Dogs in Thailand are quite ugly and neglected

davidst01

Everywhere I drive I see ugly looking dogs. I like dogs so don't get me wrong. I adopted a soi dog 3 yrs ago. But everywhere I go I see neglected and sad looking street dogs. 

At my work I recently saw a bitch on heat with 6 of the roughest / ugliest male dogs surrounding her. I should have taken a photo as it was quite funny to be honest. 

I walk my dog every night and morning. In 5 yrs Ive only ever seen 1 thai person walking their dog on a regular basis. IMHO Thai people have NO idea about dogs.... The silly old lady 2 doors up from me added 2 more dogs to her yard a few months ago. Now she has 4 that just hang around the inside of her gate and never get a walk outside. <deleted>...

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

At my work I recently saw a bitch on heat with 6 of the roughest / ugliest male dogs surrounding her. I should have taken a photo as it was quite funny to be honest

Already plenty of photos on the net of the action around Soi Cowboy

I gotta agree.

I have a lovely female neighbor with a Shih Tzu. She's every day in front of my for (the dog unfortunately) waiting to be fed. 

I never really liked small dogs, but she's really lovely and funny (the dog, not a neighbor). I know she's really affectionate to me because I give her food (the dog, not neighbor), but what can I do?

Is it safe to treat dogs with cream cheese? She loves it.

Everywhere I drive I see ugly looking dogs. I like dogs so don't get me wrong. I adopted a soi dog 3 yrs ago. But everywhere I go I see neglected and sad looking street dogs. 

At my work I recently saw a bitch on heat with 6 of the roughest / ugliest male dogs surrounding her. I should have taken a photo as it was quite funny to be honest. 

I walk my dog every night and morning. In 5 yrs Ive only ever seen 1 thai person walking their dog on a regular basis. IMHO Thai people have NO idea about dogs.... The silly old lady 2 doors up from me added 2 more dogs to her yard a few months ago. Now she has 4 that just hang around the inside of her gate and never get a walk outside. ...

Same in my Moobahn, pretty much everyone has at least one dog, one house a few doors down has 4 dogs but nobody walks them ever ! except for one guy who rides his bike round the neighbourhood dragging a fat beagle with him.

Next door neighbour has an old Golden Retriever that’s left alone from early till late and the smell of urine and feces is strong when the wind blows our way.

Over the soi a couple have a pitbull that also never leaves the yard ( probably a good idea ! ) but the lady owner doesn’t work and “ plays “ with it by taunting it with a plastic bottle hanging from a stick and one of those washing/clothes stands !!

Maybe with all the soi dogs roaming around it’s not too easy to safely walk your pet ? I dunno , just a thought .

I think a lot of it is down to laziness, and yes, just not really caring. Has that come about due to other variables over the years such as disease, lack of knowledge resulting in fearful aggressive behaviour etc...possibly/possibly not.

Many Thai leave their dogs to roam the streets (so to them get the required exercise), and the ones who don't are sometimes of the belief that if you lock your dog it will be a better guard dog.

Walk my dogs daily, but what can it involve. Having packs of dogs running and circling you barking. Unless people are used to dogs, and their own dogs can handle such situations without too much of a shift in emotion then it's more effort than its worth for many.

Education is important. The Mrs family love and play with my dogs, but won't play with their own dogs (although at least treat them). Purely a difference in the way the dogs had been brought up (actually being a real member of the family). The Mrs originally didn't really care all that much, but even surprised me last week when she had to spend time in hospital giving birth to our son and said she missed the dogs.

what i want to know is why isn't the Thai government not concerned about this problem.  there needs to be a cull or neuter/vaccination program for these stray soi dogs.  was bitten a few years ago by a temple dog and had to be treated with a series of rabies shots to play it safe.  i took the hospital bill to the monk and asked for compensation.  he laughed.  typical. no capability as usual.  on Bali the government regularly enforces such programs.  they also have very strict quarantine regulations for bringing pets onto the island.  could not get my kitty in.  my boy has to stay in LOS while i am gone

Edited by malibukid

50 minutes ago, malibukid said:

what i want to know is why isn't the Thai government not concerned about this problem.  there needs to be a cull or neuter/vaccination program for these stray soi dogs.  was bitten a few years ago by a temple dog and had to be treated with a series of rabies shots to play it safe.  i took the hospital bill to the monk and asked for compensation.  he laughed.  typical. no capability as usual.  on Bali the government regularly enforces such programs.  they also have very strict quarantine regulations for bringing pets onto the island.  could not get my kitty in.  my boy has to stay in LOS while i am gone

They do have vaccination programs in higher risk areas and keep records of what household dogs have been vaccinated (April-May and September-October). Before vets did it, but now the government has finally got into second gear (due to this 2020 goal) and has trained local government departments to do it. So it would depend on where you live and whether the area has been declared rabies free or not. According to Khon Kaen University, the estimated dog vaccine coverage is 78%. I personally believe if they tagged/tattooed the stray dogs they vaccinated and vaccinated them every 3 years rather than annually, that percentage would be much higher (as budgets/vaccines would go a lot further). 

The doctors will always give you rabies shots after a bite as it is not uncommon for Thai to drive to other provinces to dump dogs (better to be safe than sorry). Most of the rabies fatalities (>99%) in the country have not received the post shots.  

The government is concerned and used to act more aggressively. Then a group of do-gooders lobbied against the rounding up of dogs on grounds of cruelty. Which was a nice idea, just not an idea well thought out as no other solutions were offered re control of population, disease etc. In terms of neutering, budgets only extend so far and a lot of Thai people probably would put pressure on the government to spend the money on the people, not the dogs, so it is quite complicated. 

Edited by wildewillie89

Dogs ugly here? Sure, for 2 reasons:

1. soi dogs won't look nice in any country, but because they go completely unchecked here the dogs you see are like 5th generation soi dogs and every generation they become more ugly.

2. diseases; many of those dogs have skin and parasite problems making them even more ugly (open wounds, bald spots, etc).

Not taking care of their dogs? 

Sure, mostly because Thais like a cute puppy but don't accept responsibility for caring and training it. They give it rice, don't walk their dog, don't train their dog, don't give a toss about their dog.

The Thai interpretation of buddhism also doesn't help where it is wrong to kill an animal but its okay to let it die a slow and painful death. You can even gain some karma if you can prolong the suffering by feeding it bad food to keep an animal alive a bit longer.

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Dogs ugly here? Sure, for 2 reasons:

1. soi dogs won't look nice in any country, but because they go completely unchecked here the dogs you see are like 5th generation soi dogs and every generation they become more ugly.

2. diseases; many of those dogs have skin and parasite problems making them even more ugly (open wounds, bald spots, etc).

Not taking care of their dogs? 

Sure, mostly because Thais like a cute puppy but don't accept responsibility for caring and training it. They give it rice, don't walk their dog, don't train their dog, don't give a toss about their dog.

The Thai interpretation of buddhism also doesn't help where it is wrong to kill an animal but its okay to let it die a slow and painful death. You can even gain some karma if you can prolong the suffering by feeding it bad food to keep an animal alive a bit longer.

religion sucks, responsible for more suffering and wars through the ages

Edited by malibukid

Everyone seems to love the dogs when they are puppies and then just let them roam free when they grow, to return home each night or not, and sometimes to get fed, or not. They don’t seem to believe in teaching the dogs anything, and just kind of yell at them. We have a friend with a shitzhu that is full grown and she have never house broken it. When it comes inside or travels she puts a diaper on it.

The local post office/bill paying office guy had a pretty good sized dog and it attempted to attack of friend of mine, who jumped into the back of his pickup to avoid being bitten. That was the last time he ever visited that guy for business. The business owner couldn’t understand and wondered why my friend just did not bring a stick with him when he needed to do business with the guy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Considering how infected they are, how many skin issues they have, the fearful environment they live in (being beaten every day) and how many directions the one leg is pointing in, I think many look quite happy (when not having to interact with humans or cars). The diet is shocking, but on the plus side as feeding times are not adhered to the dogs are quite lean - which is probably helping prevent many of the health issues dogs back home are plagued with. 

Dogs are social animals, so even with all the pain dogs are in, it is a good chance they are probably happier roaming than being locked up with the walk each day. Especially if owners do not spend a lot of time with their dogs (nearly always the case) or only have the one dog. Obviously the health benefits of keeping dogs away from street dogs outweigh doing this, but if we are strictly talking happiness/'sad looking'. 

In terms of looks, just look what show breeding has done to many breeds now in farang land - many struggle to even walk and breathe now (street dogs match up quite well). I will be the first to admit one of my breeds isn't regarded as what people consider pretty, but as I am not sleeping with him, what difference does it make how he looks? 

The greatest act of love for these pitiful animals would be putting them to death. Thailand is certainly not the worst animal rights offender, but for a people who, ostensibly, love animals, there is no excuse for what I see daily.

20 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I gotta agree.

I have a lovely female neighbor with a Shih Tzu. She's every day in front of my for (the dog unfortunately) waiting to be fed. 

I never really liked small dogs, but she's really lovely and funny (the dog, not a neighbor). I know she's really affectionate to me because I give her food (the dog, not neighbor), but what can I do?

Is it safe to treat dogs with cream cheese? She loves it.

Happy Cow makes puppies and Thai kids happy............

2 hours ago, Jools said:

The greatest act of love for these pitiful animals would be putting them to death. Thailand is certainly not the worst animal rights offender, but for a people who, ostensibly, love animals, there is no excuse for what I see daily.

There was a picture in a Vietnamese newspaper last week of about 900 live dogs in a crocodile farm in the Mekong Delta region, all from Thailand, the Croc farmer reckons he gets 10-15,000 dogs a year from Thailand boats to feed his crocodiles, police are scratching their heads because they can't find a maJOR law against it.  The dogs are killed, frozen and stored until dinner time.   

Yes, Vietnamese eat dogs, but they are specially bred for this purpose, not just any soi dog will be eaten, there are farms that breed dogs for ceremonies, weddings, funerals etc etc etc, and they are not cheap.