SURVEY: Do you want Trump to finish his first term?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you WANT Trump to finish his first term?  

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A brilliant piece by the great columnist of the Irish Times, Fintan O'Toole. I have always enjoyed reading his articles but this hits the nail on the head (or is that the hammer on the nail - for one of our dear members ?  ). Anyone with a modicum of intelligence and even the slightest propensity for rational thinking should enjoy this thought provoking piece. Lengthy but worth it.

Fintan O’Toole: Trial runs for fascism are in full flow

To grasp what is going on in the world right now, we need to reflect on two things. One is that we are in a phase of trial runs. The other is that what is being trialled is fascism – a word that should be used carefully but not shirked when it is so clearly on the horizon. Forget “post-fascist” – what we are living with is pre-fascism.

It is easy to dismiss Donald Trump as an ignoramus, not least because he is. But he has an acute understanding of one thing: test marketing. He created himself in the gossip pages of the New York tabloids, where celebrity is manufactured by planting outrageous stories that you can later confirm or deny depending on how they go down. And he recreated himself in reality TV where the storylines can be adjusted according to the ratings. Put something out there, pull it back, adjust, go again.

Fascism doesn’t arise suddenly in an existing democracy. It is not easy to get people to give up their ideas of freedom and civility. You have to do trial runs that, if they are done well, serve two purposes. They get people used to something they may initially recoil from; and they allow you to refine and calibrate. This is what is happening now and we would be fools not to see it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-trial-runs-for-fascism-are-in-full-flow-1.3543375

Edited by Andaman Al
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2018 at 2:00 PM, heybruce said:

The economy was doing fine before Trump, and his only Supreme Court nomination is appalling.

Rotten to the core doesn't begin to describe Trump.

Actually, this is his second nomination. He can't be worse than the first. Both will be nightmares for American workers.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:50 PM, alocacoc said:

Do Dems still hope Mueller will find something? Wow.

I thought Stormy was their last hope. BTW, she got arrested...

Who's next? Tiffy?

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

Keep up! 

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/charges-against-adult-film-star-stormy-daniels-have-been-droppedthe-39yearold-allegedly-touched-patrons-while-performing-at-a-strip-club-in-ohioms-daniels-attorney-michael-avenatti-believes-the-arrest-was-politically-motivated-and-demanded/video/9b50d14f466ebd212c001336fdc29fe8

• Like 1

Ooooh LOOK. a nothing burger !

12 Russians indicted in Mueller investigation

The Justice Department announced indictments in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election against 12 Russian nationals and accused of them of engaging in a "sustained effort to hack into the computer networks" of the DCCC, the DNC and "the presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton and release that information on the internet under the names DCLeaks and Guccifer 2.0 and through another entity."

All 12 defendants are members of the GRU, a Russian federation intelligence agency within the main intelligence directorate of the Russian military, who were acting in "their official capacities."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/13/politics/russia-investigation-indictments/index.html

Now then, timing is perfect. If Trump smiles and backslaps Putin he should be impeached immediately. The nemesis is coming Trump supporters. A witch hunt eh!

I am quite sure by tonight Rachel Maddow will have all the names and be making all the links between Russians and Americans. Popcorn!!!!

Edited by Andaman Al
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't know much about Strzok, person or character, except in the context that he was initially on the Muehler's russian instigation team, but for his tweets to his staff/gf disparaging Trump, he was sent away. Fair enough. 

However after watching the hearing last night, to borrow Strzok's phrase "it says more about you and your character and what's going (on) inside you..." Strzok inadvertently has lifted the curtain for the whole world to see what the (American) Congress has become: a circus, with a bunch of fumbling clowns stripping/bashing over one another, not unlike children in a day care center, arguing over what rules to play among themselves. It's "survival of the loudest!" Gone are the composure, etiquette and intellect worthy of the Legislative branch of our government. The hearing practically tied Strzok to the stake, with (mostly Rep) committee members throwing verbal gabbage after gabbage at the man, giving him at most 5 seconds to answer each quarter-hour tirade. 

I'm having PTSD simply from the recollection that we (the American people) have voted for these clowns!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/13/politics/russia-investigation-indictments/index.html

Now then, timing is perfect. If Trump smiles and backslaps Putin he should be impeached immediately. The nemesis is coming Trump supporters. A witch hunt eh!

I am quite sure by tonight Rachel Maddow will have all the names and be making all the links between Russians and Americans. Popcorn!!!!

Impeccable sense of timing by Mr Mueller. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

The Russuan meddling in the election while Obama was president is not being disputed. The facts are, there is no evidence of collusion by Trump. There’s a lot of smoke, but still no fire. 

I’ve heard liberals say for over a year...it’s coming, but it just never does. 

17 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

The Russuan meddling in the election while Obama was president is not being disputed. The facts are, there is no evidence of collusion by Trump. There’s a lot of smoke, but still no fire. 

yet

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

So....you think it matters if Trump is a useful idiot rather than a knowledgeable accomplist?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

As a retired USAF officer, the son of a Navy brat, and the brother of a disabled Gulf War vet who takes great pride in his service, I can't begin to describe my joy in Mueller's work to expose the efforts of a hostile power attempting to undermine the constitutional democracy I have sworn to uphold.

To the Trumpies who put their cult loyalty to a reality TV buffoon ahead of their nation, the kindest words I can get away with are "Screw you traitors!"

Well said Sir, you are an officer and a gentleman.

7 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

The point is all of this amounts to nothing without a conviction. Charges are easy to bring. But keep talking about the what if’s, if it makes you feel good. 

it amounts to the american voter being enlightened as to what kind of traitorous  creatures they elected

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

The point is all of this amounts to nothing without a conviction. Charges are easy to bring. But keep talking about the what if’s, if it makes you feel good. 

Here we agree:  Let the investigation continue and the rule of law prevail.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

Isn’t that what you were implying? Please refer to your post. #3407. It’s the one I quoted previously. 

nope. the traitorous behaviour of republican politicians is far more widespread than that subject matter.

22 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

The fact is Trump is not guilty of any crimes.

Well n the same vein neither is Weinstein But we all know he is going down.

Neither is Hillary Clinton but you all call her a criminal.

Trump will end up being guilty of a list of crimes as long as your arm and the Republican party - the "law and order party" will try and give him a free pass, because..............well just because............

What was it in the Military "God, Country, Corps"

Current Republican Party . "God, Party, Country"

Did someone mention traitors before?......I think they were bang on the money.

Edited by Andaman Al

It might be that your taking a lead from Strzok in that answer. 

Strzok first said he didn’t mean that he had affected the investigation, then said he didn’t remember sending the text, after explaining he sent it late at night.

I suggest you take that up with Strzok

It might be that your taking a lead from Strzok in that answer. 

Strzok first said he didn’t mean that he had affected the investigation, then said he didn’t remember sending the text, after explaining he sent it late at night.

You are completely disingenuous just like the Congressmen (it is an embarrassment they hold that title) who displayed themselves yesterday as utter fools lacking even the slightest integrity at the Congressional hearing.

Learn and watch with Strzok what a real American Patriot is. He has done more to protect his country and the American people than anyone on here ever will.

• Like 2

The coverage on Fox of the Russians who have been indicted is absolutely disgusting. This is painful to watch. We actually have these people defending the Russians and making this out to be nothing. This is what the USA has come to. It is an utter disgrace. This is how the Trump supporters are enabling the down fall of a once great nation. Traitors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

The last twenty five  indictments were post-faced with the words that these indictments do not include any involvement by Americans.  I expect that this will be the last time we will hear this statement and the next round of indictments will include Americans and possibly some of the President's inner circle and immediate family.  It could be one reason that the DOJ has not yet indicted those individuals as it will cause extreme anger in Trump and he will immediately sharpen his pardon pencil and  the put in motion the firing of Mueller and Rosenstein!

Edited by wayned

12 minutes ago, wayned said:
46 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

The last twenty five  indictments were post-faced with the words that these indictments do not include any involvement by Americans.  I expect that this will be the last time we will hear this statement and the next round of indictments will include Americans and possibly some of the President's inner circle and immediate family.  It could be one reason that the DOJ has not yet indicted those individuals as it will cause extreme anger in Trump and he will immediately sharpen his pardon pencil and  the put in motion the firing of Mueller and Rosenstein!

For the record that is not my quote, nor would those words ever come out of my mouth. That was stated by Bushdoctor.

17 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

For the record that is not my quote, nor would those words ever come out of my mouth. That was stated by Bushdoctor.

For the record I did not search to see who made the original quote.  I thought that I jusy copied and pasted it in but when it came up it showed you as the "originator".  Sorry that I misquoted you,, but  my response stands!

9 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

But... But... But... 

9 hours ago, bushdoctor said:

The Russuan meddling in the election while Obama was president is not being disputed. The facts are, there is no evidence of collusion by Trump. 

Oh, it's coming. Justice has no expiry date.

• Like 1

Decent Americans (as opposed to "trump" fans) should not ever normalize the RACIST "trump" regime.

“Don, I hate these conversations because it forces Republicans to confront a reality that I believe, which is this president is racist,” he continued. “We can’t forgive it. We can’t normalize it. We can’t suggest that he can be the figure of a party that we subscribe to. It’s heartbreaking.”

David Jolly

Former REPUBLICAN congressman

• Like 1