Apply for US social security

51 minutes ago, Koratjohn77 said:

The thing is that they really should have approved her social security disability it was from a car accident

And that is exactly why it was denied.  Social Security Disability want's to make sure that someone else pays first, and with no fault car insurance in the US now, they are always looking for someone else to ding.  Same is true for Workers Compensation

Your real problem,  now that she is here,  is finding an authorized US SS Disability doctor to perform an examination to insure that she is still "disabled" before you can appeal

22 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

And that is exactly why it was denied.  Social Security Disability want's to make sure that someone else pays first, and with no fault car insurance in the US now, they are always looking for someone else to ding.  Same is true for Workers Compensation

Your real problem,  now that she is here,  is finding an authorized US SS Disability doctor to perform an examination to insure that she is still "disabled" before you can appeal

She's already had all her exams done and she was certified disabled.  I don't care I make more than enough and next year when she's 62 they'll have to pay her.  Once she's of age next year they can't deny it.  

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Has anyone who resides in Thailand been able to create a My SSA account recently. It seems like you needed a U.S. address (or APO/FPO), and maybe a U.S. mobile number to receive an SMS, the last time I checked.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

And has anyone been able to receive a SSA-1099 for 2017? Can Manila provide that information?

I don't have a SSA online account due to concerns about needing a US address for fear it would make it appear I am living at that address.

I got the SSA-1099 in the mail last month at my address here.

Manila should be able to request one be sent to you.

• Like 1

I've rec'd my SSA-1099 via APO address a couple of weeks ago...and my neighbor here in my Bangkok moobaan using a Bangkok/international address got her's a couple of weeks ago also.

When the wife and I created our online accounts about 2 years ago you did need a US address (or APO/FPO) and there is no change to that policy as far as I know.  And that address is confirmed against a IRS federal tax filing records and/or credit reporting agencies as the SSA wants to confirm the address a person enters is not bogus. 

The address entry during the online creation process is primarily used to buck against IRS/credit reporting agency records to help confirm you identity..  The credit agency report used by the SSA is the one from Experian as I talked to a SSA rep and asked since we had a problem creating the wife's account using our APO address..  After the account is created a person can change their address.   

While the wife and I have always submitted a joint federal return using our APO address I "could" create my online account using that APO address, but the wife couldn't....she had to use the "last" address in the U.S. we lived at last.   Turns out that was the "last" address shown in her Experian credit report for her although the APO address was also reflected on her report it was not listed as the last one.  But for me our APO address was the last records.  We have always had the same address, moved as the same time over our decades of marriage...the credit report just had an error regarding last address.  So, the wife used our address in the U.S. that was around 8 years old to create her online account....then she changed/updated the address online.  Yeap, for the online account creation they buck the address you use against IRS/credit reporting agency data.

There is now a two step verification now which uses "either" your U.S. cell phone number or an email address.  For a few months they only accepted a cell phone number but the uproar over that caused the SSA to backtrack and now they will use either your U.S. cell phone number or email address.    The wife and I regularly log onto our accounts and get the logon verification code via our gmail email addresses....works fine.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3701/What-is-the-verification-process-you-use-to-set-up-a-my-Social-Security-online-account

• Like 1

States primarily control voting registration requirements (which varies somewhat from state to state) but the SSA online account is controlled solely federal laws/regulations. Just different rules/policies/etc.

Nice to know that Vladimir Hacker can only screw with my vote, and not my Social Security account.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

The address entry during the online creation process is primarily used to buck against IRS/credit reporting agency records to help confirm you identity..  The credit agency report used by the SSA is the one from Experian as I talked to a SSA rep and asked since we had a problem creating the wife's account using our APO address..  After the account is created a person can change their address.   

Update to above where I said above Experian was the credit reporting agency that the SSA uses to help confirm you identity.  While that was true several years ago when the wife and I open our online account (and as stated in this 2012 Experian media release and also use to be on the SSA website), the credit reporting agency that the SSA now uses as their "Identity Services Provider" is Equifax...see below weblink and snapshot for the SSA webpage.

https://www.ssa.gov/hlp/mySSA/df-idverification.html

image.png.a2023493af420de0db2946feb81a1c08.png

And as I mentioned earlier they also use info taken from the IRS...from your federal tax return such as address used on the return.

In the Youtube video above it makes it appear after you fill out the first page which includes your address that you then "jump right to" the identity/public data quiz.  But unless something has changed it will only go to that quiz page if the address you entered matches up with the address SSA gets from the IRS/Equifax....or what the SSA also refers to as the address they have onfile for you.    If it doesn't you get a type of error message like maybe they can't confirm the address....did you enter the address correctly, etc.

You will get three tries to get past this first page by entering acceptable info...if after the third try you don't, then SSA system locks you out.  And it use to be you could try again in 24 hours...once again get 3 tries to get an address match.   But if failing on your second set of tries it will lock you out and the only way to get unlocked is to call the SSA and ask for assistance....tell them the problem.

We had to do this for the wife when she just couldn't get past the first page where she kept entering our current APO address....our address for the last 8 years or so at the time....the address used on our IRS federal joint returns for 8 years...the address all our financial accounts had listed for 8 years, etc. 

Anyway, it turned our the SSA Identity Services Provider ,which was Experian at the time, didn't have our APO address as her "most recent address"....they had the address where we use to live at in the U.S. eight years earlier as her most current address.   Experian did have the APO address listed as one of the addresses she had lived at...just not as the latest...instead it had an eight year old address as the latest.  Just a case of not the best credit report agency records which we hear about all the time.  Anyway, during that call to SSA where they unlock the system so she could try some more the wife entered that older address and the SSA system accepted it and then went to the next page which had the identity/public records quiz which the wife got through....got the online account setup.   After getting the account setup she updated it to reflect her current address...the APO mailing address. 

So, even if you don't currently have a U.S. address since you are living in Thailand you still may be able to setup an SS online account "by using your previous/last U.S. address" if that happens to be the one that the IRS/Equifax has on-file for you.   Remember, you will get three tries to get the address match before the SSA would lock you from further online account registration attempts....and as mentioned  you use to be able to try again 24 hours later one more time but I can't say that's how it still works.  Too many address mismatches then you get totally locked out and have to call the SSA to get it unlocked/work through the account creation problem like the wife had to do.

13 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Thus, if the opportunity is available and back in the states, stop in at the SS office?

Yeap....at a SS Office I expect they can "initiate" the sign-up process for an online account, validate your identity by handing them identity docs, get an activation code sent to you, etc.  Having an activation code sent to you I guess overcomes some online account creation issues some people.  More info here: https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pib said:

Yeap....at a SS Office I expect they can "initiate" the sign-up process for an online account, validate your identity by handing them identity docs, get an activation code sent to you, etc.  Having an activation code sent to you I guess overcomes some online account creation issues some people.  More info here: https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

Every time I try to take a look at the possible payout, it always comes back SS number not accepted.

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Has anyone who resides in Thailand been able to create a My SSA account recently. It seems like you needed a U.S. address (or APO/FPO), and maybe a U.S. mobile number to receive an SMS, the last time I checked.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

And has anyone been able to receive a SSA-1099 for 2017? Can Manila provide that information?

I had trouble for years opening an account while IN the USA but not anywhere near my home address.  I even talked to agents on the phone that have "power" and they could not do it.  Then recently when I was in my home state and city even, I was able to create my account.  Coincidence?

13 hours ago, Pib said:

Update to above where I said above Experian was the credit reporting agency that the SSA uses to help confirm you identity.  While that was true several years ago when the wife and I open our online account (and as stated in this 2012 Experian media release and also use to be on the SSA website), the credit reporting agency that the SSA now uses as their "Identity Services Provider" is Equifax...see below weblink and snapshot for the SSA webpage.

https://www.ssa.gov/hlp/mySSA/df-idverification.html

image.png.a2023493af420de0db2946feb81a1c08.png

And as I mentioned earlier they also use info taken from the IRS...from your federal tax return such as address used on the return.

In the Youtube video above it makes it appear after you fill out the first page which includes your address that you then "jump right to" the identity/public data quiz.  But unless something has changed it will only go to that quiz page if the address you entered matches up with the address SSA gets from the IRS/Equifax....or what the SSA also refers to as the address they have onfile for you.    If it doesn't you get a type of error message like maybe they can't confirm the address....did you enter the address correctly, etc.

You will get three tries to get past this first page by entering acceptable info...if after the third try you don't, then SSA system locks you out.  And it use to be you could try again in 24 hours...once again get 3 tries to get an address match.   But if failing on your second set of tries it will lock you out and the only way to get unlocked is to call the SSA and ask for assistance....tell them the problem.

We had to do this for the wife when she just couldn't get past the first page where she kept entering our current APO address....our address for the last 8 years or so at the time....the address used on our IRS federal joint returns for 8 years...the address all our financial accounts had listed for 8 years, etc. 

Anyway, it turned our the SSA Identity Services Provider ,which was Experian at the time, didn't have our APO address as her "most recent address"....they had the address where we use to live at in the U.S. eight years earlier as her most current address.   Experian did have the APO address listed as one of the addresses she had lived at...just not as the latest...instead it had an eight year old address as the latest.  Just a case of not the best credit report agency records which we hear about all the time.  Anyway, during that call to SSA where they unlock the system so she could try some more the wife entered that older address and the SSA system accepted it and then went to the next page which had the identity/public records quiz which the wife got through....got the online account setup.   After getting the account setup she updated it to reflect her current address...the APO mailing address. 

So, even if you don't currently have a U.S. address since you are living in Thailand you still may be able to setup an SS online account "by using your previous/last U.S. address" if that happens to be the one that the IRS/Equifax has on-file for you.   Remember, you will get three tries to get the address match before the SSA would lock you from further online account registration attempts....and as mentioned  you use to be able to try again 24 hours later one more time but I can't say that's how it still works.  Too many address mismatches then you get totally locked out and have to call the SSA to get it unlocked/work through the account creation problem like the wife had to do.

Yes, I believe on one of the emails I received it did mention something about equifax.  Sick to have to rely upon their crap

I don't think you can set up an online account without a "real"  US address

I did have a US address and a MagicJack phone number for the required telephone call from my local Social Security Office.  So I had no trouble setting it up online once I realized I had to do it during SS business hours

The main purpose of the phone call appears to be to verify exactly which date you want the payments to start.  The  CSR I talked with gave me several dates and the impact each would have on the amount I would receive, minimal difference,  but it must be a rule that they get you to verbally agree to your start date ( which may be different from your monthly  check issuance date)

I started mine 4 years ago and don't remember the SSA Identity Services Provider as mentioned by Pib previously but may have occurred in the background since my address was a physical address 

13 hours ago, Rhys said:

Every time I try to take a look at the possible payout, it always comes back SS number not accepted.

Where you say "....take a look at possible payout...", do you mean in trying to register/sign-up for an online account?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 11:26 AM, Pib said:

Where you say "....take a look at possible payout...", do you mean in trying to register/sign-up for an online account?

It was on the SS site...  It is the benefits calculator....

• 3 months later...
On 2/6/2018 at 3:46 PM, ubonjoe said:

He is writing about children's benefits. See: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

But not easy to get for children born and living here.

Hi UbonJoe...as i will shortly be in the position to look at collecting SS children's benefits, i am wondering  why it is not easy to collect here in Thailand...

i hope you are able to give me a "heads up" regarding this...

cheers

1 hour ago, NZAMBOY said:

Hi UbonJoe...as i will shortly be in the position to look at collecting SS children's benefits, i am wondering  why it is not easy to collect here in Thailand...

i hope you are able to give me a "heads up" regarding this...

cheers

If they were born here and have never been to states it will not be possible. If they have been to the states you will need to prove it.

Those are the reasons I wrote it will not be easy.

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Hi Pip...thank you for your help...as i read the residency requirements, since i am a US citizen who has lived in the States for 50 years and am resident of a country(NZ) which does not have an SS agreement with the US, it would seem i do qualify for dependent child SS payments...

what do you think??

cheers, James

3 hours ago, NZAMBOY said:

Hi Pip...thank you for your help...as i read the residency requirements, since i am a US citizen who has lived in the States for 50 years and am resident of a country(NZ) which does not have an SS agreement with the US, it would seem i do qualify for dependent child SS payments...

what do you think??

cheers, James

I'm not an expert....would be best to ask the Social Security Agency.  Expect a lot will depend on the residency of your dependent child.  You haven't said which country your dependent child is a resident of.   I was under the assumption you were talking at dependent child in Thailand.   Best to contact the SSA---only their answer matters.

Edited by Pib
1 hour ago, Pib said:

I'm not an expert....would be best to ask the Social Security Agency.  Expect a lot will depend on the residency of your dependent child.  You haven't said which country your dependent child is a resident of.   I was under the assumption you were talking at dependent child in Thailand.   Best to contact the SSA---only their answer matters.

my young daughter has US, NZ, and Thai passports...i will ring SSA  now that i have a bit for info...again thanks for you help?

11 hours ago, steveb6 said:

How about if you have a newborn baby born in thailand. is it possible to get additional benefits for the baby?

newborn is my case as well...and yes, it seems SS child benefits are available if you meet the criteria...the amt is 50% of your monthly SS retirement benefit...good luck!!!

4 hours ago, steveb6 said:

Glad to know I am not alone making a baby at 65. Do you know what the criteria is? 

Same here?...a first for me, so more than special!!!...i'll certainly not have any excuse for being one of those bored old guys?

if you take a look at an earlier reply, you will see much of the criteria...the only doubt i might have is for a person living in Thailand with a retirement visa...not sure if that qualifies as an official type residency...in my case i will be applying from New Zealand which i am a citizen as well...

• 5 months later...