Authorities aware of ‘dangerous’ Highway 7 toll booth

Rimmer

Authorities aware of ‘dangerous’ Highway 7 toll booth

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya-area motorists are complaining about the setup of a new Highway 7 toll booth, saying the current system requires drivers return their ticket in the middle lane, then quickly cut left to get off in Nongprue.

Authorities reportedly are aware of the claims that the current setup is dangerous.

Pol. Col. Jirawut Thankasri, the Nongprue police chief, told reporters Jan. 18 said he already has alerted the Highways Department and that he has assigned traffic police to assist motorists until the toll system is reorganized.

He said there have been no reported accidents so far, but admitted the setup is risky.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-01-28

Last night coming to Pattaya from BKK airport is the first time I've been on Hwy 7 at night in many years. I always arrive in daylight. I could not believe how dark the toll gate areas are and how curvy and non-systematic the entry and exit roads are. It's a good thing the taxi driver knew the roads and toll gates. Lots of potential for accidents.

I don't do the journey very often but I do believe it is possible to get off Highway 7 some kms before the tolls if you want to get to the Nongprue area and avoid the tolls, there is a road that runs parallel with the 7, you just have to be in the left hand lane and look for all the buses, trucks, taxis & those that know the area turning left off the motorway at an unsigned exit. :wink:

That is if they haven't blocked it off by now.

And no, before all the knockers start about saving a paltry 100 baht or what ever the toll is, it's cos I live on that side of town :smile: 

54 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't do the journey very often but I do believe it is possible to get off Highway 7 some kms before the tolls if you want to get to the Nongprue area and avoid the tolls, there is a road that runs parallel with the 7, you just have to be in the left hand lane and look for all the buses, trucks, taxis & those that know the area turning left off the motorway at an unsigned exit. :wink:

That is if they haven't blocked it off by now.

And no, before all the knockers start about saving a paltry 100 baht or what ever the toll is, it's cos I live on that side of town :smile: 

The final toll gates are in Nongprue not all that far from Moo1. Nongprue is a huge area stretching to Jomtien.

I go between Chonburi City and Nongprue M1 TOT station at least once a fortnight and see that all exits are covered by a toll gates and there will be no way to avoid payment.

Edited by maxpower

1 minute ago, maxpower said:

The final toll gates are in Nongprue not all that far from Moo1. Nongprue is a huge area stretching to Jomtien.

I go between Chonburi City and Nongprue M1 TOT station at least once a fortnight and see that all exists are covered by a toll gates and there will be no way to avoid payment.

As I said I don't do the trip that often, last time was back in September, but I'm pretty sure that there are (unofficial) gaps in the concrete barrier that divides the highway from the minor road to the left, last time I came that way I saw plenty of vehicles turning off and onto the minor road. Perhaps, as you do the journey fairly often you could have a look and report back on your next trip. :wink: It's similar to the turn off at Nongprue coming from the Suk where you get off at that Castle type building by the flyover, only this one isn't signposted :smile:

36 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

As I said I don't do the trip that often, last time was back in September, but I'm pretty sure that there are (unofficial) gaps in the concrete barrier that divides the highway from the minor road to the left, last time I came that way I saw plenty of vehicles turning off and onto the minor road. Perhaps, as you do the journey fairly often you could have a look and report back on your next trip. :wink: It's similar to the turn off at Nongprue coming from the Suk where you get off at that Castle type building by the flyover, only this one isn't signposted :smile:

You probably remember the many exits starting back at highway 36 which made it possible to sneak along the service road. Most are closed off now leaving many businesses without customers.

I will take a look next week see if there are any sneaky exits left. 

The final toll gate area is still a confusing mess when you exit for Nongprue Market area and typical of a Thai Highways Dept showpiece office that leaves its surrounding roads unfinished.