actually they’re microscopic and transparent jellyfish larvae, popularly known as “sea lice.” And when they get caught between your bathing suit and skin, they continue to sting. This stuff is expensive, but it seems to genuinely offer protection: Safe Sea. But it’s expensive and I don’t know if it’s sold in Thailand.

Thank you,I have heard the sea lice version but thanks for clarifying the meaning. I don’t think it’s available here according to their website,but will note it when next in Europe.

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

I thought pee helped w jelly stings. No?

Back in 1997 all the friends from that eponymous television show trekked to the beach, only to witness a jellyfish sting Monica. In this episode, Joey remembered seeing a documentary that advised urinating on the sting to ease the pain. Monica agreed to try the treatment and it worked. Unfortunately, in the real world treating a jellyfish sting by urinating on it may actually cause someone in Monica's situation even more pain, rather than relief. Urine can actually aggravate the jellyfish's stingers into releasing more venom. This cure is, indeed, fiction.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-urinating/

Try product called Stingose, it's australian stuff and seems to work on bluebottles which are plentiful iin aussie waters just as other much more nasty critters like box jelly and irukandji jelly, both of them have potential to kill you. 

On 1/26/2018 at 2:26 PM, tonray said:

White vinegar will help with jellyfish stings... Maybe give it a try

I carry a bottle to the beach with me all the time, cheap enough in 7/11 and I have been many a pretty lady's hero over the past few months.  It is jelly season..........with rough tidal water coming onto the beach.

On 26/01/2018 at 7:04 PM, tweedledee2 said:

Both Cetirizine and Fexofenadine are prescribed for airborne allergies and will probably have little effect on inflammation or allergic reaction of the skin. What will work is Diphenhydramine HCL (Benadryl) which also relieves skin itch, rashes and hives. A lot of hospital ER's use it for such and it is readily available at drug stores and the small drug shops like "Pure" in Big C.  The pills are usually 25 mg each. You can also find it in a topical cream.  Diphenhydramine HCL is also a main ingredient in OTC sleep aids. So be aware. I keep both the pills and cream on hand. The cream is great for spot treatment of insect bites, the relief is within minutes.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately,I’ve tried several pharmacies and even a clinic on Lanta but it’s not available .

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately,I’ve tried several pharmacies and even a clinic on Lanta but it’s not available .

You must live in the sticks because I find that very unusual. From my experience, Diphenhydramine is readily available OTC at drug stores and I have even seen it for sale even in small grocery shops. Every time one of our children has a runny nose, my wife takes them to one of the local clinics. The Drs. always send her home with some. If you have been asking for the brand name "Benadryl" their reply will be "no have".  Try writing "Diphenhydramine" on a piece of paper and give this to the pharmacist.

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

You must live in the sticks because I find that very unusual. From my experience, Diphenhydramine is readily available OTC at drug stores and I have even seen it for sale even in small grocery shops. Every time one of our children has a runny nose, my wife takes them to one of the local clinics. The Drs. always send her home with some. If you have been asking for the brand name "Benadryl" their reply will be "no have".  Try writing "Diphenhydramine" on a piece of paper and give this to the pharmacist.

I’m on holiday in Ko Lanta and have shown them a snap of your post with Diphenhydramine written on it and all the names like Benadryl ,Codafen etc that I found in other posts associated. The clinic even looked it up to confirm they don’t stock it. I don’t know whether the situation has changed regarding stocking this drug or it’s peculiar to Ko Lanta?

Here's what you can do. Google "diphenhydramine thailand". The second listing is in Thai. Go to the website, show it to staff and ask where you can get it or go to a different clinic. Surely someone can tell you where to find it. I question why you include "Codafen" in your search, which is an oral cough syrup containing codeine (a controlled substance in Thailand) and an expectorate, neither of which are used to treat allergic reactions. 

On 28/01/2018 at 3:52 PM, tweedledee2 said:

Here's what you can do. Google "diphenhydramine thailand". The second listing is in Thai. Go to the website, show it to staff and ask where you can get it or go to a different clinic. Surely someone can tell you where to find it. I question why you include "Codafen" in your search, which is an oral cough syrup containing codeine (a controlled substance in Thailand) and an expectorate, neither of which are used to treat allergic reactions. 

After trying several more pharmacies I found one that had Diphenhydramine 25 mg. The pharmacist said 3 times per day but from previous threads one per day seemed the norm and there are no guidelines on the packet (my wife is Thai ) regarding dosage. I’m concerned not to exceed dose given drowsy effects.

8 hours ago, nchuckle said:

After trying several more pharmacies I found one that had Diphenhydramine 25 mg. The pharmacist said 3 times per day but from previous threads one per day seemed the norm and there are no guidelines on the packet (my wife is Thai ) regarding dosage. I’m concerned not to exceed dose given drowsy effects.

Google is your friend. You can find the answers to your concerns online. Per the directions on my Benadryl bottle. You can take every 4-6 hrs but not more than 6 times in a 24 hr period. Adult dosage is 1-2 tablets. 

Archived