Dealer told me new bike can't be registered in my name

Goldbear

Hi everyone. I went to a Honda dealership in kanchanaburi today to inquire about getting a Honda CRF250L. There was no one who spoke English there so they put me on the phone with a woman who did. She said that the motorcycle could only be registered to a Thai person. I told her that I looked into buying the bike in Pattaya and that they didn't say anything about that. She said that I could buy it but that it would have to be registered in a Thai person's name. She said this is a Thai government rule. 

I've never heard of any such thing. Does anyone out there know what the rule is, if any? 

Thanks a lot.

That's BS. I have a car and bike in my name in the green rego book. Go to another shop. New cars/bike easy as they put you straight in the green book. Just need a copy of passport and work permit if you have it. Even second hand is not hard to change it over. 

Edited by Covertjay
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Covertjay said:

That's BS. I have a car and bike in my name in the green rego book. Go to another shop. New cars/bike easy as they put you straight in the green book. Just need a copy of passport and work permit if you have it. Even second hand is not hard to change it over. 

I have 3 motorbikes registered in my name, one second hand, no problem to have in your own name.

• Like 2

Or Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Probablly a lost in translation thing as bikes/cars can be  registered to a foreigner name. The local DLT may have specific requirements but usually a work permit or certificate of residence, letter from consulate for address etc.

The "only Thai" may be because you are only visiting the area (cant get a COR), they think you want finance etc.

A remote possibility its a very remote dealership and they have never had a foreign customer and are blissfully unaware.

Maybe use the forum sponsor. sumetcycle in Bangkok. I think Brian has more than a little experience with this.

I've bought 2 motorcycles from the local Honda dealer in Trat. Other than the usual ton of photocopies and a letter of residence from immigration no problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I may have to use a different dealership though it seems that in this town each Honda dealership specializes in something different. 

I do have the correct Visa and can get a certificate of residence. I told her that and she understood. She said that they would sell the bike but then I would have to have it in a Thai person's name. 

I had a foreigner try to tell me the same thing once so it makes me think that at one time there was a rule like that. If anyone knows the history I would like to hear it. 

Take care and have a good day. Thanks again. 

You can buy the bike and get it registered at your local DLT yourself. In this case try to get help from a Thai person to make sure you get the correct documents from the dealer

My first car in Thailand was registered in my own name 1998 without difficulties.

Edited by fertilizer
added information
  • Like 2

On 30/01/2018 at 10:27 AM, drift said:

Maybe use the forum sponsor. sumetcycle in Bangkok. I think Brian has more than a little experience with this.

I've bought 2 motorcycles from the local Honda dealer in Trat. Other than the usual ton of photocopies and a letter of residence from immigration no problem.

I bought mine from Brian in my own name, no problem.

• Like 1

Total road of borrocks.... loads of foreigners here have them registered in their own names. I am not sure what her angle here is... does it cost the dealer less to transfer to a Thai than to a foreigner? 

Edited by tolsti

You can definitely register a new bike (or any bike) in your name.

The woman may have been unsure so defaulted to "cannot". Alternatively she may have had a negative experience before trying to register a bike in a foreigner's name (maybe incomplete documents) so decided it could not be done.

Generally, the dealership employees like it easy so they use this gambit of Thai ownership for westerners.  If it is not a problem then it works fine and you're out the door.    Cheers mate on the pegs...

• Haha 1