When Farangs Go Native

webfact

So many absurd posts from people who are worried they might be waiing incorrectly, few people really care. Why be in the slightest bit concerned about what other people think? It's such a heavy burden to shoulder.

And remember, if you are still buying toilet paper with your weekly shop, you never really 'got off the plane', no matter how good your Thai is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, curtklay said:

So what is a foreigner supposed to do when receiving a wai from a store clerk or some other "junior"?

Wai back, ignore them, or flip them the bird?

Just smile and acknowledge it with a nod, I  say Thank You in Thai and always get he smile.  Mutual respect

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I hope that's not you urinating in an alley.

Doesn't matter, look closely at the photo, the gray object behind the yellow posts is a natural gas meter, the utility poles are wood not concrete as here. The photo is apparently in the USA. 55555

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I can open a beer bottle using another. Does that mean I've gone native?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Only if you can do it without spraying the beer all over the place............

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I cannot even begin to describe how much I cringe when I see foreigners waiing everyone from supermarket cashiers to restaurant waiters, fish mongers in the wet market to go-go dancers, totally convinced that staying in the kingdom for a couple of months has made them "native" and that they're doing the right thing.

Even worse are those fellas I occasionally bump into at a bar,  those who think they have matured into genuine "Thailand experts" by spending two short vacations here and who feel compelled to start lecturing me about the Thai way of life, what to do and what not to do and who brag about their fantastic Thai-language skills (usually consisting of a few disjointed and wrongly pronounced words), and who are entirely ignorant of the fact that I've been living here for well over a quarter of a century, speak the local language almost fluently, and yes, know when, how and whom to wai. Brrrrr... shudder.

Maybe if you spoke up and told them you're a Thai expert, they'd stop lecturing you.

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I can open a beer bottle using another. Does that mean I've gone native?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Not bad, but you really need to be able to open a beer bottle with the cap of a large plastic bottle of coke too. Not to mention your teeth.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I cannot even begin to describe how much I cringe when I see foreigners waiing everyone from supermarket cashiers to restaurant waiters, fish mongers in the wet market to go-go dancers, totally convinced that staying in the kingdom for a couple of months has made them "native" and that they're doing the right thing.

Even worse are those fellas I occasionally bump into at a bar,  those who think they have matured into genuine "Thailand experts" by spending two short vacations here and who feel compelled to start lecturing me about the Thai way of life, what to do and what not to do and who brag about their fantastic Thai-language skills (usually consisting of a few disjointed and wrongly pronounced words), and who are entirely ignorant of the fact that I've been living here for well over a quarter of a century, speak the local language almost fluently, and yes, know when, how and whom to wai. Brrrrr... shudder.

Indeed. Why wai?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Don't you mean farang kee NGOK ?

There's a big difference.

Off my wife called me farang kee  nok, she wouldn't be my wife.

<<<<Thai language removed>>>> a difference for sure but not so much better,:sad: let's say miserly instead of low class, it's not really the big love anymore :biggrin:

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

9 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

my favourite it the holiday making male Thai expert that says KAA at the end of each sentence. LoL 
oops, someone already mentioned that, but I would doubt that shop keepers are the best language teachers...

Edited by KKr

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Ok, kee nok NEVER means being tight or stingy. That is kee ngok. You probably can't hear the difference but the initial consonant is different.

Farang kee nok is sometimes used to  refer to the uwashed backpacker types because of their appearance, not their monetary condition and very rude, something one's wife would never say. 

If they're being called stingy, it's ngok.

These are two completely different senses of the word kee, by the way, excrement vs. prone to a certain trait, i.e. kee mao, or kee nao.

The farang kee ngok you hear is nothing to do with bird or shit, as many beginners of Thai wrongly think.

The farang kee ngok you hear is nothing to do with bird or shit, as many beginners of Thai wrongly think.

Absolutely it is a prefix like in keekiat/lazy ,keeleum/absent minded, keeai/shy,  and many traits of character.

So nothing to do with the kee excrement, like the many kee nok on your car or the kee kwai in which you have just walked :smile:

ENGLISH

•  

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Ok, kee nok NEVER means being tight or stingy. That is kee ngok. You probably can't hear the difference but the initial consonant is different.

Farang kee nok is sometimes used to  refer to the uwashed backpacker types because of their appearance, not their monetary condition and very rude, something one's wife would never say. 

If they're being called stingy, it's ngok.

These are two completely different senses of the word kee, by the way, excrement vs. prone to a certain trait, i.e. kee mao, or kee nao.

Error... my page froze?

ENGLISH

•  
Edited by Tchooptip

a poser is a poser by any other name is still a poser  . lost people looking for direction and a reason for being ....back home they are known as dipshits , aholes , tards , commie pinko libshifts , .........ahhhh the world is interesting for sure .

7 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Thais don't like it when people bash their "culture", <deleted> out at the temple is a good recent example, and then bitch about people for trying too hard to not offend. How to win with these people. 

probably best to give up and go home

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikiea said:

a poser is a poser by any other name is still a poser  . lost people looking for direction and a reason for being ....back home they are known as dipshits , aholes , tards , commie pinko libshifts , .........ahhhh the world is interesting for sure .

Who is posing? Kirsty, Nate, or anyone else in the photo? 

It's sad but many newcomers, especially older 50+ years old guys seem to resent the fact that I work as a translator, and have learned to speak  the language fluently.  Hardly going native but wai people at the appropriate times, go to the temple occasionally and do the appropriate things, although not a Buddhist. I even wai certain statues, Erewan, Ganesh etc, am I a poser with lost direction - lol ? Btw, I've lived here for over 25 years. 

• Like 1