EU offers Brexit transition, but UK must 'accept rules'

webfact

EU offers Brexit transition, but UK must 'accept rules'

By Gabriela Baczynska and Alastair Macdonald

2018-01-29T150419Z_1_LYNXMPEE0S144_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

European Union's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier attends a meeting of European Union Home/European affairs ministers in Brussels, Belgium January 29, 2018. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union offered on Monday to let Britain keep its membership benefits for 21 months after Brexit to help businesses adapt but it rejected the idea that London could block new EU laws during the transition.

Ministers from the 27 other states took just two minutes in Brussels to endorse new instructions to their negotiator Michel Barnier, who will launch talks soon with the aim of sealing a transition package within a couple of months.

The rapid sign-off was a fresh demonstration of the unity they showed in pushing embattled British Prime Minister Theresa May into agreeing outline divorce terms a month ago and a signal of how far they believe they hold the whip hand.

May's spokesman welcomed the EU agreement, saying it was in line with Britain's aims, though several differences remained.

One difference aired in recent days as May tries to hold rival wings of her party together has been a suggestion by Brexit Secretary David Davis that Britain should have a way to "resolve concerns" it had on new EU laws passed once it has no vote.

Pressed on how that might work, Barnier said the offer was principally in Britain's interests and not open to significant negotiation:

"The United Kingdom must acknowledge these rules of the game and accept them from the outset," he told reporters.

"Otherwise ... there would be a kind of a la carte single market. That is not possible."

Italy's EU affairs minister Sandro Gozi, often sympathetic to Britain, was blunter: "If you leave, you leave."

EU diplomats also dismissed the idea of Britain having a veto over EU laws after it leaves on March 29 next year, although the transition offer does give London a chance to air its views in EU meetings where its interests are at stake -- and notably on issues of immediate economic impact, such as EU fishing quotas.

The pace of EU legislation is slow enough that little which might be decided in the 21 months could be forced on Britain before it had fully left the system on Dec. 31, 2020.

CALL TO MAY

By that time, both sides hope to be able to enact a free trade accord to keep goods and services flowing, albeit leaving Britain outside the EU single market and customs union.

Barnier said this timetable was still subject to May and her ministers agreeing a plan among themselves and presenting it to Brussels -- and also depends on finalising many issues on the divorce treaty.

While Britain agreed to pay tens of billions of euros into EU coffers on leaving and to give lifetime rights to Europeans living there, many issues have yet to be settled, including the power of the EU courts over the treaty and how the EU-UK border across the island of Ireland will be kept "invisible".

Barnier said: "I want to remind you, without agreement on all the withdrawal issues, there is no transition."

He also made clear that talks on the future relationship might start after an EU summit in late March -- but only if May spells out what she wants in time for Brussels to put together its own responses. An outline trade package could then be agreed by the time the divorce and transition deal is ready in October.

Showing some willingness to be flexible, the EU ministers are open to extending the transition period if need be to reach a trade pact -- though Barnier warned it could not be very long -- and also voiced a will to endorse Britain concluding trade agreements with other countries before the transition ends.

(Additional reporting by Robert-Jan Bartunek, Samantha Koester, Philip Blenkinsop and Alastair Macdonald; Editing by Mark Heinrich and Robin Pomeroy)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-30

After the Brexit vote, there was a lot of comments by bexiters "We are exceptional nation. EU needs us, they will never let us go." etc. Looks like they were not correct.

Well, it seems that EU is now trying to push UK to get its act together and get forward with the exit. 

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

Italy's EU affairs minister Sandro Gozi, often sympathetic to Britain, was blunter: "If you leave, you leave."

Dictating to the very end, May needs to get a pair and show what she is made of - walk away, lets see how long it takes for the 27 to reach any agreement then, I suspect things will get rather more difficult when they are no longer in the driving seat

I am honestly sick and tired of these meat heads giving orders

Well if you are to believe the Telegraph TM is going to give the EU the middle finger.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/01/29/theresa-may-reject-eu-transition-offer-fight-citizens-rights/

I will believe it when I see it but when will she start to deliver the Referendum promise and stop farting about. If she can't do it (which I don't think she can) step aside and let someone who will.

56 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well if you are to believe the Telegraph TM is going to give the EU the middle finger.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/01/29/theresa-may-reject-eu-transition-offer-fight-citizens-rights/

I will believe it when I see it but when will she start to deliver the Referendum promise and stop farting about. If she can't do it (which I don't think she can) step aside and let someone who will.

Interesting

I am actually starting to think that TM is working with Brussels, I would honestly be embarrassed if I was in TM shoes, she really is bending over and taking it firmly, that wouldn't be so bad except that she is representing the interests of all the UK people and when she takes it .......... we are all taking it and it truly is painful

As soon as Brussels started making demands  like they did last year I would have just walked away, the UK is leaving the EU not the EU leaving the UK

36 minutes ago, smedly said:

I am actually starting to think that TM is working with Brussels, I would honestly be embarrassed if I was in TM shoes, she really is bending over and taking it firmly, that wouldn't be so bad except that she is representing the interests of all the UK people and when she takes it .......... we are all taking it and it truly is painful

As soon as Brussels started making demands  like they did last year I would have just walked away, the UK is leaving the EU not the EU leaving the UK

I totally agree with you. The sooner she goes along with Hammond the better as they are determined to keep the UK in the EU for as long as possible and clearly are ignoring the vote.

The EU is an undemocratic bully and it's main weapon is trade. Their conditions are ludicrous and no sane country would/should be expected to accept them. Barnier is the embodiment of the sneering intransigent French aristocracy and those who hold sway in Brussels. Looks like the UK will end up a vassal state of the EU with no voting rights being to what to do, forced to accept laws, and threatened over trade for a very long time....way longer than any transitional deal will last. Pfft to them all....good riddance when it finally happens.  

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Dictating to the very end, May needs to get a pair and show what she is made of - walk away, lets see how long it takes for the 27 to reach any agreement then, I suspect things will get rather more difficult when they are no longer in the driving seat

46 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I totally agree with you. The sooner she goes along with Hammond the better as they are determined to keep the UK in the EU for as long as possible and clearly are ignoring the vote.

A very strange comment. It is the UK that want to remain for longer in the EU common market. Not the other way round

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Maybe the PM won't "walk away" because it would mean an 8% fall in the British economy for up to 15 years.  As the PM, May has to try to limit the negative effects of Brexit not extend them.

As for the EU giving orders they are not.  They are saying what they have said all along.  Britain went along and asked for a transition period.  They said that they would go along with that request and for that period the UK would stay in the single market (which they wanted) as long as they abided by all the EU rules they abide by now.  Obviously, because we will have left the EU, we will have no seat at the table. None of this is rocket science and there has been no change in the EU's position.

21 minutes ago, gamini said:

A very strange comment. It is the UK that want to remain for longer in the EU common market. Not the other way round

Blinkers are on I am afraid.  We keep trying to get through to those who still think that the EU are the enemy but their heads are buried deep in the sand!

47 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Maybe the PM won't "walk away" because it would mean an 8% fall in the British economy for up to 15 years.  As the PM, May has to try to limit the negative effects of Brexit not extend them.

As for the EU giving orders they are not.  They are saying what they have said all along.  Britain went along and asked for a transition period.  They said that they would go along with that request and for that period the UK would stay in the single market (which they wanted) as long as they abided by all the EU rules they abide by now.  Obviously, because we will have left the EU, we will have no seat at the table. None of this is rocket science and there has been no change in the EU's position.

ha ha, these forecasts are highly unreliable and also an 8% drop over 15 years is not exactly devastating even if it was accurate, it's around 0.5% per year, don't you just love how the media report these stories to be as dramatic as possible, it also does not include any future new trade deals

you buy this media stuff hook line and sinker 

37 minutes ago, smedly said:

ha ha, these forecasts are highly unreliable and also an 8% drop over 15 years is not exactly devastating even if it was accurate, it's around 0.5% per year, don't you just love how the media report these stories to be as dramatic as possible, it also does not include any future new trade deals

you buy this media stuff hook line and sinker 

Who do you think commissioned this GOVERNMENT report?  Well it was David Davis and the figures are there to be seen verbatim.  Not from the media but the actual report.  You continue to be in denial my friend, but that is OK, you are not alone.  I am a constant critic of the media and their sensationalist reporting but the evidence in this case isn't being denied by anyone other than Rees-Mogg and IDS.   As I said the government response is that they are seeking a "bespoke deal" and they hope that that will be more favourable to the UK.  You may be in denial but the government spokesman isn't.

11 hours ago, oilinki said:

After the Brexit vote, there was a lot of comments by bexiters "We are exceptional nation. EU needs us, they will never let us go." etc. Looks like they were not correct.

Well, it seems that EU is now trying to push UK to get its act together and get forward with the exit. 

Juncker made the "if your're out your're out" comment quickly after the Brexit result. Now he, like Tusk and Macron are stating it can be reversed and there would be no problem withdrawing Article 50 and staying in. 

So no, I don't think your interpretation is correct. Although based on your many previous anti Britain posts understandable.

You might worry more about when your country is annexed by Mr. Putin and if the EU will do much about that.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Juncker made the "if your're out your're out" comment quickly after the Brexit result. Now he, like Tusk and Macron are stating it can be reversed and there would be no problem withdrawing Article 50 and staying in. 

Yes that is true.  The EU doesn't want the UK to leave.  We are a major player and contributor and would leave  a real hole.  It was Britain who said "we are leaving".  However we thought that we could cut a deal and keep all the good bits and trade deals and dump the bits we didn't like.  Totally understandable as everyone would have that goal.

The EU is then put in a position where if they agree to the UK's demands then that would further weaken their own position and open the door for other countries to make similar demands and possibly leave.  Before the referendum they made it clear that they would make it as difficult and unattractive as they could for Britain to leave so nobody should be surprised by their current position.  It's exactly what we would have done in their position.  

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Blinkers are on I am afraid.  We keep trying to get through to those who still think that the EU are the enemy but their heads are buried deep in the sand!

Who are you referring to when you say "we"?

Please don't include me in your small group.

12 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Ministers from the 27 other states took just two minutes in Brussels to endorse new instructions to their negotiator Michel Barnier,...

Only 2 minutes, this must be a new record.

Only to be exceeded by the EU parliament who rubber stamp a batch of multiple regulations every 15 seconds. They are so efficient! 

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Ministers from the 27 other states took just two minutes in Brussels to endorse new instructions to their negotiator Michel Barnier,...

Only to be exceeded by the EU parliament who rubber stamp a batch of multiple regulations every 15 seconds. They are so efficient! 

I imagine it only took 2 minutes because it was agreed by everyone from the beginning, when Britain asked for a transition period to ease the pain of Brexit.

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Yes that is true.  The EU doesn't want the UK to leave.  We are a major player and contributor and would leave  a real hole.  It was Britain who said "we are leaving".  However we thought that we could cut a deal and keep all the good bits and trade deals and dump the bits we didn't like.  Totally understandable as everyone would have that goal.

The EU is then put in a position where if they agree to the UK's demands then that would further weaken their own position and open the door for other countries to make similar demands and possibly leave.  Before the referendum they made it clear that they would make it as difficult and unattractive as they could for Britain to leave so nobody should be surprised by their current position.  It's exactly what we would have done in their position.  

The fact that the EU has to bully countries into staying in is as good a reason as any to leave. Can't you see where this whole EU thing is headed?

So they are offering regulation without representation?
Bend over sir.

Or they show their true aims!

Of course they are - we are the ones that have asked for a transition after we leave the EU. If we had wanted to keep our representation during this period then we could have asked for an extension to the Art 50 period.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, gamini said:

Not that old chestnut. The common market has gone. Lots of other freeloaders (countries) are in the EU now. I would disagree that the UK want to remain longer, it is the politicians who do, self preserving their own interests and not doing what the people voted for.

12 hours ago, Khun Han said:

The fact that the EU has to bully countries into staying in is as good a reason as any to leave. Can't you see where this whole EU thing is headed?

You are wasting your time, there are certain types of people living in the UK that would do absolutely anything to have the country divided and ruled by foreigners, they mostly live way up north and hate getting handouts from the rest of the UK because they could never go it alone  

3 hours ago, Orac said:

Of course they are - we are the ones that have asked for a transition after we leave the EU. If we had wanted to keep our representation during this period then we could have asked for an extension to the Art 50 period.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

actually the EU are also in favour of a transition as it makes sense but the terms definitely don't, all they are doing is alienating more and more of the British people

1 minute ago, smedly said:

actually the EU are also in favour of a transition as it makes sense but the terms definitely don't, all they are doing is alienating more and more of the British people

Of course they are - UK have agreed to play by their rules without input up to the key date of Dec '20 when their current budget finishes. Why should they worry about alienating the British people who are the ones that decided to leave.

27 minutes ago, Orac said:

Of course they are - UK have agreed to play by their rules without input up to the key date of Dec '20 when their current budget finishes. Why should they worry about alienating the British people who are the ones that decided to leave.

UK have agreed no such thing, are you baiting and trolling ???????

And of course they are worried about alienating the British because they want them to change their mind about leaving but it seems they have underestimated the resolve of the British and actually pissed them off even more - there is now anger not just sentiment to leave

keep the feet for dancing :post-4641-1156694572: