Apply for US social security

If they were born here and have never been to states it will not be possible. If they have been to the states you will need to prove it.
Those are the reasons I wrote it will not be easy.

Hi Joe, just looking for a little information. I applied for ssa benefits for my daughter who was born in the states. I told them I was working in Thailand and how much I was making. I sent them all the necessary documents and the benefits were granted. She just reached eighteen and when her benefits stopped they sent a form to fill out asking if she is still in school and I filled it out and returned it to them. Eventually they granted the extension. Now they have sent a letter saying if I was able to save any money while I was collecting the benefits for her I need to return the money and any interest earned. The benefits were used for her but because I was working and inherited some money I was able to save a fair bit. They are threatening asking for all the money back or cutting off my ssa benefits and possible jail time. I am a little confused because there was no mention of this when I applied. If I had known this at the time I may not have applied. I did use the vast majority of what they sent for her schooling and support and will return the unused money but since I am basically an honest person I dutifully file my income tax with the irs and file a fbar every year so they know exactly where I am at financially. I could return the money but that would put me in a bit of an unexpected bind. Have you ever run across someone in this predicament and are you able to steer me towards someone for professional advice? Sorry for the long winded post.